You might be a redneck if,,,,,,,,,,,

koolrayz

And if you would happen to have missed? Then what?

Maximum distance an average 130gr. .270 round can travel is just shy of 3.5miles. Terminal velocity being ~550fps, and terminal energy ~75ft/lb. For reference, most modern compound bows sling an arrow @ ~300fps, and are also around 75ft/lb of energy.........and they take down moose.

Anyway you try to rationalize it, doesn't make it smart.

More like ~3 miles.

My point being, that 'probably' is a big chance to take. Had your family member been the one to accidentally catch a stray bullet with their head from some guy trying to shoot down some tree limbs, would you accept, "Well, I was pretty sure it wouldn't go that far" as a legit excuse?

is it smart to shoot a gun in the air no but how many people do you know that shoot clays out of the air in their back yard in the country??? That does not seem to smart to me either. I am sure he knew what he was doing and thought it through...

is it smart to shoot a gun in the air no but how many people do you know that shoot clays out of the air in their back yard in the country??? That does not seem to smart to me either. I am sure he knew what he was doing and thought it through...

Shotgun=much different.

External ballistics

----------------

Your head

:D

Never.

I started to post the google map overhead to show the area and realized there would be no reason as you would continue to twist the truth into your own little fantasy.

I saw a thread were you were hunting in the desert. I feel assured you did a thorough check of the entire area for a 5 mile radius to insure there was nobody in the entire zip code? If there were others there with you endangered there lives by subjecting them to a potential ricochet.

The truth of this is you are an idiot,,,,,,, Carry on Mother Theresa

I started to post the google map overhead to show the area and realized there would be no reason as you would continue to twist the truth into your own little fantasy.

I saw a thread were you were hunting in the desert. I feel assured you did a thorough check of the entire area for a 5 mile radius to insure there was nobody in the entire zip code? If there were others there with you endangered there lives by subjecting them to a potential ricochet.

The truth of this is you are an idiot,,,,,,, Carry on Mother Theresa

:lol:

However you need to rationalize it.

Shooting rifles into the air is crazy. Shotguns are completely different (unless you're insane and are shooting sabots) as shot and slugs won't travel more than a few hundred yards at most. Always know your target and what is beyond. In this case for miles. Hunting in the desert is different as you aren't shooting into the air. Bullets do not reach their free falling terminal velocity either unless fired nearly straight up. They can come down with still a significant portion of their muzzle velocity a few miles out.

While the original post seems somewhat safe given the described geography, the above and what other posters have said needs to be said as there are probably some idiots out there that could see this and think it would be fun, a cool idea and could very well end up killing someone. You need to be sure of your target, and what is beyond, not just thinking that there "probably" isn't anyone down range.