NEED: Home HVAC experts

zeitgeist57

A/C is blowing non-stop, but house has been around 80* most of today. Bad sign with the beginning of summer not even here yet.

I have a newer Lennox Elite system, but I have not serviced the A/C system since I moved in in '08. As a DIY guy, can I get the external fins off easily enough to blow out debris? How can I check freon levels? (that one might be overstepping it a bit :) )

Any DIY help would be appreciated...

Recommendations for good HVAC guys for a checkup also welcomed...

EDIT: Google owns me. I'll try this first...

http://www.hometips.com/repair-fix/central-air-conditioner.html

Lemme know what you find out just so I can keep it in the back of my mind....I had a Lennox Elite HE installed in my house in 2007. No issues yet but it'd be nice to know of potential issues/fixes if anything arises in the future.

I'm having this problem right now. It's basically running non stop. On for 10-12 minutes, off for 5, back on.

Last year I had this issue and Garrett came out and they put a pound of freon in the shizzle and it seemed ok. I'm kinda bummed now that I spend a grand on insulating the house and it doesn't seem to be doing shit now (it did great in the winter). So I sent a PM to him today and I'm waiting a reply.

I'm having this problem right now. It's basically running non stop. On for 10-12 minutes, off for 5, back on.

Last year I had this issue and Garrett came out and they put a pound of freon in the shizzle and it seemed ok. I'm kinda bummed now that I spend a grand on insulating the house and it doesn't seem to be doing shit now (it did great in the winter). So I sent a PM to him today and I'm waiting a reply.

What is Garrett's CR name? I need to talk to him.

Yep! Sounds like your outside unit may have gotten bumped outside one to many times and now has leaked the freon out of it. The good news is that since you have a newer Unit, The freon is not as expensive as the older stuff that now is hard to find and costs lots of $$$$$ Put some dye in it so the next time you will be able to catch the leak! GL

Yep! Sounds like your outside unit may have gotten bumped outside one to many times and now has leaked the freon out of it. The good news is that since you have a newer Unit, The freon is not as expensive as the older stuff that now is hard to find and costs lots of $$$$$ Put some dye in it so the next time you will be able to catch the leak! GL

I am better it wasn't a bump.

Our house had a Lennox Elite heat pump when we bought it last year (forclosed home). Move in, A/C was f'ed.

Come to find out, even though the house was built in 03, this was the 2nd unit, put in around 05-06. There was contamination in the line, which took out the first one. Instead of replacing the lines/condensor and everything else that touched the Freon, they swapped another unit in, which imagine that, was knocked out again.

So I got to spend $3200 for a 5-ton Carrier unit (their best series, whatever that is), switch over from Freon to Puron, and everything changed out that touches the Puron.

Luckily, got a $960 tax credit, and I believe this year's credit is even higher. I can find the name of the place that did it - they came over on a Sunday to see the problem, had everything bought/installed by early Monday afternoon. :)

OK...cleaned outside A/C unit. It was durrty as hell.

However, the house is not any colder. I noticed that both hard lines (in/out) are the same temperature...shouldn't the insulated one be hot and the other cold, or vice versa?

Ruh roh...:eek:

Going to file a warranty claim, brb. :(

UPDATE: After a muggy weekend, we had some guy come out yesterday to check the A/C system. He said it was low on Freon. Additionally, he checked for leaks and found none. Everything was tip-top shape.

It was a home warranty claim, so we were out $60 for everything. I came home last night to our home feeling the most comfortable it's felt in a long time.