If you are thinking about getting the Thunderbolt...

V8 Beast

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My iPhone doesn't need a load of work to run right. It just does. That's why I have it.

Except for that antenna thing...

Oh and the proprietary software...

There's the distinct lack of 4G on the iPhone too, but who cares about that in a thread about a 4G phone?

Three cheers for mediocrity!

By the way, my phone works fine. I actually find it a good thing that I have OPTIONS to play with to adjust how my phone behaves rather than having the manufacturer say: "Here's your phone, thanks for your money, you'll use it the way we say or not at all."

So why are you shitting in this thread?

I got my thunderbolt yesterday and havent had a 4g problem since, but then again, I haven't traveled out of a pretty small area since I got it. I did overhear someone in the store talking about issues.

PS: the free radioopt traffic monitor widget is pretty awesome.

Any of you guys still having 4g issues? Mine has been coming and going since the outage. Where as before I had 4g all the time no matter where I went in Columbus.

I have the Novatel 4510L Mifi 4G mobile hotspot. I just got it the Thursday before the outage. At first it was awesome, 4G everywhere I went with no problems. Then the outage came and that was a long 24 hours. Since then, it really stuggles to maintain a 4G connection. It also comes and goes. It cannot hand off moving from 3G to 4G well either. So I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Here's my Mifi's routine since the outage. It's very consistant.

• Power on
  • Attempt to connect to 4G and fail
  • Connect to 3G and stay that way for 10 minutes
  • Connect to 4G, but interrupt the Internet connection of all current devices
  • Stay on 4G for a few hours until powered off or moved to a different location
  • Start from the top

I saw on the Verizon forums that people are having the same problem. Hopefully Verizon can fix it. I'm still within the 14 day return policy. I'm starting to question my decision. But when it works, it's so awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I'm rooting my TB now. It's a complex process, made worse because I was having the issue where I couldn't start SDK Manager.exe. For future reference, if anyone else has the issue, I tried all the other fixes I could find and nothing work. So I removed every version of Java I had, deleted any left over folders, then manually downloaded the latest JDK and the latest android SDK. After installing them to their default directories, everything worked.

As I type this, my phone is rooted.

I used this walkthrough:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=996616

Now to get BAMF Remix 1.6.2 loaded...

• 1 month later...

Bump from the dead! Just got one of these this weekend and I'm loving it. Today was my first full day of use. Took it off the charger at about 11:30 am, finally hit yellow on the battery at 11ish pm. I downloaded the LTE switch and kept it in 3G most of the day, watched a couple videos in 4G to show it off, and did quite a bit of web surfing and texting while in 3G. Also I listened to the radio from probably 2:30 to 7, with breaks here and there.

I was very pleasantly surprised with the battery life. My only disappointment is the lack of Netflix at this point. I'm afraid to root because I've heard about a lot of Thunderbolt's getting bricked because of it at this point, and I've never done it before so I don't trust myself not to screw it up.

Ugh I know, I know. How hard is it really? I also don't really know what I would do with root other than Netflix haha.

They make a 1 click version of the root now.

It took me about 35 minutes to do my Thunderbolt. Really downloading all the RUU's ADB, and ROM's is the biggest time consumer.

I was running Gingerbread on my T-Bolt, but had some stability issues, so I am on BAMF Remix 1.7. I may try to go back to Gingerbread this week, when BAMF Releases their newest Gingerbread ROM.

CM7 is running Froyo Radio's on GB. It has plenty of issues because of that goofy ass combo.

If CM7 releases a ROM around the MR2 Radio - then it might be worth my time.

Besides inability to switch between 4g and 3g on command, absolutley not. Combo is the best in battery life on rc.04

They make a 1 click version of the root now.

It took me about 35 minutes to do my Thunderbolt. Really downloading all the RUU's ADB, and ROM's is the biggest time consumer.

I was running Gingerbread on my T-Bolt, but had some stability issues, so I am on BAMF Remix 1.7. I may try to go back to Gingerbread this week, when BAMF Releases their newest Gingerbread ROM.

Do elaborate on the 1 click root. If there's a safer gingerbread ROM coming out I might be more tempted.

Do elaborate on the 1 click root. If there's a safer gingerbread ROM coming out I might be more tempted.

How do I elaborate on it? You download the RUU's, you install ADB, etc....

You click on this script which pushes all of the commands and packages to the phone that you need to root it. Instead of you doing it manually....here read the link for yourself:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=996616 <long way

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1009969 < One Click

Besides inability to switch between 4g and 3g on command, absolutley not. Combo is the best in battery life on rc.04

Certainly wasn't for me. Losing the ability to switch between 3g and LTE on command is something I can't live with. I turn off LTE until I need to download something. Then I turn it on real quick - and turn it back off.

Alright, I'm fixing to root tonight. What ROM should I go with? I'd like gingerbread so that I can have Netflix, but is it safe at this point? Or are there still a lot of bricks being shat?

I had mine on GB for about 2-3 weeks, and never had a brick. The key is how you wipe it

3 x Data

3 x Davlik

3 x Cache

3 x Battery Stats (on a full charge w/ cable unplugged)

How i did it, flash the GB Radio while you are still on Froyo (you will lose service, don't shit a brick when it doesn't lock into the carrier). Make sure that Froyo runs stable with the new radio, even though you won't have reception.

Flash the GB Rom (I used BAMF Remix), making sure you do do the above wipe procedure. When mine booted back up, I didn't touch it for 10-15 mins (to let the Davlik Cache, restore itself). Mine worked fine. I had a couple random reboots, and power-offs which was my ultimate reason for going back to Froyo. If you don't mind losing the ability to flip from 3G to LTE on the fly, then you might want to try CM7.

ROM's are all up to you....I would suggest going to XDA, and reading each ROM. What each one has. I like BAMF, as they have their own 'toolkit' that comes with their rom's, which gives you the ability to adjust many features on the fly, and I didn't see that with any other ROM out there. As far as GB ROM's, with GB Radio:

BAMF

Gingeritis

GingerTheory

Those are all pretty good ROM's, from what I have read.