What to do

Major_golf

Given the knowledge in the area, stock and aftermarket support, I would not recommend a rotory motor for daily driving if you are going to be playing in it too.

With the right person, who has the know how, yes it can work. 95% of the people out there do not fit this catagory. I've worked with mine doing full build's 3 different ways over 6 years. I will do road trips and track days, but not daily drive it.

If you want a light track car, probably the FC. For any other reason; the Supra, though heavier, to me rides much nicer, gobbles the miles up and still pulls thru the curves with plenty of verve. Get rid of the GT shocks and springs and holy shit, night and day. It does have fully independent double wishbone suspension.

Do plan on at least a stock rebuild. Like any old turbo car, it's gonna need it to be reliable and prepared. This will also solve the head gasket issue the 7m has from the factory due the headbolts not being torqued enough.

There's a ton of aftermarket, a ton of well documented swaps for the 7m, 1j, 2j, and the a couple for the Toyota v8's and GM v8's. I've continually watched parts get cheaper and cheaper for this car, though the price of the cars themselves seem to be going up. I have plents of websites and forums if you'd like to check them out. Just let me know.

If you can wait till march, my car will be back together by then. Otherwise, I'd let you ride as soon as the snow melted. However, you're more than welcome to stop by and shoot the shit, look it over, etc. It'll be out of here in a week, though and at a buddy's shop while it gets a workover from us.

my plans for the car are to DD it but still be able to have fun with it. also im possibly looking for a galant vr4 as for up keep i found a web site with fairly priced parts for the supra

May want to look at something else other than a Mk3 or FC. E30 perhaps? Miata? Owners of those would have to chime in, never owned either, but Miatas are fun as hell.

As others here have noted, anything fast for the price range you're describing is going to likely be a giant headache and eat up your next 5 years tax returns too.

You could buy a FC or MKIII and keep it as a fun car, that way when it breaks you're not out of transportation when you need it.

If you're looking for a fun car that can be reliable, look at e30's as mentioned. You could probably get into an e36 for the price, but it may end up costing you an arm and a leg by the time you fix it up.