Tire balancing

warmonger

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im might have a bit of experience already, 14 years of motocross racing, 6 as a mechanic, certified by three major name brands and grew up around drag bikes. but im not here to argue or play games with anyone who finds it so easy to get mouthy behind a computer screen...

and lead weights stay in one place. well what about your normal tire wear? generally the left side of the tire will wear faster with normal riders and the dreaded cupping effect happens quite often as well. all of that will also throw a tire out of balance. Not to mention harder riders wil have cupping, un even tire wear etc.. them are just some of my thoughts. im just amazed at how cranky some people get over nothing around here

and lead weights stay in one place. well what about your normal tire wear? generally the left side of the tire will wear faster with normal riders and the dreaded cupping effect happens quite often as well. all of that will also throw a tire out of balance. Not to mention harder riders wil have cupping, un even tire wear etc.. them are just some of my thoughts. im just amazed at how cranky some people get over nothing around here

I worked in the tire industry for 6 years, beads are shit. Retarded to use them, especially on a high performance bike. But have fun with that, it's your bike fuck it up any way you want

I have put beads in customer wheels, and just out of curiosity put them on the spin balancer and multiple time it called for different amounts of weight in different spots. Ranging from .25oz to 1.50oz. As far as the balance dot. Well not all tires have them, and why is it when you line the dot up it calls for X amount of weight 90 degrees or wherever it may be from the valve stem. So you turn the X spot to the valve stem and if the need for weight doesnt go away the amount drops.

Back-in-the-day:

Back yard mechanic. We would pull the tire and axle, clean the grease out, use a light weight oil, and set it up on a 2x4 stand to hold the axle, and spin it. If it went backwards, it needed weights. If it stopped same place each time, it needed weights. We used to wrap electrical solder around the spokes, and cut it off till it was the right weight. It worked good.

If you are someone who is willing to balace your wheels you CANT just rely on the dot. It doesnt alwayse work. If you dont normally balance your wheels then so be it. If its worked for you this long then dont change a good thing.

bought a balancer, just changed about 7 wheels/tires, getting ready to head to jennings next week. Plan on balancing my track tires for the first time!!!!!! not using the beads, my girl doesnt like them. hahahahah

Dude, if you are even a beginner racer, you have to balance tires. You cannot tell me with any honesty that if you are running a race pace that you have just been lucky in not having to balance the tires you've raced on. Even a newb will get their bike up to a high speed on the straight at most tracks and an unbalanced tire is never any good and totally noticeable right off...

A slight shimmy can make your day a hell of an experience. Slight shimmy is a bad thing - especially at the track. 150 plus with a shimmy makes shit come apart.

Hope you know what you are doing, too. Doing it wrong can be as bad as not doing it at all.

I can honestly say from first hand experience, you can't always feel a out of balance tire on a motorcycle.

I seen a guy going down the highway with his front tire bouncing off the ground.

I happen to exit at the same exit so I said something to him, he had no idea it was doing it.

I would never ride it without balancing the tires. just because you can't feel it doesn't mean the suspension isn't feeling it.

I have had a few bridgestones not need balancing weights though. some of the best tires I've ever had.

Edited by serpentracer

im might have a bit of experience already, 14 years of motocross racing, 6 as a mechanic, certified by three major name brands and grew up around drag bikes. but im not here to argue or play games with anyone who finds it so easy to get mouthy behind a computer screen...

14 years at what level? 6 years as how good of a tech? What kind of drag bikes? NHRA? AHDRA?

Thing is when I hear people brag about their experience, I tend to let them know that I respect their experience, but realize that you can have years of bad experience...

Beads are not a great or better choice than weights. You can assk guys with "experience" as tire guys and they wwill tell you.

They aren't "racers", either...

Beads are not a great or better choice than weights. You can assk guys with "experience" as tire guys and they wwill tell you.

They aren't "racers", either...

werd. I'm far from bein a "racer" but tires? I've seen a couple;)