How low would you go

wnaplay1647545503

I just want to make sure its not so low it would make it a pain to drive. Now I need to figure out how low to go on the body. I dont know if I should go super low so I can step into it(fiberglass body, no roof), re-glass the existing door so the body stays stiff or keep the one door thats currently there although it needs redone, and try to stiffen the body to make up for the big opening now in the fiberglass causing it to be more flexible.

It has the wheels at the farest corners, that will help avoid damage. Set it up with a short sump (road race) oil pan and keep it all above the frame or as close as possable then use drop spindles to get as much as possable but keep wheel travel and channel the body over the rails and you should be able to rock "farkas low" with out a rough ride.

farkas daily drives his and its less than a golf ball from the ground.

I'm roughly 3/4 inch from the ground with my new wheels.. which includes my subframe, oil pan and tranny belhousing all being the lowest points. This is about a half inch lower than I was last year, by the end of the season. BTW, this new setup I'm running rides even better than my last year's setup ;)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/eightsixgts/IMGP0012.jpg

Getting around with 3 inches wouldn't be terrible, but you'd still have to be pretty cautious with watching the road for crowns. With speed bumps I have found that you can just about get around anywhere avoiding them because there's always a back way, or a way you can get around them. Steep entrances and inclines aren't a problem if you know how to fucking drive :D

I haven't had any issues with the MR2 yet and part of the exhaust is about an inch off the ground in the rear or so. I haven't had many issues at all and the coilovers have about 2" of drop left in them. Of course any of our posts are totally irrelevant to Farkas's car so what the F.

I have no problems at this height (which is around 3"). I plan to go a touch lower this summer. This car doesnt really have any overhangs to snag on inclines though.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/iwashmycar/0630103.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/iwashmycar/0630102.jpg

My Integra isn't even that low and it still annoyed me when I DDed it for a couple months. Nothing was unmanageable, but I had to avoid certain entrances, crawl over speed bumps, and keep a constant eye for potholes and major dips. If I had stiffer springs it might not be as much of an issue. I got around just fine, I just figure I'm too old for that shit now.

For me, form MUST follow function. How far do I drop a ride? As far as I can before it starts negatively impacting performance.

However, isn't this a rat rod type thing you're doing? If so, you have to find a way to slam it at least when it's parked. I love the 'on flat tires bottomed out in a field look' for rat rods.

Jason I looked at your build thread and from those pics that frame scares me. It to me doesn't look strong enough to handle a 350 and torque from being slammed and increased cornering ability. Stock height and a stock flathead maybe. If it were mine I would look into a new frame. (Car will only be as good as its foundation)

The frame is exactly what guys have been using for years. I can send you links to websites where builders(even guys who build them for a living) actually make the frame the same way. Its a boxed tube 3/16" thick tubing. Once the other crossmembers go in and all the welds are re-inforced it should be fine. Its not the ideal setup but I dont foresee any major issues.