for all you highpoint haters

smokin5s

Incident:

(I believe this was mid-2001-sounds like quality has gotten better since then.)

I wa out on my buddies property shooting my Wilson and he decided he wanted a handgun. So, we go to Vance's and look. I urge him to at a minimum get a Taurus, but he is a stubborn old man. Long story story short, he ended up taking a High Point home to my dismay. I tell him how badly it disappoints me, etc, etc. Well, he didn't buy any ammo and I was shooting two Sig 9's, so I left him use that ammo- he had purchased the HP 9 obviously.

Sorry, I never finished the story... I was on my phone and it was acting up.

I ended up having to give my infamous "here's how to use a semi-auto" speech. He still didn't seem comfortable with it since he was used to revolvers. He asked me to shoot a round for him so he could see how it worked. I obliged and the gun blew up in my hand. I checked for a squib, double charge, etc. None such luck!!

Later sent it off for SAAMI testing when I was in the gun industry and found out that the barrel was less than 8,000 in it's strongest points and a little over 2,000 in its weakest. I am lucky I still have a hand to shoot with. Needless to say, I am *NOT* a fan of these guns and most likely never will be. To each their own, but I buy and own things that do NOT blow up in my hand.

Why are these even brought up in gun discussion? Its like saying a square of toiled paper is as good as a aloe vera kleenex.

Some of the old school bike guys will remember the old Bell ad's.... It applies here, if you have a hundred and fifty dollar life to defend, buy a hi point.

I don't care what you guys say, I went and put about another 100 rounds through it today, fired flawless.... and amazingly accurate... one of my buddies who was with me (who can't seem to hit ANYTHING) loved the gun and his comment was, "I can't believe how accurate this gun is, I point it and it just hits every time!" He hit the red probably 5 our of 10 shots from 50 feet out where he can't even hit the red 20 feet out with any other gun.

I will say that I don't like that I can't field strip it for cleaning so it makes me a bit weary on the longevity of the firearm without proper cleaning but as was pointed out to me by another highpoint owner, that he sends it to them every year to field strip and clean (for free) and he hasn't had any issues.