road bike ride - saturday?

evan9381

going out for a ride saturday...anyone want to join?

planning on starting at my house next to easton, riding the alum creek trail up to polaris parkway, east on polaris to just past state street and it looks like it picks up another bike trail running back into the heart of westerville. south back to schrock, west to the alum creek trail (by the driving range) and back to my house.

i dont have a way to map it but im guessing it'll be maybe ~20 miles. im not a serious rider so i dont plan to ride super fast.

thinking of starting about 11:30 or noon as long as the weather is nice. forecasts now says anywhere from 55-61 and "clear" to "mostly sunny"

yeah...the alum creek trail is nice...ive seen the trail while driving along polaris and it looks pretty decent as well...there wont be any dirt riding, all *should* be paved...ive got skinny ass tires on my bike and even gravel for a short distance sucks to ride on

but i dont know if i can start that late...i figure 20 miles will take me about an hour and a half and ive got some other stuff to do saturday

and im officialy exhausted for the day. ended up with a couple detours we made being just a hair under 24 miles, did it in under 2 hours of riding. probably 2:20 with the stop at the bike shop, but my timer/odometer stops when the bike isnt moving

then to top it off i wanted to take my new kayak out to see how it was, and went across hoover and back, google maps looks like its about 3000ft each way, so about 1/2mi, and now my shoulders are sore as fuck. i need to start doing some more kayaking...good workout though

Guest GMoney
what speed do you average? some of the guys I ride with are a bit slow and Im not a bad enough dude to ride with the westerville spandex crews yet.

I slowed Evan down with my mountain bike with super knobby tires and low air pressure in them. I would guess we averaged 15mph, Evan can comment better. I am getting new mountain bike tires this week with a less aggressive tread pattern and will air them up to 85psi. I feel then I could then average 18mph.

we averaged 13.1 through the whole trip, but i could do 17-18 without any real issues. nothing against grant, but like he said, since he wasn't able to get the tires he wanted for his bike and had to use big knobby tires, he had to work probably 3x harder than me and the other guy we were with just to keep up. i bet he was beat more than i was.

there were a couplee spots though with a bit of a downhill slope i was able to get up to 30-33mph, which was fun, but like i said, it was downhill. i could probably hit 23 or so on a flat road. 17-18 would be a good pace if everyone was on a level playing field.

but we ended up going a little further than what i put in the original post. took from my house by easton up the alum creek trail to polaris pkwy, east to maxtown rd, south down the bike trail to walnut street, east to hoover dam (sunbury rd), south to dempsey, west to westerville rd, south to cooper and picked up the trail again. then took the trail past my place to the soccer fields at easton, then up into easton town center so grant could get his bike adjusted at the place he got it, back down easton way to the soccer fields and back to my house. gooood ride.