BMW 850ci

blue98ls1

We are looking at one, and wanted to know what to look for as far as things that commonly go wrong. (Yes I know its ANOTHER German car, and yes I know parts are expensive.) Looking more for what common failures are, and wanted to see if anyone here knew them well enough to take a look at one prior to me buying it.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a 750iL with the same M70 V12. At around 150k things started going wrong all around the engine. Gaskets and electrical stuff was always needing attention. That said, if you can do the work then it shouldn't be too bad, it just got really expensive to shell out money to Blagois or MAG every week.

Those cars are gorgeous though, and given the opportunity I would pick one up. A very timeless design.

As mentioned lots of electrical issues. Tough to get your hands on information to service/diagnose it. Valve covers like to leak which requires removing the ridiculous intake manifold.

The Automatic transmissions can get pretty sketchy on higher mileage ones. Hopefully you managed to find one with a manual.

Oh and as a fun fact if the starter fails you have to drop the downpipes and most of the exhaust to get it out lol.

Otherwise they are neat we serviced one for years here up until the transmission gave out around 150K and they got rid of it. It was a CI as well, didn't they have a CSL or something as well?

As mentioned lots of electrical issues. Tough to get your hands on information to service/diagnose it. Valve covers like to leak which requires removing the ridiculous intake manifold.

The Automatic transmissions can get pretty sketchy on higher mileage ones. Hopefully you managed to find one with a manual.

Oh and as a fun fact if the starter fails you have to drop the downpipes and most of the exhaust to get it out lol.

Otherwise they are neat we serviced one for years here up until the transmission gave out around 150K and they got rid of it. It was a CI as well, didn't they have a CSL or something as well?

Gonna send you a PM.

It is an automatic. Kinda high miles, but excellent price. We took it for a test drive. I have always wanted one of these and I am slowly converting Anthony into a German car lover. ;)

BHUWHAHAHAHAAH

Good luck with that!

Its working, we take the 928 out all the time at his request. :D Besides, he has always liked the 850ci cars and there are a couple hotwheels versions hanging up in the mess of f-body cars on the walls.

Bite me.

The car has 111k miles on it and fucking hauls. I had it to 100mph before I knew what hit me.

Granted, we know it needs *some* work, but parts and DIY labor aren't all that bad.

And no, I'm not becoming anything. I've always had a hard-on for the 8 Series cars and finding a V12 just made it better.

Bite me.

The car has 111k miles on it and fucking hauls. I had it to 100mph before I knew what hit me.

Granted, we know it needs *some* work, but parts and DIY labor aren't all that bad.

And no, I'm not becoming anything. I've always had a hard-on for the 8 Series cars and finding a V12 just made it better.

Then do it already.

Bout time you grew up a little. :p

Let me know when it wants to get worked by a 3.0L V6.

I've been a lifelong lover of the 8-series, mostly for the fact that it can be had with a 6-speed manual transmission in a 2-door hardtop (no b-pillar, all side windows go down). I drove in one during high-school and fell in love.

That said, if you are looking at an automatic, why not just get an 840ci with the 4.0L V8??? There are far more of those available, and BMW made a million 4.0 engines so parts shouldn't be as difficult to obtain...

I dont recall specifics but when I researched getting one a few years ago, all the guys on bimmer forums said to run from the v12 cars like the plague. The motor in those cars is basically just two inline sixs stuck together so you got two of everything to have to service and pay for. You can find the parts cheap though if do enough online searching and if you do the labor yourself then itll be one hell of a fun car to have and play with. Restored they are absolutely gorgeous. If I remember correctly alot of the bimmer forum guys pulled the v12 and dropped in the v8 instead as they tend to last forever and make just as much power when treated properly. Biimerforums is the place to go for info and JJ at Auto Assets is hands down the best BMW tech ive ever met. He worked on all of mine for years and knows every inch of those cars top to bottom. It doesnt hurt that hes a BMW master tech as well. Now dont get me wrong hes not cheap but his work is absoutely flawless.