WHERE IT STOPS NO ONE KNOW

STEVE-O

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No shit, people who notice this in their budget's need to change something in their budget. :fa:

My wife goes through about 90-100 gals of gas per month. Thus we've gone from spending roughly $250mo. to fuel the van up to about $415 month. That's $165 per month.

So what you're saying is since we can easily afford it, we should notice the increase? I'm confused :confused: That's just a mom in a minvan. What do you think the impact is to those here who drive work trucks for a living such as those with a landscape or construction business?

If anyone here doesn't feel they would notice $165mo. please PM me to make arrangements to send all or part of that amount my way please.

I'm with the lot of you that really doesn't care, sure it's a bit of sticker shock pulling up to the pump and seeing $4.35-4.40 for premium these days but honestly the only time I really even think about it is when I'm figuring travel costs for the detailing business. Even then it's not my primary source of income so if I eat $2-3 that would have otherwise been profit from each detail I guess I'm still OK with it.

Not that it hasn't effected us, The benz gets 8-10mpg on average, my wife's commute used to be 1 mile each way but has recently changed to about 20 miles each way. What 'cha gonna do though, she loves that car, drives it like it should be driven :D and enjoys the heck out of it, can't see her asking me to buy her smething more economical.

http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/25/6527434-why-gas-prices-go-up-much-faster-than-they-come-down

I found this article interesting and highly appropriate for this discussion.

The increase in gas prices isn't going to break the bank for me, but it does make me upset. Every dollar that I have to pay extra to go to and from work for myself and my wife is another dollar taken away from my toys and fun. Also, we're going to the Outer Banks this summer and planning on driving...I'm not going to like the gas bill for that one bit.

Might as well deal with high gas prices now, because they are going to be the norm no matter what.

I don't understand how this violates the laws of supply and demand. Supply is up, demand is down, yet price keeps going up. Is the pull from China and India really that big?

Might as well deal with high gas prices now, because they are going to be the norm no matter what.

I don't understand how this violates the laws of supply and demand. Supply is up, demand is down, yet price keeps going up. Is the pull from China and India really that big?

Because no one understands that oil futures are based on SPECULATION. This means that speculators on wall street can essentially manipulate the price of oil to fufill some kind of special interest. Please remember that big oil corporations are still reporting record profits.

It's seems that gas prices always spike when presidential candidates start campaigning.

Because no one understands that oil futures are based on SPECULATION. This means that speculators on wall street can essentially manipulate the price of oil to fufill some kind of special interest. Please remember that big oil corporations are still reporting record profits.

It's seems that gas prices always spike when presidential candidates start campaigning.

I understand speculators and how they work, and you are correct they can manipulate it to fill a need. We talked about this in class 2 weeks ago and some people got pretty fired up.

I have to fill my Jeep up once a week with gas as it is and can't stand spending $300+ a month on gas. This is why I'm looking to pick up another car to daily.

That is why I got rid of the Element and picked up this Yaris. I get almost 400 miles out of one tank of gas. At the current price it will cost me about $45 to fill up, but that lasts me about a week and a half.

It will help to keep the TA fed...

No shit, people who notice this in their budget's need to change something in their budget. :fa:

It has nothing do with a person's budget. EVERYTHING is going to increase in price now. Your favorite canned vegetables for instance; well they have to pay more to havest it now b/c the picker eats fuel, they have to transport it to a canning facility, they have to take it to your favorite store's warehouse, now they have to truck it to your store. All your food, all your goods, this country runs on gasoline and diesel. It could cause a lot of problems in the near future.

That is why I got rid of the Element and picked up this Yaris. I get almost 400 miles out of one tank of gas. At the current price it will cost me about $45 to fill up, but that lasts me about a week and a half.

It will help to keep the TA fed...

I found a $2k car to DD and all the gas that doesn't go into the Jeep is going right into the Jet Ski haha.

I dont understand people bitching about oil companies making record profits. They make less than 10cents a gallon, they make record profits because they sell a product that we use the hell out of. If you dont want them to make record profits stop buying gas but dont bitch about a company that makes 10cents a gallon on a substance that they have to find, get permits from the EPA and environmental groups to drill for, drill for, transport it to the refinery, refine it, then get it to the gas station hell the only thing they rarely do is pump it in your car for you any more. All this while you will walk right into the gas station and plop down close to a buck for a 16.9oz bottle of water, one of the most abundant resources on the planet. Oh and why do people complain about the evil oil company's profit when the government makes something like 35-40cents off of every gallon. That is the money that I am concerned about.

