what defense round?

87GT

Whatever you're comfortable with/shoot the best. Shot placement + proper defensive bullet > Caliber selection, forever and always. A person isn't going to feel the 0.095" difference when shot with a 9mm vs. .45.

+1. People get hit with .45's and dropped with 9mm's and vice versa. shot placement is key. I carry .40 and .45 but 9mm is nothing to scoff at either.

Whatever you're comfortable with/shoot the best. Shot placement + proper defensive bullet > Caliber selection, forever and always. A person isn't going to feel the 0.095" difference when shot with a 9mm vs. .45.

+1. People get hit with .45's and dropped with 9mm's and vice versa. shot placement is key. I carry .40 and .45 but 9mm is nothing to scoff at either.

I agree. I'm considering 9mm for my next carry piece.

88 Magnum. It shoots through schools.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/3/3d/88mag.jpg/400px-88mag.jpg

Seriously though, I agree with most of the posts above. Making sure you can put the rounds where they need to go is the most important part. After a lot of trial and error I settled on a 9mm even though I consider myself a .45 guy. It was the best compromise for me to get enough oomph in a small enough package.

• Upvote 1

88 Magnum. It shoots through schools.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/3/3d/88mag.jpg/400px-88mag.jpg

Seriously though, I agree with most of the posts above. Making sure you can put the rounds where they need to go is the most important part. After a lot of trial and error I settled on a 9mm even though I consider myself a .45 guy. It was the best compromise for me to get enough oomph in a small enough package.

Respect for the Johnny Dangerously reset.

10MM = 180 grain slug @ 1358 FPS

9MM = 115 Grain slug @ 1320 FPS

Just the math in my head says: "Still not a good idea!"

Alright next time I need to shoot through many car doors and bodies I will take a 10mm :D

kinda o/t, but did you happen to catch jeopardy about a week ago? woman was on a daily double and the clue was basically asking for the "metric version of this popular round that comes out to .35x" and she goes "what is a .38?". HA.

9mm HP - it's light, it's cheap, and I'd say there is a 99% chance you'll never fire your weapon at a person. And if you do have the luck to do it, I am sure you will be close enough that you will get the job done (as long as you aren't a nancy about it). All these Rambo's in here are talking about big rounds that will serve no purpose for what you are looking for.

This obviously goes to a point, no? I am assuming a .22 is not what you had in mind. What are some of the thoughs on the smaller rounds?

Specifically the 380 guns that have become popular recently. The PK380 is one that I really like, but have been unsure about this topic exactly. Lethality and "grunt" etc.

Thoughts?

Word on the block is the Winchester 175gr Silvertips are a good performer in 10mm. I've also heard great things on the Double Tap 155gr Gold Dot is a real money maker when it boils down to penetration. Here's something I picked up on Glock Talk, since I've been interested in Ted Nugent's favorite caliber - 10mm

DoubleTap 10mm

135gr JHP @ 1600fps - 11.0" / .70" frag nasty

155gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1475fps - 13.5" / .88"

165gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1400fps - 14.25" / 1.02"

165gr Golden Saber JHP @ 1425fps - 14.75" / .82"

180gr Golden Saber JHP @ 1330fps - 16.0" / .85"

180gr XTP @ 1350fps – 17.25” / .77”

180gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1300fps - 15.25" / .96"

200gr XTP @ 1250fps - 19.5" / .72"

230gr Equalizer @ 1040fps - 11.0" and 17.0" / .62" and .40"

Those are penetration and expansion #'s.

Here's the thread for reference:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336612

I've been debating the mighty 10mm myself, but I like the variation and availibility of .45ACP. The FBI and Ted Nugent aren't wrong in saying the 10mm is a mean round, I don't see it ever taking over .45ACP on the big bore market anytime soon.

Word on the block is the Winchester 175gr Silvertips are a good performer in 10mm. I've also heard great things on the Double Tap 155gr Gold Dot is a real money maker when it boils down to penetration. Here's something I picked up on Glock Talk, since I've been interested in Ted Nugent's favorite caliber - 10mm

DoubleTap 10mm

135gr JHP @ 1600fps - 11.0" / .70" frag nasty

155gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1475fps - 13.5" / .88"

165gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1400fps - 14.25" / 1.02"

165gr Golden Saber JHP @ 1425fps - 14.75" / .82"

180gr Golden Saber JHP @ 1330fps - 16.0" / .85"

180gr XTP @ 1350fps – 17.25” / .77”

180gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1300fps - 15.25" / .96"

200gr XTP @ 1250fps - 19.5" / .72"

230gr Equalizer @ 1040fps - 11.0" and 17.0" / .62" and .40"

Those are penetration and expansion #'s.

Here's the thread for reference:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336612

I've been debating the mighty 10mm myself, but I like the variation and availibility of .45ACP. The FBI and Ted Nugent aren't wrong in saying the 10mm is a mean round, I don't see it ever taking over .45ACP on the big bore market anytime soon.

My understanding is the FBI used to carry 10mm but it was too much for a lot of their agents to handle so they now carry the Glock 23...which is what I have carried for the last year...just what I heard though, I have no source to reference at this time.

9mm HP - it's light, it's cheap, and I'd say there is a 99% chance you'll never fire your weapon at a person. And if you do have the luck to do it, I am sure you will be close enough that you will get the job done (as long as you aren't a nancy about it). All these Rambo's in here are talking about big rounds that will serve no purpose for what you are looking for.

idk about you, but i carry a 4 bore pistol

My understanding is the FBI used to carry 10mm but it was too much for a lot of their agents to handle so they now carry the Glock 23...which is what I have carried for the last year...just what I heard though, I have no source to reference at this time.

I bet there's a few hanging on to their 10mm's, but it seems to be a caliber of the past. With .40S&W rounds reaching new velocities and packing more energy, a 10mm seems almost obsolete. Granted, the FBI helped in the creation of the 10mm. From what I've seen, FBI ranks are dominated by Sig Sauers and Glocks.