WHERE IT STOPS NO ONE KNOW

STEVE-O

Why do I not remember November 2008 being less than $2?

I was thinking the same thing. Gas prices in Columbus seem to be right on or higher than the national average as of late but back then were usually less. Looks like gas touched $1.50

http://66.70.86.64/ChartServer/ch.gaschart?Country=Canada&Crude=f&Period=36&Areas=Columbus,USA%20Average,&Unit=US%20$/G

No one gives a shit if gas is cheap, only if it's expensive.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the stock market is about to tank again huh?

I never said it's going to drop like it did. I just said it was interesting that the trend looks very similar to what happened in 2008, even matching up the time of year that this is happening. It's a possibility (gas prices will plummet again) and one reason why I don't give a shit what gas prices do. But I will say that I don't think it will stay this high and we probably will see a pretty decent drop after the summer. Everyone will freak out, stop driving their big SUV's as much, demand will drop some and drive prices down some. I will say I'm no gas price analyst, obviously, so these are all really just guesses.... well I think anyone who thinks they know what's going on in these markets is also really just guessing.

If we don't go co-op, Paul-Michael and I might go to either waste vegetable oil conversions (then, no need to make biodiesel fuel), or possible doing a supplemental mixture of 5 gallons per tankful of purified waste vegetable oil. The only cost in proecessing what we have will be the cost to remove the water and to centrifuge the oil. That cost is only pennies per gallon. Thus, for my Mercedes, it reduces the cost of a fill-up by $20.

Just throwing the idea out there. If people are genuinely interested, feel free to talk with Paul-Michael or me. If we decide to go down this road, we'll post our own thread explaining the concept in more detail. Right now, I just want to plant the idea in peoples' minds as an alternative to possibly having to pay substantially higher prices for gas in the long term. No intention to hijack this thread.

I would be interested in learning more...

-Marc

That means your wife drives somewhere around twice as much as your average person.

No, not really. 19-20k per year. Average for Americans is 13-16k per year. Our age bracket is much higher though as they account for kids. She gets a combined 18mpg.

Of course the amount you spend on gas over time is going to go up. And yes, I will not disagree that the price of gas has gone up disproportionate compared to inflation. So OK, it will 'effect' your budget, but if you see that small effect, you're doing something wrong.
grammer nazi....it's affect not effect in this case :) $165, I see it. In the grand scheme it's small but that's 2-3 dinners out for us. I enjoy those dinners out too.

Please note I'm not talking about your example of $165 because it's not a valid example.
Why is it not valid? I think it's more than valid. That's one minivan and one person. Most families pay for gas in more than one vehicle. We have it lucky in that respect, but still, minivans and soccer trips and kids abound and believe me, moms put on the miles with all the shuttling around they do.

Gas in Ohio just last summer was in the mid $2.60's. I have my mileage long online as a reference it as I have a company car and gas card which logs it all. They day I picked it up in June last year it was $2.52 gal. in Marysville. I know as I went with the guy to fill up my car and tried out my new card in exchange for a free oil change.

Anyways from the way you brag on here I can imply that your household makes multiple times what mine does.
We do fine, but I don't recall ever bragging about it :confused: Nonetheless, it's our money and $165 delta is still $165 regardless. Money has the same value in our home as yours. Buys me the same amount of food, fun and gas.

Here's the Ohio Chart from GB.com:

http://66.70.86.64/ChartServer/ch.gaschart?Country=Canada&Crude=f&Period=12&Areas=Ohio,,&Unit=US%20$/G

I never said it's going to drop like it did. I just said it was interesting that the trend looks very similar to what happened in 2008, even matching up the time of year that this is happening. It's a possibility (gas prices will plummet again) and one reason why I don't give a shit what gas prices do. But I will say that I don't think it will stay this high and we probably will see a pretty decent drop after the summer. Everyone will freak out, stop driving their big SUV's as much, demand will drop some and drive prices down some. I will say I'm no gas price analyst, obviously, so these are all really just guesses.... well I think anyone who thinks they know what's going on in these markets is also really just guessing.

It was a sarcastic remark, I was being stupid.

I think a CR biodiesel co-op would be uber-kewl. We easily have the know-how, and I believe we have a few Columbus locations we could use to dispense to our members. I know of someone sitting on 1000 gallons of waste vegetable oil, all in 5-gallon cubies, just for starters. It was free.

Paul-Michael (FyrhzrdGT) and I have been talking about manufacturing biodiesel for almost a year. The start-up cost is hard to justify considering it would just be two of us using it (and each of us also drives gas cars for part of our driving). However, considering that almost all diesel vehicles can safely run on biodiesel, it might make better economic sense if we had our own customers (co-op). Many co-ops are selling biodiesel to their members for under $2.00/gallon.

If we don't go co-op, Paul-Michael and I might go to either waste vegetable oil conversions (then, no need to make biodiesel fuel), or possible doing a supplemental mixture of 5 gallons per tankful of purified waste vegetable oil. The only cost in proecessing what we have will be the cost to remove the water and to centrifuge the oil. That cost is only pennies per gallon. Thus, for my Mercedes, it reduces the cost of a fill-up by $20.

Just throwing the idea out there. If people are genuinely interested, feel free to talk with Paul-Michael or me. If we decide to go down this road, we'll post our own thread explaining the concept in more detail. Right now, I just want to plant the idea in peoples' minds as an alternative to possibly having to pay substantially higher prices for gas in the long term. No intention to hijack this thread.

I'm interest in this too.