I dont understand people bitching about oil companies making record profits. They make less than 10cents a gallon, they make record profits because they sell a product that we use the hell out of. If you dont want them to make record profits stop buying gas but dont bitch about a company that makes 10cents a gallon on a substance that they have to find, get permits from the EPA and environmental groups to drill for, drill for, transport it to the refinery, refine it, then get it to the gas station hell the only thing they rarely do is pump it in your car for you any more. All this while you will walk right into the gas station and plop down close to a buck for a 16.9oz bottle of water, one of the most abundant resources on the planet. Oh and why do people complain about the evil oil company's profit when the government makes something like 35-40cents off of every gallon. That is the money that I am concerned about.

Agreed.

Your math is wrong.

And to think that you are actually defending an oil company proves that you know nothing of the oil industry.

My wife goes through about 90-100 gals of gas per month. Thus we've gone from spending roughly $250mo. to fuel the van up to about $415 month. That's $165 per month.

That means your wife drives somewhere around twice as much as your average person. What I said was a blanket statement about an average person and won't cover outliers like someone who drives 25kmi+/year or drives more than that due to work.

Of course the amount you spend on gas over time is going to go up. And yes, I will not disagree that the price of gas has gone up disproportionate compared to inflation. So OK, it will 'effect' your budget, but if you see that small effect, you're doing something wrong. Please note I'm not talking about your example of $165 because it's not a valid example. The amount of money you've spent on gas in your example over the last 6 months has went up $115. That will be about half give or take for an 'average' person. Significant? Yes. Will I notice? I won't really notice. Can you have that money? No you can't have that money because it's mine. Anyways from the way you brag on here I can imply that your household makes multiple times what mine does. That just means I go out to eat once less pre month, or buy a little less toys. :fuckyeah: The type of stuff that's expendable and flexible in my budget.

Oh, in your example you're talking about gas going from $2.50/gallon to $4.15/gallon. The last time gas was that low was a year and a half ago. :no:

http://66.70.86.64/ChartServer/ch.gaschart?Country=Canada&Crude=f&Period=24&Areas=USA%20Average,,&Unit=US%20$/G

And gas was much cheaper than that two and half years ago so why not use that also incorrect example

http://66.70.86.64/ChartServer/ch.gaschart?Country=Canada&Crude=f&Period=36&Areas=USA%20Average,,&Unit=US%20$/G

And last time gas spiked like this the bottom fell out, so there is another reason I'm not really worried about this

http://66.70.86.64/ChartServer/ch.gaschart?Country=Canada&Crude=f&Period=60&Areas=USA%20Average,,&Unit=US%20$/G

The spike in the summer of 2008 looks damn near identical to this one.

I tell's a much nicer story if you look at gas prices in fixed dollars

http://zfacts.com/metaPage/lib/zFacts-Gasoline-Price.png

I've got nothing else to say, just wanted to post it since it's alot more accurate than looking at historic prices.

Always buy your gas early in the week. The speculation report comes out on Wednesday's so usually Wednesday afternoon to Thursday morning is when you'll see the jump. The thing that kills me is when the speculator's say the price of a barrel is going down, very few gas companies lower the price to match. They watch it for a few weeks than lower the price. But the instant they say it's going up, the price at the pump goes up.

Regardless, I'm still driving the turbo 240 more than the G6. I pull 23 avg in the G6 and as long as I don't beat on it 29 avg in the 240.

I think a CR biodiesel co-op would be uber-kewl. We easily have the know-how, and I believe we have a few Columbus locations we could use to dispense to our members. I know of someone sitting on 1000 gallons of waste vegetable oil, all in 5-gallon cubies, just for starters. It was free.

Paul-Michael (FyrhzrdGT) and I have been talking about manufacturing biodiesel for almost a year. The start-up cost is hard to justify considering it would just be two of us using it (and each of us also drives gas cars for part of our driving). However, considering that almost all diesel vehicles can safely run on biodiesel, it might make better economic sense if we had our own customers (co-op). Many co-ops are selling biodiesel to their members for under $2.00/gallon.

If we don't go co-op, Paul-Michael and I might go to either waste vegetable oil conversions (then, no need to make biodiesel fuel), or possible doing a supplemental mixture of 5 gallons per tankful of purified waste vegetable oil. The only cost in proecessing what we have will be the cost to remove the water and to centrifuge the oil. That cost is only pennies per gallon. Thus, for my Mercedes, it reduces the cost of a fill-up by $20.

Just throwing the idea out there. If people are genuinely interested, feel free to talk with Paul-Michael or me. If we decide to go down this road, we'll post our own thread explaining the concept in more detail. Right now, I just want to plant the idea in peoples' minds as an alternative to possibly having to pay substantially higher prices for gas in the long term. No intention to hijack this thread.