Spinoff Thread: Sushi

El Karacho1647545492

I cant believe so many people spelled Akai Hana wrong. (used to be called restaurant japan)

Nonetheless Akai Hana is one of the best sushi place in town.

But if I want some straight up sashimi, I go to tensuke market and get some.

its because the new owners are not japanese I think they are korean. I asked the guy why they named it with "akai" hana and he said because of a restraunt chain in california.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lunch, bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/CLovaR1/sush.jpg

wheres that. looks good. im more for the rolls, but i think next time i go out, im going to try the ones with the fish just laying on the rice (sashimi, right?)

wheres that. looks good. im more for the rolls, but i think next time i go out, im going to try the ones with the fish just laying on the rice (sashimi, right?)

No, that's still Sushi. Sushi refers to the vinegared rice. Sashmi is the raw fish all by itself with no rice. The difference is that the ones with the fish on top are called Nigiri or Nigirizushi. The rolls are Maki or Makizushi.

Interesting fact: Sushi was originally Japanese fast-food for the working-class.

No, that's still Sushi. Sushi refers to the vinegared rice. Sashmi is the raw fish all by itself with no rice. The difference is that the ones with the fish on top are called Nigiri or Nigirizushi. The rolls are Maki or Makizushi.

Interesting fact: Sushi was originally Japanese fast-food for the working-class.

thats it. i knew the rolls were maki but couldnt remember whats pictured above...ive never eaten it

If you are looking for really really good sushi and be willing to spend the money for it. Benihana at Polaris has a good selection. They also have All you can eat sushi for $26. Oh Snap!!!

I am so going to hit that up one day.

if the food at edamame is like asian gourmet, i will check that off my list of places to go

went to akai hana tonight. holy fuck it was good. got some of the gyoza (?) dumplings, fried...was good. also has salmon/avocado/cream cheese roll - $5.50, buckeye roll (sweet potato tempura, eel, and something else), $9.25ish, that was REALLY good, and also got yellow tail $5....

it was all amazingly good. ill go back, but probably not as often since sapporo is closer and just about as good

good reccomendation though. i give it a 8.5/10. slow service (sat there for probably 10 minutes before anyone came up to take our drink order), and took a while for the food to come out.

Doc and I agree that Yoshi's off Frantz Rd. has the best sushi anywhere that we've ever been.. hands down.

Matter of fact, I ate there last night. It's always crowded late. 5-6 p.m. is a good time because it is usually pretty empty. There's a dining room in the back that's pretty much Japanese patrons only.

Last night there was a company party, which made things even busier.

I can't see you eating better sushi for the price. Yoshi himself is the sushi chef, and he's a perfectionist.

All this talk about sushi, when is CR going to do a sushi meet?

if the food at edamame is like asian gourmet, i will check that off my list of places to go

went to akai hana tonight. holy fuck it was good. got some of the gyoza (?) dumplings, fried...was good. also has salmon/avocado/cream cheese roll - $5.50, buckeye roll (sweet potato tempura, eel, and something else), $9.25ish, that was REALLY good, and also got yellow tail $5....

it was all amazingly good. ill go back, but probably not as often since sapporo is closer and just about as good

good reccomendation though. i give it a 8.5/10. slow service (sat there for probably 10 minutes before anyone came up to take our drink order), and took a while for the food to come out.

odd, I've never had slow service there. Also I've always thought that Akai tasted better than Sapporo in Westerville. We used to eat there all the time when I went to Otterbein, and Sapporo was the first place I had sushi, and I was never really that into it. The first time I went to Akai, it hooked me on sushi.

Matter of fact, I ate there last night. It's always crowded late. 5-6 p.m. is a good time because it is usually pretty empty. There's a dining room in the back that's pretty much Japanese patrons only.

Last night there was a company party, which made things even busier.

I can't see you eating better sushi for the price. Yoshi himself is the sushi chef, and he's a perfectionist.

All this talk about sushi, when is CR going to do a sushi meet?

As long as it's good sushi, I'm in. Sushi En on Polaris will not do. But I'd like to try this Yoshi's, and I'm always up for Akai Hana.

As long as it's good sushi, I'm in. Sushi En on Polaris will not do. But I'd like to try this Yoshi's, and I'm always up for Akai Hana.

Agreed. I've never tried Akai Hana, but from the previous posts, it has some devoted fans. Maybe a few people have some problems with poor service there ? I'd still be willing to try it.

I'm also fine with introducing folks to Yoshi's, but as I mentioned above, it's crowded late. Make a sushi meet thread, and I'll attend :p

It still is, just not in the united states much, I still use a bento box everyday for lunch with some type of "sushi" for lunch. Dont get me wrong I love all types of food usually on my days off. The days I work its mostly japanese because thats easy for me or my girlfriend to make.

If you guys go out and get sushi some time this week, Go out and try something on the menu you never had. TRY the sea urchent its expensive but its weird and yet very good all in one. Only down side is its almost 6 bucks a peice.

Either way if you guys want to try good BEEF akai hana is the only place in ohio that serves real Wagyū beef that is imported fresh, if you think Amercian beef is good you should give it a try. I know its expensive but its well worth it, if you have the extra cash to blow..

I'm also fine with introducing folks to Yoshi's, but as I mentioned above, it's crowded late. Make a sushi meet thread, and I'll attend :p

I would definitely be down for doing that too. Might be late, but I can pop over after work.

• 1 month later...

meant to update this a while ago...went back to akai hana with the g/f and her family (sister, sisters b/f and friend, and mom). funny that we actually got food a little quicker than when it was just the 2 of us. g/fs mom is a really picky eater, so i was surprised she even went...ordered some pork cutlet, so i cant really say she tried anything new, and the g/fs sister and her friend had chicken teriyake and the b/f had teriyake salmon. next time im not taking everyone out to an asian joint if they're going to eat shit i can get at applebees for half as much.

although, for 6 people to eat, it was $150 with tip, so i didnt think it was too bad. sushi was pretty good again. one of my rolls the rice was a little dry, but i still filled up. ate a salmon roll w/ avocado and cream cheese, a yellow tail roll, buckeye roll, and the few pieces of salmon roll and buckeye roll my g/f didnt eat. i was STUFFED.

gonna have to try this yoshi's place..

I still contend that Blue Ginger is the best Sushi place in the Dublin area. I had some very good rolls there as of late, including some spicy tuna, salmon, and other fish rolls.

I would def. recommend it, especially for the Sushi advocate who has a non Sushi eating significant other. They make the best "chinese" food I've had in the central Ohio area. I would vote Blue Ginger tied for first with Asian Gourmet, and third place goes to PF Changs, for Chinese food restaurants.

I think CR's about due for another Sushi raid--this time at Yoshi's.

Suggested days/times?

I'll try to keep my eyes peeled for ths so I don't miss it again.

I went to Yoshi's with some friends who really enjoy Japanese food. I think I find Akai Hana's sushi more to my liking. But any chef can have a bad day, so I won't write off Yoshi's. My friends on the other hand were blown away by the food and loved Yoshi's. So I'll likely be going back there again.