New best on Shittos

DKilbourne

A few of us hit Kilkare today and the weather was great. We went last week and we had a 20-35mph head wind the whole time along with zero track prep. I was a little tentative about bringing the car out too hard after last weeks issues and slipped it out around 2300 and it bogged and quickly came back up. Hit all of the gears and it was running well. On the return road my phone is ringing and I assumed that meant that it was a good run. Here is the breakdown of this pass

60' - 1.788

1/8 et - 7.37

1/8 trap - 96.65

1/4 et - 11.30

1/4 trap - 130.22

I wasn't too sure that it had just gone 130, so I put the ice back on and let it sit. I loaded the intercooler box back up and went to make another run. I tried to slip it out a little higher and it spun, so I let off and got back on it in 1st and it hooked. Here is this run

60' - 1.920

1/8 et - 7.52

1/8 trap - 98.10

1/4 et - 11.48

1/4 trap - 127.31

I guess the trap speed may have been accurate. The car is a ported eaton car with 2.93/4 lb combo with a solid axle and 3.73s. Car was going through around 6200-6300 on the 275/40/17 555r's, so the trap sounds about right. I was hoping to get it hook up a little better coming out, but I think the extra boost and torque over last year isn't going to let that happen. Last year's best pass was an 11.25@124.50. I added the JLT High Boost CAI, a BAP, and the 4lb lower and had it retuned. On the 6th dyno pull it made the same peak hp as last year, but it was up 10-15 up until 5500. I think it may have put down a better hp # if it had cooled down some. The torque was 522. Car pulls very well when it is cooled down and the intercooler box is stuffed with ice.

One more thing, other than the solid it has zero weight reduction. I weigh 225-230 and the spare tire was still in along with my craftsman tool kit. I think I need all the weight in the back that I can get with the Nitto's. Can't wait to run some better tires and get that 10 second pass

I guess I should have mentioned Mr. Turner is this thread. Without his excellent tuning abilities I wouldn't have been able to run these times. Thanks Brian!

Edited by DKilbourne

Thanks guys. I also need to say thanks to Brian Turner at Dynotune. He has taken care of my tuning needs on this car and has done a great job. The parts on the car are meanlingless without the tune, so I have to acknowledge him as well. Unfortunately, now I definitely need a cage to run it. It will get one sometime in the next year, just don't know when.

Its going to the chassis shop to mount my Extreme Torque arm. My old torque arm wasn't cutting it anymore. Maybe next Saturday I'll be ready. Which car was Paul running?

Red Mach. It went 12.2x @115.69 or something like that. I won't be there this Saturday, but he will be excited to see you. He is convinced that you moved since he hasn't seen you around much.

Congrats on the times man that mph is amazing!!! I went 7.30 in the 8th at 96mph but my IC pump took a shit.....what were your final dyno numbers? And is this the same port you had last year?

Thanks. Final #'s were 49x rwhp and 522rwtq. It had been pulled a few times before that final one, I think maybe 5-6 times in the hour and half that I was there. The last few pulls within minutes of each other. Torque is probably about right maybe a few more if it was cooled down, but I have a feeling that the hp # is down 10-20. This is just based on how the graph from before and this one compared. Same port from last year. I did put a ported stock tb/plenum on as well. Forgot about that. I need some better tires to see what it has. It either hooked then bogged or spun trying to bring it out around 3K or so. I think the best 1/8th mile trap was 101.9x that day. That was the one pass that I actually came out somewhat clean. It was spinning enough hitting 2nd that it wasn't helping, but not as bad as it could have been. Definitely having fun with it, but with the Nitto's I need track prep to get it to attempt to hook.

Good runs, they mention anything about tech? The weather was pretty good, ran my best pass 11.59 @118. Its got a little left once I put a roll bar in it.

They didn't say anything other than asking about a helmet when I took it off on the return road. They usually don't get too worried about the bar until later in the season. Early season on Saturday's is usually a little bit more relaxed.

How much spray is on your car?

They didn't say anything other than asking about a helmet when I took it off on the return road. They usually don't get too worried about the bar until later in the season. Early season on Saturday's is usually a little bit more relaxed.

How much spray is on your car?

I havent decided how much to try and spray this year yet, I got jets anywhere from 100-200.

• 1 month later...

Update. Went out last night on 27x11.50x15 Hoosiers. First pass I either had water in the wheel wells or the tires weren't ready, because it went hard to the center line and I had to let out. Each time down I raised the launch RPM, but it was still bogging. Last pass of the night, which was the 4th pass in 45 minutes and the the 3rd pass was 7 minutes before this one, was the best ET. Brought it out at 5200-5500 and it went

60' -1.647

1/8 - 7.19

1/8 mph - 102.08

1/4 -11.19

1/4 mph - 125.10

Car picks up 26-28 on the big end when it's fully cooled and intercooler box iced, so it was definitely not optimum cooling. Here's a quick vid that unfortunately missed the first part of the run. http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/98grdpoundr/?action=view&current=IMG_00281.mp4