Sorry, Another Dumb Question...

Mister2

after getting off to a rough start jetting my carbs, i finally got on the right track thanks to help from u guys...well everything went well until i got to the part where i install the new main jets, the instruction manual said "revome stock jets and replace" didnt say where they were, i thought they were inside the float bowls, but since it didnt say, i thought maybe it was like an external deal, so i removed the only thing i found externally with the included tool, seemed right at the time, get them out and realize they are nothing like jets, looks like a threaded piece with a sharp end on it, i thought it has to do with idle, and thats why i am scared i messed it up.

my problem is that i dont know how tight they are susposed to go back in, all the way? half way? i didnt think they were all the way in, but i didnt pay attention when i removed them, heres some pics, but i did eventually find the main jets, inside the float bowl and got them swapped out, but if anyone could help identify what i messed with, it would be much appreciated. and i promise no more dumb questions....at least for a while.

the piece i am talking about is the brass thing in the middle of each carb, right under the coupler.

mr2004.jpg

mr2005.jpg

That is the fuel screw...There is a proper way to tune that circuit. Turn them in until the seat the back out roughly 2- 2.5 turns. It definitely won't be perfect, but close...

Even from the factory that circuit is usually not very well tuned. The brass plug is to prevent you from messing with that circuit and usually from the factory it's set lean for emissions reasons.

Your main is inside the float bowl.

Edited by dustinsn3485

That is the fuel screw...There is a proper way to tune that circuit. Turn them in until the seat the back out roughly 2- 2.5 turns. It definitely won't be perfect, but close...

Even from the factory that circuit is usually not very well tuned. The brass plug is to prevent you from messing with that circuit and usually from the factory it's set lean for emissions reasons.

Your main is inside the float bowl.

how do i know when its seated? and how can i tell if its right or not, when i get it back on the bike and running?

It will feel like when screwing in a bolt and the bolt stops. There's an o-ring so it won't be tight but just turn it until you feel resistance and don't over-tighten. My explaining sucks. It's hard to explain a feel though.

Tuning that circuit is a bit of a process. I use the idle drop method. You have to have the bike running and tune all 4 carbs at the same time.

Hopefully someone else will jump in and explain better. I'm best at showing and doing, but not very good at telling.

dont forget to re-sync them carbs too when your all done putting them back on the bike. on a carb'd bike, re syncing the carbs alone can make it feel 100% better. my opinion is that id do is, set the pilot screw to whatever your jet kit manufacture suggests along with evertyhing else then install the carbs on the bike, make sure it runs then re sync the carbs. after the carbs are sync then adjust the pilot screws again to fine tune the engine.

dont forget to re-sync them carbs too when your all done putting them back on the bike. on a carb'd bike, re syncing the carbs alone can make it feel 100% better. my opinion is that id do is, set the pilot screw to whatever your jet kit manufacture suggests along with evertyhing else then install the carbs on the bike, make sure it runs then re sync the carbs. after the carbs are sync then adjust the pilot screws again to fine tune the engine.

i have never done this before, and i see u are in bascom, i live in tiffin, a whole 3 miles down the road, wanna give a brother a hand? lol, i would buy beer or something