I AM GETTING A NEW CAR! which is a better buy???

Guest JCroz91

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Removed
is it too much? cam priced his out... cause he wants to build his. he said it costs 3-4 grand

dont know what he is looking at..but i can tell you they sell built bottom ends for that much.

you have to look at alot of stuff building one.

parts(better figure more then what you think will cover it, trust me)

machine work.

putting it together

and all the supporting mods. fuel, drive line, and so on.

most common things people think dont think about building something like you talking about.

At that age I would not be wasting it on a car, I would invest it a little smarter. I have not paid more than 3K for any one of my cars before the bashing starts onhow many I have and have had. AND I have made money on every one of them so far. The MR2 will be the first I don't make money on, but I'm not selling it anytime soon.

dont know what he is looking at..but i can tell you they sell built bottom ends for that much.

you have to look at alot of stuff building one.

parts(better figure more then what you think will cover it, trust me)

machine work.

putting it together

and all the supporting mods. fuel, drive line, and so on.

most common things people think dont think about building something like you talking about.

This is what i was trying to say...mine was way more than 3-4k

you're 19, about to get $17,000, and you're deciding to drop it on a car?

i know i was younger and stupid before, but holy shit, thats a new level. save your money and put it into something that will turn it into more money. you can get the car you want, and you'll be bored with it before you know it.

It took 27 post before someone became the voice of reason.

Sell your mustang, buy a nice regular daily and bank the rest of the money then shop for a fast car after your insurance drops to a decent rate. Why drop all this money into something your going to get bored with after a season or two of driving? Chances are you'll get a few more tickets and your insurance will get so rediculous you wont be able to afford the damn thing anyway.

plan #1

1)save money

2)spend money on college/school

3)buy cheap, reliable daily with liability insurance

4)save money on insurance

5)get degree and good job

6)buy sports car once insurance has gone down and you can afford car of your choice

plan #2

1)drop your money on USED car

2)pay the same amount per month on insurance that i pay on my GTO loan (i bought my GTO 2.5 years ago with 11k miles on it, and pay less than $400/month)

3)drop ALL your money on building a solid foundation on a 7 year old rattle trap--built motor, built transmission, built rear end, parts, parts, parts

4)work at mcdonalds

5)car breaks repeatedly

6)repeat steps 1-5

Yah, I had to laugh when I read he was:

wants to buy a mustang to mod to go fast, but can't afford the insurance on a Cobra

pays out the ass in insurance because of points on his license (undoubtely most due to going FASTer than the law allows)

wants to build something to go FASTER than his brother before he's 20

What the fuck is wrong with kids these days?

Yah, I had to laugh when I read he was:

wants to buy a mustang to mod to go fast, but can't afford the insurance on a Cobra

pays out the ass in insurance because of points on his license (undoubtely most due to going FASTer than the law allows)

wants to build something to go FASTER than his brother before he's 20

What the fuck is wrong with kids these days?

I agree!! Use the money for college or something better then a car. Do you still live at home? are you in college? That is so funny your insurance is that high lol holy shit and you want to blow it on aftermarket parts? sweet

Guest JCroz91
Get some credit cards and buy even BETTER parts. $17K only goes so far.

got a credit card already...

and rents are paying for school as long as i get good grades. i live at home so i have nothing to spend the $ on and i would like something to show for it concidering i work full time.

got a credit card already...

and rents are paying for school as long as i get good grades. i live at home so i have nothing to spend the $ on and i would like something to show for it concidering i work full time.

Fair enough, here are some real numbers.

At 11% (the avg rate of the stock market over its lifetime):

$17K invested at 19 and pulled out at 60 would equal $1.226M.

$17K invested at 30 and pulled out at 60 would equal $389,169.

Or, you could buy some stupid car that will break when you drive it fast.

Maybe grow up a bit and wait until your insurance rates drop, instead of blowing all of your money on a car.

Perhaps focus some of that money towards an education. Or at least buy a car with cheap rates until you can get regular insurance again. You have plenty of time to build a fast car, and if you have so many points @ 19 that you have to have special insurance, you probably aren't mature enough to be owning a 400+ RWHP car.

But I am sure all the young guys on here are going to flame me for speaking about making a mature decision.

Guest JCroz91
Fair enough, here are some real numbers.

At 11% (the avg rate of the stock market over its lifetime):

$17K invested at 19 and pulled out at 60 would equal $1.226M.

$17K invested at 30 and pulled out at 60 would equal $389,169.

