Help me pick a "new" car...

KillJoy

If you had to purchase a "new" car with the following criteria, what would you pick, and why?

4 Door or very large back seat

Good+ on gas

Somewhat fun

Reliable - prefer w/ warranty

I would LIKE to keep it < $300 a month......

HELP!!

KillJoy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't break rule number 1. Never go about looking for a car or should I say go into a dealership using a monthly payment to base your decision on. How much do you want spend out the door ? Nissan Altima/Maxima might work for you. Buy used,new is over rated. One example . I just did a quick search and really did not take much time to research book value,car fax,etc. This is just my 2 cents worth. Some hate used and have to have new and thats fine, just not me.

http://www.automotive.com/2002/65/nissan/maxima/gle/ohio/sandusky/236296095/113/index.html?Query=|VehicleModel=Maxima|VehicleMake=Nissan|VehicleYear=2002|VehicleUsedDataLookup=1|VehicleUsedIncludeCarsDotCom=1|VehicleUsedIncludeSuperPremium=1|RadiusSearchPostalCode=43420|RadiusSearchRadius=100|RadiusSearchDistanceFromPostalCode=43420&NumListingsPerPage=15&PageNumber=1&sortAsc=True&index=1

Edited by BrianZ06

Don't break rule number 1. Never go about looking for a car or should I say go into a dealership using a monthly payment to base your decision on. How much do you want spend out the door ?

Yeah, what he said.

You can get these in a 6 speed manual and they are a lot of fun. My dad has an 03 SE and it's a zippy little car and handles pretty well.

Camry? Civic? Corolla? Aveo?

Guys, he said he wants something somewhat fun.

I'd recommend a G8, CTS, Charger SRT-8, WRX, Mazdaspeed 6, Maxima, new Taurus or Fusion, Lexus, something along those lines. Maybe a new LaCrosse? They look sweet, and 280hp & AWD sounds pretty fun

Fusion fails on the backseat test. Subaru Legacy has much more legroom in the back. But a leggy might come in under the preferred mpg.

To me, Auto + FWD != fun. But this isn't for me. I would think the new Taurus would have some good rear seat room. I don't know how its reliability is doing, or what price it starts at. Of the Big 3, Ford is the only one I'd consider buying from right now. (Never thought I'd say that)

For me, the Leggy was the only choice, and my current one averages 21-23mpg city. And that's the turbo model. The n/a should fare better.

Fusion fails on the backseat test. Subaru Legacy has much more legroom in the back. But a leggy might come in under the preferred mpg.

??? Fails ??? :confused: I say NOT. I own one and have two car seats in the back with plenty of room and have carried three adults thanks to the extra head and shoulder room. Rear head room and shoulder room trumps leg room unless you consistently have tall passengers. Not to mention Ford gives you nearly 2 cu.ft. more trunk space.

2010 Fusion:

* Rear hip Room: 53.3 in.

* Rear head room: 37.8 in.

* Rear leg room: 37.1 in.

* Rear shoulder room: 56.5 in.

* Front head room: 38.7 in.

* Front hip room: 54.0 in.

* Front leg room: 42.3 in.

* Front shoulder room: 57.4 in.

2011 Legacy

* Rear hip Room: N/A

* Rear head room: 37.5 in.

* Rear leg room: 37.8 in.

* Rear shoulder room: 56.1 in.

* Front head room: 40.3 in.

* Front leg room: 43.0 in.

* Front shoulder room: 56.3 in.

All I know is in both cars I sat in the front seat and adjusted it to my liking, then I got out and sat in the back seat. In the 2010 Fusion, I had to straddle the front seat with my knees like I do in my Imprezas. In the 2010 Legacy, I had at least an inch of clearance between my knees and the driver's seat. In my older style Leggy, my knees just brush the front seat.

That's the basis of my statement.

^^^Tim I'm pretty sure he was talking about the old body fusion's as you won't find a 2010+ Fusion for $300/month, and the old style did suck in backseat room...and all around.

I would know, I had a 2009...I sold it pretty quickly.

If you want to keep it under $300/month, I'd assume you're thinking about spending $15k overall if you plan on a 60month car loan. That's how I'd look at it, like stated above, a total value rather than a monthly commitment. Because $300/month for 36 months is a lot different than $300/month for 72 months.

For $15k I'd consider a Mazda6, like 08 and prior, v6/6spd auto, etc, and can do 3 adults in the back, and is peppy/fun to drive. That's probably the newest/nicest car you'd get for the money. If I wasn't worried about some miles I'd definitely look for a CTS-V, 2005ish Nissan Maxima, etc, but realistically how much backseat room do you want/need? A 4door won't ever be as nice/big as an suv/van.

Let's see....some outside of the box choices that meet your criteria would be:

1. Nissan Juke. Looks totally cool imo, and has peppy turbo motor with good gas mileage.

2. Mini Cooper Countryman. Starts at 22K, cool because it's a 4-door Mini.

3. Civic Si Sedan. Has more power than the others, but I don't like having to rev it to 15K rpms to go forward.

4. Fiat 500. Smaller than the others, and not so much back seat space but it makes up for that somewhat in cool factor and fun factor.

You are asking the money rate wrong. Only an idiot negotiates a monthly payment, as some others have said.

You should go in already pre-approved somewhere, and if their financing is better, sweet. If not, you can fall back on your own. You should ONLY negotiate on price.

With 0 down, 60 months (do not go longer than that), and 4% interest rate (this could vary and make a big difference, depends on your credit), you are looking at ~$16,000 loan for slightly under $300/month.

So assuming you have no money to put down and decent credit, your question should be what reliable, warrantied, semi-fun, decent fuel mileage vehicle can I get for 15k after negotiating (as taxes/fees/etc. will eat up the rest of your 16kish budget).

You could easily find a 2010 Ford Fusion within your budget...or less; they are a dime a dozen and enough listed in your price range that you could be picky about a few colors/options as well.

That said, screw a Ford Fusion. You could get into a 2007 Cadillac CTS for your budget, which will likely have a bit of warranty left in it as well. Far better choice IMO.