Phone Tethering- what are your thoughts on this?

armin922

So i have Verizon and im on the data plan package, a buddy of mine told me a little about this. Some said i have to pay the 15 or whatever it is a month, some said i can do without it. I dont have the new droid phone but have a BB 8330. I travel and on the road about 20 days a month and some places dont have a wifi so this would be a good thing to have. Is it worth it? Whats the connection like? What are some pros/cons? THANKS

If you travel that much you will get your $15 dollars worth.. but like stated there are other phones that have apps that allow you to do it for free. Its definitely fast enough to get the job done. Just keep in mind that if you travel that much you will fnd some slow spots. One of the best pros is that if you dont like it you can take it off :D

For my original motorola droid, I purchased an app called PDANet. It is software on the PC and an app on the phone. Uses the phone as a proxy to send the internet traffic out. No monthly fee from VZW and they don't know I'm not browsing from the phone. Worth the $20 bucks for the app. (The only app I've ever purchsed) Works good enough for surfing and VPN connection to work. No issues with speed - sometimes, drop connection... Happens, but not a big deal to me. Good luck.

For my original motorola droid, I purchased an app called PDANet. It is software on the PC and an app on the phone. Uses the phone as a proxy to send the internet traffic out. No monthly fee from VZW and they don't know I'm not browsing from the phone. Worth the $20 bucks for the app. (The only app I've ever purchsed) Works good enough for surfing and VPN connection to work. No issues with speed - sometimes, drop connection... Happens, but not a big deal to me. Good luck.

Umm... you could have got it for free :o

hmmm interesting. Ive heard stories from ppl that would phone tether on their verizon phones and then get stuck with a 200 dollar bill down the road. Thats the only thing im worried about

Yeah, its not unlimited if you are paying for it. 5gb the $15. If you do a lot of streaming/downloading of large files for work it will bite you in the ass. Use wifi when you can and that when you have to and you'll be fine. 5gb can vanish in a heart beat if you try to download a movie or stream music for a while.

Umm... you could have got it for free :o

Yup - could have, but happy to pay for the app since I really like it. Came in handy on vacation with the family and at home when working from home and my internet connection was having issues. :)