Or, you could buy some stupid car that will break when you drive it fast.

heres some real facts too...

invest your $ when your 18... do nothing with your life and look back when ur 60 and wish you enjoyed your college years.

or

buy a car and enjoy it while im young. and become an engineer (my major) and still have fun when im 60 :bangbang:

i thought being on a car site the guys would support me getting a car not tell me to buy a mini van and become a soccer dad for the rest of my life... till im 60

invest your $ when your 18... do nothing with your life and look back when ur 60 and wish you enjoyed your college years.

or

buy a car and enjoy it while im young. and become an engineer (my major) and still have fun when im 60 :bangbang:

i thought being on a car site the guys would support me getting a car not tell me to buy a mini van and become a soccer dad for the rest of my life... till im 60

no, concentrate on your education first---older people on this site like me and others, know exactly what kind of money pits these cars can be---buy a 7-8 year old car, double the horsepower, and tons of things break. nothing sucks more than needing reliable transportation and not having it. having to fix broken parts when you don't have shit for money. you're also paying a very nice "car payment" worth in insurance every month. all the more reason to hold off until whatever monstrosity is off your driving record, and insurance is cheaper.

sure your parents will pay for college---but are they paying for food/beer/entertainment?? THAT is what enjoying your college years is all about. are you commuting to college from home?? you will not get the full college experience unless you live on your own/with other friends.

once you graduate college you can afford to buy many other cars and afford to have a backup car, and be able to afford this expensive hobby. i've got a wife and 3 kids---you don't see a minivan in my sig.

i bought a 10 year old fox in '97 as a jr in college for $3500. while i resisted the urge to dump tons of money into it, i quickly realized that modding the car and enjoying college to the fullest did not go hand in hand. if you work while in college and dump all your free money/time into this car (which WILL happen), you will not be happy in the end

you asked for advice here.

i bought a 10 year old fox in '97 as a jr in college for $3500. while i resisted the urge to dump tons of money into it, i quickly realized that modding the car and enjoying college to the fullest did not go hand in hand. if you work while in college and dump all your free money/time into this car (which WILL happen), you will not be happy in the end

you asked for advice here.

This, except I bought a Cobra when I was 18.

or

Well then, by all means blow that money. I'm not speaking from experience or anything.

Between just me, Kirk, and Hal, let alone the other who have spoken up in this thread, we are some of the smartest people on the board, and we all disagree with your outlook. Something to consider. :)

Guest JCroz91
Here's a tip, do whatever the fuck you want. You already know what answer you want, just go do it.

well i wasnt asking for life advise...

everyone on here got wayy off topic. the question was mach 1 or gt? and the answers im getting are to not get a car.

im getting a car. thats y i made the thread.

Well then, by all means blow that money. I'm not speaking from experience or anything.

Between just me, Kirk, and Hal, let alone the other who have spoken up in this thread, we are some of the smartest people on the board, and we all disagree with your outlook. Something to consider. :)

oh i agree... and i respect all of you a lot trust me. but we can agree to disagree.

obviously like a lot of you have said most of you did similar things when you were my age. obviously its living and learning. i had 13k when i was 16 and bought the car i have now with that and dont regret it one bit. yes i could invest a lot of my $ in stocks or a credit union. but why do that so early? these are supposed to be the best years of my life. im not trying to waste them by having all the $ i have worked for locked up somewhere when i cant b 100% sure ill even be around to enjoy it.

like i said before. the question was simply mach 1 or gt?

right on, well i liked derek's mach1 MUCH better than my 2000 gt, but I paid $4250 for my 2000 gt w/ 70k on it loaded, and he paid $18k for his 2004 mach1 w/ 35k on it.

So you have to weigh that in there too, I didn't want a car payment, he had a large car payment. If I would have upgraded the suspension/braking it would've helped, as they felt a bit worn out with 70k on it, not as tight as his mach1, and his car was faster obviously, but I had a lot of money to spend to even touch his purchase price, another thing to think about.

Personally I'd buy a cheap nice GT w/ decent miles, an on3performance turbo kit, full kmember setup up front, build the rear, and be happy with 420-450whp/tq on a stock motor until its time to upgrade, but depending on how you treat it it could last.

GT - $5k or less if you look

Turbo kit - $2500ish

Kmember/extras - $500ish - used

built rear - buy used - i paid $750 for a built rear with 4:10's/31splines/cobra diff

or just swap a 4.6 in your car, your car is nice already, you can find an engine/trans for under $2k with decent miles....and the ideas go on...