Gauging interest in meat and eggs.

Akula

Ok, so some interest, thanks for leaving it up Ant.

To answer some questions.

"Are they organic?" NO!! I don't believe in the government regulating my methods. Organic typically means "Trucked thousands of miles." Which, defeats my purpose of less impact on the environment. I use no chemicals, no fertilizers that didn't come out the back of an animal, and only use antibiotics as a means of preventing death. None of my meat has antibiotics.

The birds are pastured. That means that they live their lives eating grass and chasing bugs, basically doing bird like things. The chickens will live in a 8'X10'x2' bottomless shelter with fresh air, water and food. The shelter will be moved daily to ensure fresh pasture and move them away from yesterday's droppings.

The Turkeys (heritage breeds Bourbon Red) will have a fence around their shelter and it too will be moved every day.

I don't trim beaks because I don't need to. If the birds are happy they don't pick.

My layers are in a mobile coop with a portable fence, again they pasture.

Birds are omnivores so we try to mimic their natural diet and supplement them with a grower or layer ration. It comes from a feed store in Plain City and is ground with my blend of corn, soy, flax and oils. I don't use poultry byproducts in the ration.

Rabbits is a new thing for me, I haven't really started that program yet because I am trying to establish if there is a market. I will be doing the same type of thing with them, the shelter will not be bottomless because they will escape, it will have wooden slats the grasses poke up through.

Right now I have eggs coming at a rate of a dozen per day. All this snow means the birds are on 100% layer feed, but they aren't picking or anything because I give them table scraps (no poultry).

Eggs are $2.50/dozen

Chicken is right around $2.50/lb

Turkey will be around $4.50/lb

Rabbit will be $3.50/lb

I have all my animals slaughtered at King and Sons just north of Troy. They are an Ohio Ag. Inspection sight, they know how to bleed an animal, and they are extremely clean. Also, their vacuum poly bag will hold for about 5 years so nothing gets wasted in the freezer.

I think that answers most of the questions. I build the land, to support the birds. I have lined up more pasture in the event this takes off. I will never do CAFO and want people to understand that you can only produce so much per acre, then you have to move on. The land must heal, anything else causes an imbalance and something suffers.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90% yes on the eggs, need to talk to the SO. Maybe on the chicken and turkey. Also interested if they will be de-feathered, etc. Conditions and feeding, etc.

Interested in the setup you would be talking about also. Sometimes we would buy a dozen in a week, but sometimes every few weeks so I'd rather not be locked in.

Where are you located? Just assuming we'd have to drive there to pick them up. Especially if we are talking 1 chicken and a dozen eggs.

Interested in doing this for veggies also, do you grow anything? We've talked in the past about buying a 'share' of a local farm. I guess they grow whatever they can for that particular season and you buy in for the season and get whatever weekly, or however it works out of whatever is fresh at that time.

I am in Hilliard, but on the rural side in Brown TWP.

You can pick up here, I have nothing to hide (try that with Tyson)

We do heirloom veggies as well. We sell everything at the farmers market in Worthington, but I want to start a more year round thing.

I have spare land, if you want to rent it PM me.

Cool deal. I used to raise meat chickens and turkeys and did the same thing as you, made a portable coop to move around daily. It worked very well. We also have a large coop with and external pasture for the egg laying birds. Have not done it in a number of years but it was fun and a good deal of work. Good luck!

I have spare land, if you want to rent it PM me.

Seems like you were implying for me to grow on. We have a small garden out back and that's about as much as we'd want to do right now. If I wanted to do more, I would just go do it at my parents (5 acres out near Ostrander). I was talking about the idea of buying a share of your crop. But if you sell at the Worthington market, we'd probably just come to there as needed. We live over near Bethel and Godown, so that's pretty close to us. Do you also sell your eggs at that market?

When does it run? I remember driving through there when it was open, but can't seem to remember.

Seems like you were implying for me to grow on. We have a small garden out back and that's about as much as we'd want to do right now. If I wanted to do more, I would just go do it at my parents (5 acres out near Ostrander). I was talking about the idea of buying a share of your crop. But if you sell at the Worthington market, we'd probably just come to there as needed. We live over near Bethel and Godown, so that's pretty close to us. Do you also sell your eggs at that market?

When does it run? I remember driving through there when it was open, but can't seem to remember.

Yes I sell eggs there. $2.50/doz.

I have a mixed bag of layers, my eggs are brown, pink, green, off-white.

The Worthington Farm Market runs spring to fall (may - oct), saturdays 9 - 12.

Edited by Akula
adding dates

Akula,

Who are you going to have butcher your stock?

We can talk offline/pm about rabbits, my wife is pretty involved in the rabbits. We presently have 10 rabbits as our breeding stock and can provide some assistance to you if needed. I had rabbits back when I was in 4H, now is my kids turn. We just sold 12 Californians last month to a local butcher. We buy a quarter of beef from a nearby family and they have have a butcher in Danville. We take our rabbits to a butcher in Newark.

-Rick

I take my animals to King and Sons.

Those prices are for the whole bird, quartered if you like. Yes it has bones in. If you want boneless chicken breasts you will have to order in advance, come out to my house and pick them up as that is processed meat and your government has strict rules about that. It will add $1/lb. The reason for pre-order is that I am selling you a live chicken and killing/cutting it for you.

RS69 - I would love to get some Californian bucks.

Those prices are for the whole bird, quartered if you like. Yes it has bones in. If you want boneless chicken breasts you will have to order in advance, come out to my house and pick them up as that is processed meat and your government has strict rules about that. It will add $1/lb. The reason for pre-order is that I am selling you a live chicken and killing/cutting it for you.

How much chicken are you going to have a available and how often will they be available?

How much chicken are you going to have a available and how often will they be available?

If demand is high enough I will have 50 birds available every week. It takes 8 weeks to grow them out to butcher weight.

I am out of Chicken and eggs as the ladies slow down in the winter and all my friends needed eggs this week.

We are expecting some new Dutches next week. Let me check with the wife to see when our next Californian's are due.

Thanks, Rick

• 2 weeks later...