Garage Door Opener wireless issue

Nitrousbird

I fucking hate my rental property.

So my constantly complaining tenant has a new issue. She says the garage door opener is only intermittently working with both the keypad and the two universal remotes she has. Hard button works perfectly every time. But when one wireless device doesn't work, none of the three work.

I replaced the unit in 2006 or 2007 with a Craftsman unit - your standard 1/2HP package, came with some goodies. Never, EVER had this problem until now. Any ideas? Never had the issue with the old opener either (I lived in that house myself from 2002 until 2008).

Did she change the pin switches somewhere to perhaps prevent you from "accessing it". I have an 8 unit apartment Rental Property with garages and that's what I've found has happened.

The tenants for obvious reasons try to secure the garage and make it their own and in doing so fuck up the programing. I actually have a clause in my lease that if any of the remotes or unit is reprogrammed by the renter that they are responsible for said units working properly or any bill that may be incurred to make them work. I've included a copy of all manuals for the appliances and door openers in their welcome packet too. They assume the responsibility for proper use.

So far in 10 years, I've only had one tenant have to pay the door opener company to come fix it because they couldn't get them all to work properly. My units are in Oregon so as you can see, it's almost a must that I button things down like that.

Sometimes the circuit boards will randomly do this, try this, and if it still does it, the opener needs a circuit board.

On the back of the opener there is a square button, push it and hold it in until the led light goes out, that clears all the transmitters that are programmed in. Then press the button on the opener, and then press the button on the transmitter to reprogram them in, one at a time. Then press the button on the opener, run out and type in the keyless code and press enter, that reprograms the keyless.

Did she change the pin switches somewhere to perhaps prevent you from "accessing it".

The "dip switch" style is old-school. This is a rolling code opener, like any of the modern units.

Sometimes the circuit boards will randomly do this, try this, and if it still does it, the opener needs a circuit board.

On the back of the opener there is a square button, push it and hold it in until the led light goes out, that clears all the transmitters that are programmed in. Then press the button on the opener, and then press the button on the transmitter to reprogram them in, one at a time. Then press the button on the opener, run out and type in the keyless code and press enter, that reprograms the keyless.

Basically you are saying clear it and re-program, hope it doesn't do it again. But if it does, how does that prove it is the circuit board vs. some other kind of frequency interference?

how old are the batteries?

On the key pad, old. On her two new hand-held units, new.

Do the remotes work through the keypad? It's an odd way of arranging things, but my parents opener is set up this way.

Nope.

Craftsman has an add on receiver pack you can install. It wires in like a hard wired button. It receives the wireless signal, then acts as a wired button triggering the opener.

Hmmm, I wonder if that is possible on this unit. I had to do that with the old unit in my wife's condo, as it used the dip switches and couldn't program to a Homelink setup. But a newer style adding on one, I'd have to look and see.