Post pics of your home theater setup

Guest mitsumodder

Guest 614Streets

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs359.snc4/44182_1489353950855_1144146396_31380538_2607119_n.jpg

bass is next to the couch along with a kenwood mid range on the otherside of the couch on a in the wall shelf. Tv sits on a pioneer glassface stand , sony reciever , dvd , xbox 360 sit on a tv hutch next to the glassface stand.

Chairs in the front a black leather.

Old School Set up from when we first moved in. Before the finished basement.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4103/5041749701_03d92f40ba_b.jpg

Most Recent Pic. 2.40:1 set up. Theater area seats 9. We moved the 65" Panny and put up a screen for use with the projector I already had in place but wasn't using. Moved Plasma to Great Room since we use that area most often and it needed a bigger screen.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/5042373942_1efe350739_b.jpg

Older set up in Family Room off the kitchen. We moved the 42" up to our bedroom and put a 50" here. Mainly use this area for the kids or at night when I want to watch TV upstairs and not wake everyone up. Yeah....I'm a Panasonic Freak.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/5041749757_f185ebf022_b.jpg

not sure how big the screen is--maybe 100" or so. full klipsch surround, subwoofer, dvd, cable tv, denon receiver, 6 reclinable stadium style movie seats, etc. my kids are the only ones who use it to watch disney crap

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/9775/dsc00877vr.jpg

Damn Tim, very nice setup you have there. The lights really set it off as a theatre.

Thanks. It gets its fair share of use. Especially Fridays when we and the neighbors rotate kids around for Friday Night Movie Night. Once per month we have 9-12 kids over. Each weekend a different house is invaded. It's a cool break for the other three families/parents as we get our 1 night of the week to have date-night with not kids interrupting. ;)

Thanks. It gets its fair share of use. Especially Fridays when we and the neighbors rotate kids around for Friday Night Movie Night. Once per month we have 9-12 kids over. Each weekend a different house is invaded. It's a cool break for the other three families/parents as we get our 1 night of the week to have date-night with not kids interrupting. ;)

LOL! We have friday night xbox night. 8-12 kids playing xbox until 4am. 4 downstairs, 4 upstairs, and the other kids playing on the computers until its their their turn to play again. This week its Halo Reach... starting in 22 minutes. I see you feel my pain :lol:

Please tell me you're kidding?

Btw, very nice set ups in here.

Nope came how tuesday and my place was broken in to. Took my tv, computers even my kids DS's. But they left my TBSS. I have my kids during the weekend so today we just stay out running around until bed time so we didn't worry about it.

Agreed, there are some really nice setups in here. Giving me ideas as how set my family room back up.

I'd love to know the details on the projector setup? I'm pretty interested in this type of setup for whenever we get a house.

If you're interested in going 2.4:1 which is a true wide screen view, it's a little more costly but IMO it's worth it. I like it because it really fills the room and gives the viewer exactly what is shown when the movie is filmed. It's what makes the guy who comes home with his new 65" LCD from Best Buy go WTF! when he watches a movie in BluRay and gets black bars across the top and bottom :)

Projector Wise:

You have to get one with a Vertical Stretch Image Processing Function aka Anamorphic Mode 1. If you do a Computer PC to drive the image look for a processing board that offers this.

This stretches the source image vertically to fill the projector’s imaging system elements. It's needed to remove the black bars that you're likely seeing on your 16:9 Plasma or LCD at home now.

Now you may be thinking this will make everything look tall and skinny, and you're right. Thus why to fully fill the image in width, and bring the proportions back to, again, what was actually filmed in Hollywood, you will use anamorphic lens (added cost) is placed directly in front of the projector’s lens. This, will restore the original image proportions.

This lens is only used with "widescreen" movies filmed in aspects other than 16:9. I had a Panasonic but moved to a Marantz unit with the LN-11S1 anamorphic lens. It's a bit pricey, but not really when comparing it to a good quality unit. Have it mounted with theft proof one-way screws or with some type of locking system. Mine is mounted in such a way that if someone were to attempt to take it or drill it out, it will render the unit useless.

Screen Wise:

I chose to do the lessor expensive fixed-frame 2.40:1 screen, which leaves visible screen area at the sides when watching 16:9 (1.78) programs, and substantial side bars with 4:3 content. We never watch 4:3 downstairs though.

There are a ton of screen masking systems that will allow you to hide unused screen area but I don't use any. We don't leave the theater lights up front on during movies.

Another nice bonus besides true to life images is that when you use a full anamorphic widescreen set up all of the projector’s pixels are used for the image you are seeing. Thus it's a lot brighter and crisp compared to viewing an image in any type of letterbox. When you watch a movie at a digital theater, they use this type of set up. If you ever have a chance to see their set up you'll see they use an anamorphic lens in front of the projectors too. They say about 75% of movies released are in 2.4:1 aspect.

You'll notice my screen is curved just like most theaters......Google CineCurve when you're doing research. Makes for an amazing viewing experience.

http://popcornsodagoobers.com/files/2007/11/hometheater.jpg

Am I the only one who noticed the flat screen TV....and the projector hanging on the ceiling? Wtf. You projektin' imagez awn ur tvs??

For the record, I know it's not yours. Just bustin the pictures balls.

Tim, thanks for the info, I've always been intrigued. I'll be digging around on avsforum.com when I think about getting more serious about it.

Some company just announced 'the worlds first' 2.35:1 native projector. Things should get interesting in the next few years. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1275527

Am I the only one who noticed the flat screen TV....and the projector hanging on the ceiling? Wtf. You projektin' imagez awn ur tvs??

That's not a TV. That's his fixed mount screen raised away from the wall. Notice mine above? It's about 2-3" off the wall as it's curved. The one show in your referenced image is likely just flat but still raised off the wall.

I'll need addresses of some of you guys, and when you'll be out of town next :ninja:

You won't be able to get my screen out of the basement unless as it was assembled down there and won't make it around the two turns. The projector was mounted with a tricky locking system too. 99.9% chance if someone tries to take it off they will damage the unit. Done this way purposely by the team that installed mine :D