Someone to think of - lifting accident

Alex L.

not sure im understanding...

i thought suicide grip was jsut having your thumb around the same side of the bar as your fingers, as opposed to the opposite side...like this

http://www.beginnersweighttraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/suicide-grip.jpg

and i thought the purpose was to move the weight closer to your palms to put more work into your forearms?

this.

It basically lets the weight drop lower, giving you a better workout. Many sport lifting magazines show this technique, and claim it is safe. I've used it, but am not familiar enough to comment on the reliability. I use my thumb around the other side as a safety, personally.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is he able to communicate? im sure no talking but does he have some way to get his point across to family/medical staff?

Not sure about that but I'm gonna guess if he just now was able to open his eyes that he isn't communicating to anyone. I do know they've been keeping him unconscious with medications until the surgery today, haven't heard about afterwords.

this.

It basically lets the weight drop lower, giving you a better workout. Many sport lifting magazines show this technique, and claim it is safe. I've used it, but am not familiar enough to comment on the reliability. I use my thumb around the other side as a safety, personally.

It is called the "false grip". It is usually used to take the stress off of the shoulders for people with shoulder injuries, putting to use more of the triceps and forearms to lift the weight -- so many use it out of necessity and not preference.

There have been a lot of accidents lately using this grip to the point Dave Tate, one of the first people to use this grip, made a video about how to properly do it following the accident of that football player at some college where the weight slipped out.

It is called the "false grip". It is usually used to take the stress off of the shoulders for people with shoulder injuries, putting to use more of the triceps and forearms to lift the weight -- so many use it out of necessity and not preference.

one of the guys i spot for at the gym when we are both there uses this grip because of a shoulder injury.

glad to hear that the surgery went well and he is showing good signs. just makes you think twice now about even doing a lighter weight for yourself without someone there, even though they might not be able to react quick enough.

Just to add to Alexs update, the surgery went well and he even opened his eyes for a little, the possibility of brain damage is gone although half of his face has no feeling in it.

That's great news. I would have thought, looking at the scan, that there was some serious danger of damage to his eyes. Hopefully nothing like that turns up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There was a guy in a town next to me that died from dropping weight on his neck (most likely benching) at the YMCA in Versailles last saturday.

http://www.whiotv.com/news/23183403/detail.html

I had seen him around before, but don't think i have ever talked to him.

its a shame.