Water softeners.. what do you recommend?

V8 Beast

Call Hague Quality Water. They're columbus based and very good people.

Hague Quality Water, International

4343 S. Hamilton Rd.

Groveport, OH 43125

Phone: (614) 836-2115

Fax: (614) 836-9876

http://www.haguewater.com/

They are one of my dads customers, but they honestly do have some of the best water softners on the market.

/thread

I'm not to sure about what to say, but I will be setting up at our Home Show tomorrow where I can ask some guys what filter setup works the best and also talk about prices. If not I can look into them these weekend. Someone always has something setup for water. The Spring Home and Garden show is the next weekend where you might be able to get a better deal.

I put in a system I bought at West Jeff Heating and Plumbing. I've always had salt systems and this one is the same, but it's a dual tank system and I love it. It uses so little salt I forget to refill it. I'm hesitant about the systems that don't use salt, but then again I am not an expert at how they work. If I were to do it again I would do the same.

Thanks everyone

I put in a system I bought at West Jeff Heating and Plumbing. I've always had salt systems and this one is the same, but it's a dual tank system and I love it. It uses so little salt I forget to refill it. I'm hesitant about the systems that don't use salt, but then again I am not an expert at how they work. If I were to do it again I would do the same.

Thats actually the main reason I want a saltless system. I would forget to fill it. Nothing to plug in and no salt = less possible things that could go wrong.

I have well water and a water softener in my house and love it. I only have to refill it once every 3 to 4 months. But, that's mainly because it's only me in this house. With a house that has 3 to 4 people, you'll probably have to refill it once every month, maybe 2. I have noticed though that I still have particles in the bottom of my glass after I fill it with water and let it sit for a bit. I have been thinking about adding a cartridge filter to the system to help sift that extra grit out.

Thanks everyone

Thats actually the main reason I want a saltless system. I would forget to fill it. Nothing to plug in and no salt = less possible things that could go wrong.

For me I know the salt systems work. Filling them is no big deal, I just need to get in the habit of checking it on a monthly basis. Otherwise I can tell when I take a shower it needs salt. I don't trust the systems that don't use salt and run on water pressure.

I have a kinetico and it works pretty good. You should have a big-ass filter installed in-line, and a hard-water bleeder valve (I forget the specific name for it) is nice as well so you can adjust the hardness instantly any time. The kinetico (or at least mine) doesn't have a scheduled cycle, it just recharges as needed. With two people it uses about 2-3 40# bags of salt a week which is about the same as our last softener.

With the systems you set to recharge at a specific time/day you can put them anywhere, but with the auto systems you want them somewhere out of the way so they don't bother you recharging whenever they feel like it.

Wow, 2 or 3 40# bags per week? I don't use that in a month with 2 of us in the house. I haven't kept track but I might be using one 40# bag a month. Mine is a two tank system though. After a preset number of gallons of soft water have been used it switches to the second tank and the cycles the first tank. Then repeats the process. I couldn't be more happy with mine.

Brian, if you haven't already check in with West Jeff Plumbing and Heating. They deal in all that stuff. You can buy it and install it yourself (like I did), or they can install for you.

http://westjeffplumbingandheating.com/heating-cooling.shtml

I have a Hague system and does a nice job, my dad had a Hague system for 30 yrs with no problems. If you want a saltless system you'll have to go with Kinetico they are pricey though.

Don't buy a one fits all system from the big box stores they are worthless and a waste of money.