Out of state car sale questions?

dover

So I believe I have an individual from NC flying up this week to purchase my V.

Now I told him I want cash or a bank certified cashiers check, now does that completely guarantee the check to be good so I can't get fucked?

He plans to fly up and drive it back. How do I get him 30 Day tags to take it?

Any other things I should look for or ask or do? Thanks!

Guest tbutera2112

i think you just have to go to the bmv and get the tags

and i dont trust cashiers checks anymore after all this western union scam BS..... im sure the dude can fit 20gs in a carry on bag and take it with him....thats on you though

You need to know the status of my title? I have a lien on it through my bank.

Then, I assume you're planning on meeting him/taking him to your bank? If so, your bank will verify the funds before sending the buyer/buyer's bank the title.

I assume he isn't trusting you to take the cash/check, pay off the loan, and them mail him the title?

EDIT - this is how the most recent one went for me... sold the Z06 to a guy from Chicago. He flew out, I took him to my bank. He handed his bank's check to my bank, I signed a POA, we all signed a Bill of Sale, and he drove away uber-happy. My buyer brought his own IL plate with him and slapped it on my car. I'm not real sure about 30 day tags for an out-of-state person; that's a new one for me.

One option - a sometimes bad one - would be to allow the buyer to drive back on your plate and mail it back to you. Maybe with some kind of $200 deposit.

Then, I assume you're planning on meeting him/taking him to your bank? If so, your bank will verify the funds before sending the buyer/buyer's bank the title.

I assume he isn't trusting you to take the cash/check, pay off the loan, and them mail him the title?

EDIT - this is how the most recent one went for me... sold the Z06 to a guy from Chicago. He flew out, I took him to my bank. He handed his bank's check to my bank, I signed a POA, we all signed a Bill of Sale, and he drove away uber-happy. My buyer brought his own IL plate with him and slapped it on my car. I'm not real sure about 30 day tags for an out-of-state person; that's a new one for me.

One option - a sometimes bad one - would be to allow the buyer to drive back on your plate and mail it back to you. Maybe with some kind of $200 deposit.

Thanks that is what I'll do with him then, as far as plates go I'll ask him to bring his own. So that he can at least take it to the BMV and get some temps or what not. Thank you though for the help!

This is it. Just did it 2 weeks ago.

So I believe I have an individual from NC flying up this week to purchase my V.

Now I told him I want cash or a bank certified cashiers check, now does that completely guarantee the check to be good so I can't get fucked?

He plans to fly up and drive it back. How do I get him 30 Day tags to take it?

Any other things I should look for or ask or do? Thanks!

You can take that check to your local bank and they can tell you what the situation is. Just make sure they are open and they can give your verification that the funds are good. Personally I don't take that much cash on a trip. If it is over $5K, I will let the seller know what my intentions are. I have never had an issue with that.

He will get 30 day tags in his state of residence, or he can drive on any tags that are in his name. (Ohio allows thirty days for this, but I am unsure of other states). Give him a bill of sale for the ride home and he will be golden. I have done this many times and it has always worked out favorably. As a matter of fact, I got pulled over in Grandview last night because I had plates that were registered to a different car. I showed him the bill of state and he told me to have a good night.

Best of luck to you! What are you getting next?