Anyone else disappointed in these Black Friday TV Deals?

Nitrousbird

All the news hype was that flat panel TV's were going to go for insane prices this Black Friday, due to severe overstock.

Truth = nothing special. I am in the market for a rock bottom price 46"+ flat panel for the bedroom, though I really want a 50-55". LCD or Plasma, doesn't matter as it won't be watched much and usually in a dark room.

The deals aren't any better than any other year, if anything, they aren't as good in comparison. The 46" Sony Bravia Best Buy and Walmart are touting for $699 is only $64 less than Walmart has it for right now. Save $100 on the 1080p Panasonic Plasma....yawn. 32" TV's aren't going for nearly as cheap as it was touted (considered picking that up for the kitchen).

About the only ad left that might have some good TV deals is HH Gregg, and I'm not holding my breath. :(

When I read these articles, in my mind I was thinking $500-600 for a 1080p 50" TV. Not going to happen it seems. If I want a 720p sure, but at that size you can see the difference, and why is anyone even making 42"+ 720p TV's anymore?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe, I'm with you. I've been scouring the internetz the past week or two looking for two things, with one of them being a 50"+ flat panel. Thus far I've been underwhelmed with the supposed Black Friday "deals." As it stands now, I'll likely just buy whatever I want whenever I want and save myself the hassle of tolerating the madness that is fighting the masses on Black Friday.

BTW, I read an article lately that essentially expressed your sentiments, which are that it isn't worth waiting for Black Friday to buy a HDTV:

http://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/finance/article-111298-7401-6-7-black-friday-deals-worth-buying-now?ywaad=ad0035&nc

I was reading one of my stupid business magazines I get from work and they were talking about how this black friday will make or break some companies and they are going to do a "black friday" sales BEFORE the actual black friday. I have yet to see any advertisments about either one and think this black friday will be the worst in years.

So im just gonna go to target and grab a 40" 1080p westinghouse lcd for $300 for my bed room

Hmm, got a link to the ad? I was wanting a 32" for the bedroom and considering spending like $200ish, so a 40" for not much more isn't horrible. Thanks

Agreed. I got that 50 inch plasma that Sears had(from Amazon who pricematched it) yesterday. Still looking for a <$500 deal on 42" with full 1080p, at least 3 HDMI, and 120Hz refresh rate. Not seeing anything that blows my skirt up.

CJ

What brand and specs is that one ? I hate TV shopping. Iam also in the market for a 46 ,50. No rush though what I have still works but it is old and wont be around much longer.

I was reading one of my stupid business magazines I get from work and they were talking about how this black friday will make or break some companies and they are going to do a "black friday" sales BEFORE the actual black friday. I have yet to see any advertisments about either one and think this black friday will be the worst in years.

Sears will be open on Thanksgiving for the first time EVAR. That sounds like desperation to me.

46" is the silliest size TV you can get. my roommate used to work at Progressive Audio and showed me all the price sheets for their TV lines (LG, Samsung, etc). The price jump from 42" to 46" is idiotic.

The reason there are no deals is because they figure the 46" TV buyer is looking more for quality of TV, features, etc so the TVs are loaded with more gadgets and are therefore harder to discount.

If you want a deal, you have to go below 42" or just be ready to pay a lot to get a deal on uber-expensive tv.

IIRC my father-in-law and bro-in-law (both techies) paid north of $3k a few years ago for Gateway flatscreens. :lol:

Likely correct. Our 65" Panny was just over $4k just 2-3 years ago. 42" were listing around $1,600 IIRC too. Like any new / cool technology, early adopters pay more. Thankfully we won't need a new TV set up for about 10 more years. :D

just 2-3 years ago. 42" were listing around $1,600 IIRC too.

I don't think so...I bought my 50" Samsung for $800 back on labor day weekend 2008.

Either way, I can remember my dad buying his 65" hulk of a TV like 10 years ago and it being like $5grand. Still works though, albeit way oversized.

I can forsee an arms-race of sorts, in which retailers offer their "Black Friday" deals sooner and sooner before the actual Black Friday. Those retailers that do scoop up all the business, leaving the actual Black Friday deals antiquated. Before we know, "Black Friday" will actually be some Tuesday in July.

I can forsee an arms-race of sorts, in which retailers offer their "Black Friday" deals sooner and sooner before the actual Black Friday. Those retailers that do scoop up all the business, leaving the actual Black Friday deals antiquated. Before we know, "Black Friday" will actually be some Tuesday in July.

or there will be a black friday but only half the manufacturers as last year and so on and so on

To my surprise, their are no 3d tv deals to be had either. I was a bit surprised by that one. The cheapest I found was on amazon for $1400 w/bplayer and 3d glasses starter kit. I will be watching Amazon for tv deals as them seem to have better overall prices then any store around here. Here are some deals to watch for though http://www.black-friday.net/popular/.

If your looking for a tv and can wait, just keep checking walmart eac week. We have picked up 2 different tvs over the past year and just checked walmart each time we were grocery shopping. They are so random when it comes to price drops. One day we picked up a 32" vizio for the living room for $250 and a few months later picked up a 52" for the bedroom for $499. They usually dont advertise and they never last long on the shelves.