Would you trade your car for sports cards?

Sully

Evidently, this guy has about 4 million sports cards. He's wanting to trade them for a car in the $16K - $18K range.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-wanted/1219738-wtt-4-million-sports-cards-car.html

Think about it for a second. If you sold every card for .01, you would have $40,000. However, I bet there are quite a few cards that would be worth $5, $10, $15, if not more. So, let's say it averages out to .50 per card, that's $2 million.

You could easily bundle 100 cards, take a few pics, put those 100 cards on ebay and make $50 or so with each bundle.

Would you do it?

Yeah, and how much long would it take you to catalog 4 million sports cards? Seriously, has he even seen them all? Probably all crap since if any were worth anything he would have separated them out when he saw them.

Guest tbutera2112
Damn, I'd do it if I were willing to take the time to do some research on what each one was worth and then take the time to sell them. Might end up with $50K

i would say much much more than 50k...

Guest tbutera2112
I originally put down 60K, but like Rymer said, I'm sure the dude wont give you anything thats actually worth a damn...maybe he will

he listed off a list of some that were definately valuable....but he also says he just traded some cards for a 60g ps3 and some cash...so idk how many good cards would be left by the time someone goes to trade, if hes already parting with some

Been watching that thread (and he has several others in different sections and forums). Last I saw, he could only produce pics of "< 50,000" and the pics looked like MUCH fewer than 50k.

Like someone else pointed out, just because a book says an 87 Topps common is worth $.20, you will never find anyone to actually give you that $.20.

No, I would never do that trade for an $18k car.

I have around 15,000 cards, all baseball. Maybe I could trade them for a moped?

The problem with (apparently, from stuff in the thread) mostly 80s baseball cards is that nobody actually BUYS them. Sure, they may have a value listed in Beckett, but those are STICKER prices (from certain shops), not actual selling prices. Outside of a few of the best players rookie cards and certain error cards (the 87 Fleer Billy Ripken 'Fuck Face' card...), there just isn't a market for them.

Not surprised the value dropped, now if it had been CAL Ripken...

I dropped out of baseball cards when it became obvious the '94 strike was going to end the season early. Between that and all the "buy in bulk lots" ads in Beckett, it was REALLY obvious the market was going to crash out.

I would do it. I have 10k+ cards in storage. I have an entire display which gets setup at a store and all the card boxes still all wrapped up nice and new. Its from the year Jordan was a rookie. They were saying at the time there should be about 6 rookie cards of his in each display. I know its not what it was, but whats a jordan rookie card going for? I dont remember the manuf.

Hasn't been much of a market for cards for quite a few years now. It just kinda died out. Like the comic book trade. Yes, it still exists, but not in the form it once was. After my divorce, I got rid of alot of most of my cards. Luckily, things hadn't gone too far south at the time and I made some great money. I'd be pretty hard pressed to deal with that shit now unless I had something really good to trade/sale.

baseball cards took a hit in 94 during the strike and an even bigger hit when almost everybody who put up good numbers in the 80's and 90's admitted to being on juice

I've got stacks of cards I'm just going to give them to my boys when they get old enough to collect them if they even still make baseball cards then :)

I have over 400k cards, litterally. I was bored 1 year during spring break in 7th grade, it rained all fucking week so I counted baseball cards with my buddy. Yes we was that damn bored lol, anyways there is 0 market for these things anymore. I remember during the 1998 season Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa rookie cards were going for up to 400 a piece, I have over 100 of each and thought "boy these will be worth a fortune when I am older" well here we are 11 years later and they are worth 5 bucks, prob less now that McGwire has came out and admitted he used roids.

I have cards from the 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's and 2000's. 2 Uncles, dad and neighbor all gave me their ball cards, not to mention the ones I collected over a period of 15 years or so when I was heavy into ball cards and sports in general. If I could get .10 cents per card I'd be super happy lol. Unfortunately unless you swindle an elementary school kid your not going to get jack shit out of them.

This topic makes me wanna go through my ball cards now damnit

I have over 400k cards, litterally. I was bored 1 year during spring break in 7th grade, it rained all fucking week so I counted baseball cards with my buddy. Yes we was that damn bored lol, anyways there is 0 market for these things anymore. I remember during the 1998 season Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa rookie cards were going for up to 400 a piece, I have over 100 of each and thought "boy these will be worth a fortune when I am older" well here we are 11 years later and they are worth 5 bucks, prob less now that McGwire has came out and admitted he used roids.

I have cards from the 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's and 2000's. 2 Uncles, dad and neighbor all gave me their ball cards, not to mention the ones I collected over a period of 15 years or so when I was heavy into ball cards and sports in general. If I could get .10 cents per card I'd be super happy lol. Unfortunately unless you swindle an elementary school kid your not going to get jack shit out of them.

This topic makes me wanna go through my ball cards now damnit

If you have cards from the '50s up to '70 I'd be interested in them.