Question for the driod guys

Fubar231

I have a Droid X and I love it. It is rooted as well. The only thing is with the Droid X is you cannot use custom bootloaders for those of you who like to look for cooked roms for your phones.

But then again, I have yet to see a cooked ROM that has impressed me as much as a Rooted Droid X.

Also, the Droid X has a Car Mount specifically designed for it which allows it to act as a "Driving Cam" as well as 8MP camera, and also has an HDMI output, and features a FM radio.

Its fast, its fun, its slim, it holds a pretty good charge.

The only thing is with the Droid X is you cannot use custom bootloaders for those of you who like to look for cooked roms for your phones.

But then again, I have yet to see a cooked ROM that has impressed me as much as a Rooted Droid X.

Whats custom bootloaders and cooked roms? Im going from a crackberry to this.

If you don't use them don't worry about them. They are basically ways of unlocking and running custom OS builds on phones. Most common people don't mess with this stuff because you can "brick" your phone. Meaning cause it to never start if done improperly.

But IMO I would get a Droid X. It is simple to Root them which will allow free wifi tethering, and other benefits, and the app market if quickly growing and you can get an app to do just about anything for free.

When looking for Android Based phones though do not compare their apps, compare their features.

What is the processor speed? The higher the number the faster.

How much storage is built in? The higher the number the more stuff you can fit on it.

How good is the camera? The more MP the more detailed the images. Droid X has an 8MP built in camera.

Does it have camera's on both sides of the phone? New applications are out there to allow you to have a video chat with someone using your phone. If you are going or planning to use such a feature look for it in your next phone.

Will it have accessories that you would want to use? The Droid X has a dashmount kit specifically designed for it. It will automatically switch to the "Car Dock" application on the Droid which makes it nice for using it as a GPS Navigation.

Looking at the hardware features of each phone and comparing them is the best way to compare Android Based phones. The Droid X has the large screen, the Droid 2 has the slide out keyboard, stuff like that.

Also, Android OS is Linux based, any geek knows Linux is more stable than MAC or Windows. That Crackberry you have that probably froze all the time will be a thing of the past. I have yet to freeze my Droid X. My Windows Mobile phones before my Droid froze all the time.

With the iPhone 4 you get good performance, but I am not an Apple supporter, nor do I agree with the companies values and goals. I like my stuff open, free, and hackable.

I got the X like two hours ago. Figuring it out before i root it. Anyone want to help me with what i need to download and stuff?

Something i forgot to add, im pretty computer smart or so id like to think. Had a custom os and all that good stuff on my blackberry, just havnt really looked into it for the droid. I do plan on rooting it and whatnot, just need to read about it. Whats a good site/forum for the droids? I used to use crackberry, but thats blackberry only. So if someone could just point me in the right direction...

Edited by Fubar231

If you don't use them don't worry about them. They are basically ways of unlocking and running custom OS builds on phones. Most common people don't mess with this stuff because you can "brick" your phone. Meaning cause it to never start if done improperly.

But IMO I would get a Droid X. It is simple to Root them which will allow free wifi tethering, and other benefits, and the app market if quickly growing and you can get an app to do just about anything for free.

When looking for Android Based phones though do not compare their apps, compare their features.

What is the processor speed? The higher the number the faster.

How much storage is built in? The higher the number the more stuff you can fit on it.

How good is the camera? The more MP the more detailed the images. Droid X has an 8MP built in camera.

Does it have camera's on both sides of the phone? New applications are out there to allow you to have a video chat with someone using your phone. If you are going or planning to use such a feature look for it in your next phone.

Will it have accessories that you would want to use? The Droid X has a dashmount kit specifically designed for it. It will automatically switch to the "Car Dock" application on the Droid which makes it nice for using it as a GPS Navigation.

Looking at the hardware features of each phone and comparing them is the best way to compare Android Based phones. The Droid X has the large screen, the Droid 2 has the slide out keyboard, stuff like that.

Also, Android OS is Linux based, any geek knows Linux is more stable than MAC or Windows. That Crackberry you have that probably froze all the time will be a thing of the past. I have yet to freeze my Droid X. My Windows Mobile phones before my Droid froze all the time.

With the iPhone 4 you get good performance, but I am not an Apple supporter, nor do I agree with the companies values and goals. I like my stuff open, free, and hackable.

Then don't buy motorola.

Sure, here is the must get app list.

Barcode Scanner - scan barcodes compare prices get links to things, my favorite app.

DroidLight - turn ur droid into a highpowered flashlight

Facebook/Myspace/Twitter - set those up if you have them...youll be addicted.

Set up your email accounts

LiveTV - watch ESPN for free on the go.

NFL Mobile - watch some NFL Games free, they have a pay to upgrade option if you want more than it offers as free.

Scanner Radio - provides you a portable police scanner on your phone.

TiKL Touch to Talk - jealous of those nextel users, well you can do the same now without using your minutes

Trapster - find out where the last police sightings were, and caution areas, also provides locations for Traffic Cameras, and Speed Cameras that members report to Trapster.

SpeedView - turn your droid into a speedometer. Put it on your dash to get a "Corvette" like speedometer on your windshield.

aDyno - App that can be used at the track to record your lap times etc.

aCar - keep track of your fuel consumption.

Also, just FYI, I had rooted my Droid X 2.1 when I got it, but upgraded last week to the 2.2 patch. I lost my root, but another one touch root app just came out if you want it, but I don't think you will really need it unless you want to unlock the wifi tethering.

One touch root for Droid X 2.2 is here http://sil3ntki11.tumblr.com/page/2

I got the X like two hours ago. Figuring it out before i root it. Anyone want to help me with what i need to download and stuff?

Something i forgot to add, im pretty computer smart or so id like to think. Had a custom os and all that good stuff on my blackberry, just havnt really looked into it for the droid. I do plan on rooting it and whatnot, just need to read about it. Whats a good site/forum for the droids? I used to use crackberry, but thats blackberry only. So if someone could just point me in the right direction...

http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-x-roms-hacks/36202-how-one-click-root-your-droid-x-official-2-2-ota.html

i use a droid x. i have to say i liked it more before the 2.2 update. mine has been pretty buggy since the change. they have acknowledged many of the problems, looking forward to the update. other than that, i live off of it. i am on the road all the time, it keeps me connected. i suggest you get a bigger size battery no matter which model you decide, they kill the battery.

I have 2.2 and it was buggy the day after I installed it, ie wouldn't dial properly and had to reboot to correct it. The last couple days I've used it exactly the same without any trouble so I have no clue. The only thing that I might have done differently is I've played around with my app killer settings a little. Doubt that I fixed anything though, it would be plain luck if I did.