Someone to think of - lifting accident

Alex L.

Some of you have seen me posting in the chatbox about this. On Monday, Chris Harmon, a kid I went to school with, was in a lifting accident.

He was doing an incline set of 250 when the bar slipped and landed on his face. My trainer told me he and a few others rushed over to Chris' aid. They got the bar off of him, allowing him to roll onto the floor and start to bleed out. They said the blood would not stop coming out, he lost half of the blood in his body.

He was taken by ambulance (too foggy for a chopper) to Grant. He died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, but they were able to revive him.

Here's the MRI:

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs471.snc3/25819_320409061938_570841938_3663384_537115_n.jpg

He severed two major arteries in his face. They had to abort surgery earlier today because his lungs were starting to fill with fluid. He's supposed to be in surgery til late tonight. The doctors have given him a 50/50 shot at living.

Chris wasn't using a spotter.

Article:

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/article/20100223/UPDATES01/100223004/1002/NEWS01

Let this serve as a reminder to always use a spotter. I really don't want to get my suit out.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tbutera2112

the link says he is a competitive body builder, if thats the case perhaps the 250lb wasnt a heavy weight to him, hence not having a spotter?

either way, hes in my prayers...i read that he is on life support now

Guest tbutera2112
250's heavy.

depending on the person...i went to HS with a football player that benched 425+... if 250 was heavy for this guy, it wouldnt make sense for him to not have a spotter... do you know why he didnt have one by chance?

the link says he is a competitive body builder, if thats the case perhaps the 250lb wasnt a heavy weight to him, hence not having a spotter?

either way, hes in my prayers...i read that he is on life support now

It was supposedly a warm down after he set his record.

this is usually the case. most weightlifting accidents happen when you're goofing around not taking it seriously b/c you think you can handle the weights easily

so you dont mean incline set like he was doing incline bench right? if so, 250 is a fucking heavy weight for that...i was happy when i got 135 on incline bench 4 or 5 times the other night.

but i will keep that in mind...i never bench without someone spotting me, and luckily i work out with the same guy when im in, and if hes not in, i usually use dumbbells or something i can drop away if need be.

hopefully he turns out ok after everything

Its always the light weight that gets you to. It happened to me with 185 on the flat bench, I was repping it out on the final end of my pyramid, and bam, it rolled back and landed on my collar bones, FREAKED me out, though i broke my whole upper chest. Luckily I just had some nasty bruising.

Hopefully Chris makes it out alright, very unfortunate.

Just watched this on fox news, he was actually using a machine from what they showed. Freak accident honestly, when I read this in the paper first thing that came to mind was Staffon Johnson from USC

like doing bench press on a smith machine? that x ray looks like the bar dropped at an angle on his face

That sucks.

Honestly though, spotter or not, the same thing probably would have happened. Usually a spotter cannot react quickly enough to stop this thing from happening. Especially since this was obviously lighter weight for him, the spotter wouldn't have had his hands on/under the bar. Seems to me it just slipped out of his hands on accident. Scary though for sure.

Hope he pulls through.