This guys balls are bigger and thougher than yours

Trouble Maker

One question....

excuse me for my lack of knowledge here.. but

is there a limit on how fast an object can fall?

i know drag and size and weight are all factors but still can a falling object reach the speed of sound seems to me it would have to have some kinda of force driving it to reach that speed

i know when i went sky diving i was told we would hit a 120mph

he is saying he is going to get over 768mph..

just doesnt seem right unless im missing something

but either way..

DAMN!!! thats crazy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know when i went sky diving i was told we would hit a 120mph

he is saying he is going to get over 768mph..

just doesnt seem right unless im missing something

Thats because you didnt go as high as this dude, so terminal velocity was still a factor. But this dude will be in the very upper atmosphere where he doesnt have as much friction working against him. Trouble Maker explained it in an earlier post.

Wiki says:

Based on wind resistance, for example, the terminal velocity of a skydiver in a free-fall position with a semi-closed parachute is about 195 km/h (120 mph or 55 m/s).[2] This velocity is the asymptotic limiting value of the acceleration process, because the effective forces on the body balance each other more and more closely as the terminal velocity is approached. In this example, a speed of 50% of terminal velocity is reached after only about 3 seconds, while it takes 8 seconds to reach 90%, 15 seconds to reach 99% and so on. Higher speeds can be attained if the skydiver pulls in his or her limbs (see also freeflying). In this case, the terminal velocity increases to about 320 km/h (200 mph or 90 m/s),[2] which is also the terminal velocity of the peregrine falcon diving down on its prey.[3] And the same terminal velocity is reached for a typical 150 grain bullet travelling in the downward vertical direction — when it is returning to earth having been fired upwards, or perhaps just dropped from a tower — according to a 1920 U.S. Army Ordnance study.[4]

Competition speed skydivers fly in the head down position reaching even higher speeds. The current world record is 614 mph (988 km/h) by Joseph Kittinger, set at high altitude where the lesser density of the atmosphere decreased drag.[2]