Changing a transmission by yourself sucks v. FML

Browning

Clutch is aligned, pressure plate bolted down and the bellhousing is mounted. I cannot get this fucking transmission to go in and it's got me to the point where it's almost time to start throwing wrenches.

Maybe I'm not putting the transmission in straight since it's only me doing it, I dunno.

Pull the input shaft out of the trans and insert into clutch, bolt the trans to bellhousing. Sell the truck and tell them it just needs a battery, don't forget to take the battery out.

lol

Heres how to make it worse, ask somebody to come help who thinks they know transmissions only for them to get there after your hopes are high and then realize they have no knowledge of transmissions. No dont do that it sucks as well:(

yea, none of my friends are mechanically inclined. There's a transmission 1/4 mile up the road. Talked to them about an hour ago and they said they'd do it for $100-$150 but are pretty backed up. Told me if I need them to just come back and he'd try to squeeze me in.

Get some bolts that are the same thread pitch, only a good 2-3 inches longer. You can insert a couple of those, at opposing corners, and pull it into place. Then you can get some of the real bolts in, and swap out the long ones.

f the jack set it on your chest and bench it straight up and slip it in

That's what I've done. You just need to manhandle it in there. I don't care what they say, even if you use the alignment tool, you still have to finesse it in there.

input shaft splines arent lined up.. keep at it youll get it.

did this several times in some of my stangs.. bench press the trans up slip it in and turn the tail shaft a tad till it falls in place.. then put a few bolts in and tighten it down.

first-do not use longer bolts bad idea to bind the fucker in there. if it doesnt go right in theres a problem

Second-make sure the two components you are attempting place together are aligned properly. (generally pulling up or down on the tailshaft housing with the tranny up on the jack if ur a pussy works.

third-be a man and dont use the jack goes in so much easier and u have much more control of the tranny. this is even easier on a transmission that has a removable bellhousing. if the truck is too high take the fucking wheels off and put short stands on the frame.

fourth- make use that the motor isnt being held up most likely or possibly even too low by the jack or whatever u are holding it up by.

fifth-this was the only useful piece of information in this thread other than what gearhead already reccommended. except you may not have the tranny far enough in to engage the splines or it may be binding the input shaft tip that contacts the pilot bushing agsinst the top of the disc splines.