S&P gave the US a negative outlook today

Casper

pretty bad when our debt gets a negative rating. i would have to concur. i think each american's share of the debt is about $45k per person at the moment though.

That was as of last June. We're up over $50k per capita now.

If we would just balance the budget, and keep it that way, we'd be fine. The debt would devalue in a slightly inflated economy and eventually go away.

Ohh to be young and think I knew what I was talking about.. I offer no point of view just that your CNN fed mind is very sharp

Ohh to be young and think I knew what I was talking about.. I offer no point of view just that your CNN fed mind is very sharp

He's not entirely wrong, except for the fact he's forgetting interest, the fact that most of our debt is in the form of short term loans, etc.

$413,954,825,362.17 was paid in interest alone in 2010. The debt isn't going to go away.

That has nothing to do with youth or political affiliation... If there were no year to year budget deficit, the current debt would devalue over time due to slight inflation. That's not my theory or CNN's (a channel I never watch), it's true.

He's not entirely wrong, except for the fact he's forgetting interest, the fact that most of our debt is in the form of short term loans, etc.

$413,954,825,362.17 was paid in interest alone in 2010. The debt isn't going to go away.

Again, over time the majority of the debt would go away regardless of interest. It's a lot more complicated than either of us are saying, but that's how national/international debt works. Unfortunately for me, I have had to do a lot of research on this stuff lately. It's boring as fuck, but it helps put things in perspective.

Away from the history of economics, upon which this type of stuff is based, I have my own opinions on what we should do. I align more closely with Paul Ryan than my previous post would suggest.