Did you hear a "big boom" last Wednesday (2/4/09) night?

Casper

Yeah but for one they are shown on radar (unless it is the F-22 or the SR-71 being the only stealth planes that can break the sound barrier that we know of), for two fighters make a huge sonic boom because they fly relatively low, and even though they may not follow the rules, the law is very strict about sonic booms over the US and they will get shit canned unless they have a huge emergency.

Your kidding right.. I really hope so. F22 and SR71 only planes that can break the sound barrier.. hahahahah thats funny and you dont seem to know much about airplanes. also, you have no idea what shows up on radar and what doesnt because you dont have access to it. And as far as your sonic boom comment about flying low.... Sonic booms happen at all altitudes and the boom actually travels downwards trailing the plane.. research it if you dont believe me. Yes there are rules but you have no idea why a plane may be traveling at the speeds it is.. If you want to think its some conspiracy then go ahead but understand what your talking about before you make yourself look foolish.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your kidding right.. I really hope so. F22 and SR71 only planes that can break the sound barrier.. hahahahah thats funny and you dont seem to know much about airplanes. also, you have no idea what shows up on radar and what doesnt because you dont have access to it. And as far as your sonic boom comment about flying low.... Sonic booms happen at all altitudes and the boom actually travels downwards trailing the plane.. research it if you dont believe me. Yes there are rules but you have no idea why a plane may be traveling at the speeds it is.. If you want to think its some conspiracy then go ahead but understand what your talking about before you make yourself look foolish.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I saw TomCat and thought ReconRat. ReconRat Tom knows all about jets. My bad. Must have been tired. Don't know how I read the screennames wrong.

I think he meant stealth capable aircraft that are also Mach capable. The current stealth fighters and bombers are not Mach capable.

I know there is a way to break the barrier without a large footprint. Meaning half the state can't hear it. I just can't remember how it's done.

The Raptor and blackbird are stealth and Mach capable.

One of the people I'd trust on this topic is Tom....... He was an aviation engineer or some shit for Boeing or Lockheed (sorry Tom, I forget) for a long time. Aaron, you may be picking the wrong person to argue with on this topic.

:lol:

Well he did say that the F22 and SR71 were the only planes capable of breaking the sound barrier.. We all know that is wrong. I guess a pic is worth a 1000 words so here ya go ben.. Im sure you will have some smart ass response as usual. And why are you all assuming it has to be a stealth plane.. do you have radar capabilites at your house.. NO.. and do you have access to know what is being reported or allowed to be discussed by ATC.. once again NO.. And none of you know if some jocky got his ass chewed for breaking the speed limits and creating a sonic boom. Maybe I misread his post wrong and if so I apologize.. Go ahead and enjoy your tin foil hats if thats what you want to believe but your making a mountain out of a mole hill.

f14vf32%20sound%20barrier%20side.jpg

sound_barrier.jpg

sound_barrier_2.jpg

sound_barrier_6.jpg

iaf_f15i_pass_sound_barrier.jpg

Edited by flounder

easy, easy, easy...i did say the only two STEALTH planes we know of that can break the sound barrier...I know a few ATC's and there are things they can and cannot talk about and i also know quite a few military pilots. Also the higher up you are the less dense the air is so for one it is easier to break the sound barrier and for two it doesnt have as big of an impact (less noise). So yes I do know that unless it is a national air emergency military pilots will get their ass chewed (unless it is over a military range such as those out west at Nellies AFB outside Las Vegas or something similar. I didnt know there was some rule against fun speculating about something wierd that happened. Especially when its cold as balls outside and and no one can ride.

i was in canal winchester yesterday morning by walmart like 11am and I heard it again. It was coming from the direction of Rickenbacker. When I lived in new york I was in the flight path of JFK airport and we had concords fly over us every day. It was the same exact sound and rumbling as the concord.

easy, easy, easy...i did say the only two STEALTH planes we know of that can break the sound barrier...I know a few ATC's and there are things they can and cannot talk about and i also know quite a few military pilots. Also the higher up you are the less dense the air is so for one it is easier to break the sound barrier and for two it doesnt have as big of an impact (less noise). So yes I do know that unless it is a national air emergency military pilots will get their ass chewed (unless it is over a military range such as those out west at Nellies AFB outside Las Vegas or something similar. I didnt know there was some rule against fun speculating about something wierd that happened. Especially when its cold as balls outside and and no one can ride.

I was drinking last night.. I didnt mean to come off harsh towards you.. Also. it seems that Ben likes to try and push my buttons recently which we all know doesnt take much with me. No offense to either of you. Ive been on edge a bit lately.. Its all good. :grin:

well all of those pics are planes about to break the sound barrier or have just broken the sound barrier. What you are thinking of (i think) is something very similar. It can happen on leading edges and wing tips due to the concentration and condensation of water molecules in the air combined with a sharp temperature change. Here are pics ...

Lhttp://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/0/7/1/0687170.jpg

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/3/1/0/0705013.jpg

L

Your mom travels at transonic speeds.

That's better than subsonic right? :lol:

well all of those pics are planes about to break the sound barrier or have just broken the sound barrier. What you are thinking of (i think) is something very similar. It can happen on leading edges and wing tips due to the concentration and condensation of water molecules in the air combined with a sharp temperature change. Here are pics ...

Lhttp://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/0/7/1/0687170.jpg

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/3/1/0/0705013.jpg

L

You don't have to actually have to break the sound barrier to get that affect is the point. This is one I could find I took at the last air show. Not the best example/angle but it's the only one I've taken and know where it is.

337031958_xpjKD-M.jpg

Which is obviously different from:

337032142_TjRuP-M.jpg

or

337033493_YoAB8-M.jpg

This one may have been getting closer....

337033552_uffKw-M.jpg

Edited by fusion
Stupid people won't stay out of my cube and make me work.