God is a mad man today

SLOWLX

People blab about the first line a lot, but like to ignore the rest.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Well if all 10 commandments were completely valid laws of our society then having them on a poster in a court room could be viewed as an ironic humor kinda thing (not sure how to say it.) Since some of them are not laws or even considered completely wrong by us today I don't believe it has a place in a US Court. Wall papering the room in the constitution plus all amendments would be more appropriate to me.

So you don't think the are true?

The one about not believing in other gods and not worshiping idols?

The one about taking the lord's name in vain?

The one about keeping the sabbath holy?

Nope.

The one about adultery?

The one about honoring your mom and dad?

I guess they're applicable, but not in a US courtroom.

I'm not sure what bearing false witness against your neighbor and/or coveting his wife even really mean, but I'll lie to my neighbors to get out of stupid parties and there's several MILFs around here that I'd bone, so I'm guessing these don't much apply either.

All you've got left is "don't steal" and "don't murder," and if you really need those posted on the wall of a courtroom for some reason, you've got bigger problems.

Only 20% of the ten commandments cover things that are actually illegal, and 80% that's just religious garbage.

• Confused 1

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

FTFY.

• 3 weeks later...
The one about not believing in other gods and not worshiping idols?

The one about taking the lord's name in vain?

The one about keeping the sabbath holy?

Nope.

The one about adultery?

The one about honoring your mom and dad?

I guess they're applicable, but not in a US courtroom.

I'm not sure what bearing false witness against your neighbor and/or coveting his wife even really mean, but I'll lie to my neighbors to get out of stupid parties and there's several MILFs around here that I'd bone, so I'm guessing these don't much apply either.

All you've got left is "don't steal" and "don't murder," and if you really need those posted on the wall of a courtroom for some reason, you've got bigger problems.

Only 20% of the ten commandments cover things that are actually illegal, and 80% that's just religious garbage.

This is on point.

While we're getting that garbage out of the courts, let's fix the Pledge of Allegiance, and put that back to its original, unmolested form.

1802 Thomas Jefferson writes: "[A] hedge or wall of separation between the garden of the church and the wilderness of the world"— Jefferson wrote, "I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State"

1879 Supreme court rules that Jefferson's comments "may be accepted almost as an authoritative declaration of the scope and effect of the [First] Amendment."

This is not a Christian nation, this is a nation of freedom and someone who decides peoples fate in the justice system should not be allowed to impose his religious beliefs on others.

1802 Thomas Jefferson writes: "[A] hedge or wall of separation between the garden of the church and the wilderness of the world"— Jefferson wrote, "I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State"

1879 Supreme court rules that Jefferson's comments "may be accepted almost as an authoritative declaration of the scope and effect of the [First] Amendment."

This is not a Christian nation, this is a nation of freedom and someone who decides peoples fate in the justice system should not be allowed to impose his religious beliefs on others.

Our constitution was written by white men with Christian views and ideals and these very ideals had to have some way shape or form been used to bring about the basis of our constitution. The idea of seperation of church and state is a battle that will never be won due to this and the fact that the Republician party tends to be more religious than the lefty Dems and many of the Republicians decision making comes with infulence of religion. Abortion is a good example of this...

Argueing about religion on this board is like argueing which car is the best. Absolutely no point as everyone is right.....or so they think so because everyones opinion is different.
So true and really no matter where you stand on this either way your evidence comes from a basis of theories and that is it. No matter how educated you think you are no one knows this answer and never will because I truely do not think we are suppost to untill that day comes when we die and the answer is then given to us.

It humors me how self proclaimed atheists are usually the most argumentative about Christianity. Why is that?

Because it still requires faith to even be atheist and it tends to require more faith to go against cuture norms and against the grain. Plus alot of atheists consider themselves extreamly educated usually more educated than the majority even though they usually are not they are just more close minded. It is not always the case but that is how it tends to be.

Our constitution was written by white men with Christian views and ideals ......

I whole heartedly disagree with you. Heres are quotes from people involved with writing the constitution...

"Lighthouses are more useful than churches" Benjamin Franklin

"This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no religion in

it" John Adams

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man" Thomas

Jefferson

I whole heartedly disagree with you. Heres are quotes from people involved with writing the constitution...

"Lighthouses are more useful than churches" Benjamin Franklin

"This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no religion in

it" John Adams

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man" Thomas

Jefferson

And you are entitled to your feelings however you could only provide three examples and they are small quotes that could have easily been taken out of context. Also those are only three of the 70 total delgates that put their names on this pice of paper.

John Adams in a speech to the military in 1798 warned his fellow countrymen stating,

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

Benjamin Rush, Signer of the Declaration of Independence said.

"[T]he only foundation for a useful education in a republic is to be aid in religion. Without this there can be no virtue, and without virtue there can be no liberty, and liberty is the object and life of all republican governments. Without religion, I believe that learning does real mischief to the morals and principles of mankind."

Noah Webster, author of the first American Speller and the first Dictionary said,

"[T]he Christian religion, in its purity, is the basis, or rather the source of all genuine freedom in government. . . . and I am persuaded that no civil government of a republican form can exist and be durable in which the principles of that religion have not a controlling influence."

George Washington, General of the Revolutionary Army, president of the Constitutional Convention, First President of the United States of America, Father of our nation,

"Religion and morality are the essential pillars of civil society."

Benjamin Franklin, Signer of the Declaration of Independence

"[O]nly a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."

I can provide you with plunty more if need be but I feel my point has been made.

What our founders did not want was national established religion because that was one of the reasons why we went to war with Britian in the first place. We as a people were being told what to believe instead of having to freedom to have faith in whatever we wanted without the fear of being inprisioned or physicially harmed.