Guns + kids and family

XChris1632X

First of all, I didn't want to shit on the other thread and take it a different route but it motivated me to want to talk about something that's been on my mind.

Basically what I really want to know is how you guys incorporate your weapons into your house with kids. I used to keep guns everywhere when I was younger and never had a worry. I am a newer father now and the thought scares the shit out of me. My 5 year old LOVES guns. He is obsessed with them. I feel like I could teach him how to be around them responsibly but in all reality you can never be 100% sure nothing will happen. I have another child on the way as well so I'm even less unsure. I want to be able protect my family in any situation I would have to but how do I make my weapons accessible yet safe? I barely keep guns in my house right now but I want to, especially my carry gun. it usually stays in the car.

I just want some opinions. especially from the "seasoned" fathers. how do I expose my kids to guns but ensure they respect them enough to leave them alone. I was brought up around them but I remember times as a kid that I would sneak and screw with them. that's what I don't want. I know it only takes one time. this is where I start to question whether its worth it or not.

i am not a father (that i know of) but from other dad's ive heard they try and teach the child about firearms so that theyre not so curious. The old school of thought was keep it away from children at all times as much as possible but children are naturally curious so when you hide something or try and keep somthing from them they will gravitate towards it.

A good approach would be to introduce the child to firearms in a controlled environment, teaching them the 3 basic rules and that they are extremely dangerous and not to be played with as a toy. This is just my two cents.

^^^ Agreed. Teach them the basic safety rules and give them the opportunity to shoot them in a controlled and safe environment as much as they want. The more time they spend around them and handling them, the more respect they will have for the damage that they can cause. Also, by giving them all the exposure that they're interested in, you take away the desire to want to "play" with them when no one is around. Keeping ammo seperate and inaccessible will also help to ensure that no accidents occur.

Ive taken the guns out of my house due to my son being so young. All I can do is hope for the best and hopefully never be put into a situation where I would need a gun. Maybe I should just keep a cross bow in the house and defend the household with that, it'll be a couple years before he could cock one of those.

I understand the method of teaching safety and proper exposure because that was how i was raised. I had the opportunity to shoot multiple times a month as a child and was given my first .22 rifle very young. It somehow never fully eliminated curiousity. This is what scares me. You can trust your children as well but i feel you can only trust an extent based on level of maturity and age. Maybe I am a little paranoid being that I am a father now but I know it only takes one lapse of judgement on a childs part to turn into a very bad situation. And let's face it, at the end of the day they are still children. Right now I feel as though you can never fully eliminate the possibilities of a bad situation. Is it worth the chance for a childs life? I know I turned out fine but many children do not.

Take it from someone who as a kid shot a gun off in the house by mistake if you have kids and guns the guns MUST BE LOCKED UP! Kids love to explore and show off and that can be deadly. Luckily as a child when I shot the gun in the house nothing happened but it could have been worse. As for exposing them to guns I have a 5 and seven year old and I have started them off with BB guns (only with my direct supervision). This is a fun easy way to expose them. Ii would not leave a loaded gun in the house of car unless it was locked as your kid will find a way to get to it. Personally I bought a biometric safe and Ii keep it next to the bed for home protection. There is no way the kids can get into it and it opens fast for me if I need it.l

Take it from someone who as a kid shot a gun off in the house by mistake if you have kids and guns the guns MUST BE LOCKED UP! Kids love to explore and show off and that can be deadly. Luckily as a child when I shot the gun in the house nothing happened but it could have been worse. As for exposing them to guns I have a 5 and seven year old and I have started them off with BB guns (only with my direct supervision). This is a fun easy way to expose them. Ii would not leave a loaded gun in the house of car unless it was locked as your kid will find a way to get to it. Personally I bought a biometric safe and Ii keep it next to the bed for home protection. There is no way the kids can get into it and it opens fast for me if I need it.l

^^ my twin in a lot of ways. All of our handguns are locked in biometric safes and the shotgun has a trigger lock. it's a must as kids will find a way.

I just bought a pellet rifle to begin teaching my son, and he's going with me in the coming days to get fitted with safety shooting glasses.

I have no fear of them getting to my guns or ammo, but then it does involve being completely religious about putting them away and keeping them locked up. Begin educating them, but never consider kids educated on proper handling. They are just kids. Some may disagree, but my son won't fire a real gun until he's 16 and then it will be an upgrade from his .22 cal pellet rifle to a .22 cal rifle. I went through this and it worked and was safe for me.

I'm right there with you. My son is 4 and absolutely loves guns, although he's been this way since he could talk. I let him hold them and look at them whenever he likes to. He helps me clean them, take them apart, etc. He knows to ask and he knows they are not toys. I really feel my son is a lot more mature and intelligent for his age. He has an airsoft pistol and targets for it, we haven't had a problem yet. He's gotten to the point where he doesn't point his toy guns at people and even yells at his uncles for pointing them at people. lol All my guns at much higher than he can reach.

Growing up our guns were always in a safe and hanging on a gun rack in my dad's office. I don't think getting one of the guns down was ever a though for me, because just being in Dad's office was an ass beating in itself. I was given a spring BB gun when I was 4 but when I was about 7 or 8 and starting to get to the point where I could reach the ones in the rack my dad bought me a .410/.22 and took me shooting anytime I wanted. When I do have kids all the guns will just be in a combo safe, on me, or locked in a small bedside safe.

All my guns at much higher than he can reach.

Things called ladders and chairs exist.. they help you reach tall objects. Be careful, put them in a locked safe, and install trigger locks. Lock the ammo somewhere else.

One accident is all it takes to lose a child. There are entirely too many stories of children shooting sibling accidentally. The sad part is, these are 100% preventable..

Things called ladders and chairs exist.. they help you reach tall objects. Be careful, put them in a locked safe, and install trigger locks. Lock the ammo somewhere else.

Yeah I have so many 7 ft ladders laying around my bedroom that I trip on them about 5 times a day.

You don't know me or what I do, don't even try to paint me with some broad brush.

I have been a gun owner for a short time and never a father, but its definitely something I want to have a plan for when I eventually have kids.

My plan: Get rid of all the guns in the house but one. The mathematical chances of the gubmint coming to my house and violating my rights is much much lower than the mathematical chances that if you have a gun, your child will find it. Shit, there's barely a thing I own that I could even hide from the prying eyes of a woman, let alone the insatiable curiosity of a child.

I'm not suggesting that a single firearm household is what you need to do, different solutions for different people, but after speaking with lots of people as well as my personal convictions, I think that's what I'll end up doing.

This is one of those things that will give you 1 million opinions and possibly no "right" answers.

As for my thoughts, and that's all they are, it's no different than your kid at 14/15 and starting to learn to drive. Do you take them out on back country roads to practice and get the hours required for their temps or do you hide the keys from them?

Think about it. How many 15/16 year old kids steal their parents car b/c they never get to drive, don't know much about it, and are curious? Do we treat the car as we do guns? Nope. Keys are left where everyone in the house knows it and cars sit in the driveway just begging to be driven.

Pop quiz. What kills more people every year, including teens, cars or guns?

Knowledge is power. If you have your kids respect and you use common sense concerning safety guns in the house are perfectly safe. How many eons did houses have guns and 14 kids in 1 little cabin? Today is no different.

Just my .02 though.

EDIT: And FWIW I grew up in a house where dads gun cabinet, with a glass door, displayed his shotguns, pistol, and rifles. Guess what? He taught me right, taught me safety and functions of the guns at a young age, and I NEVER touched them or wanted too. I also never stole the car or went into their bedroom without permission.

• Confused 1

My guns are all hunting weapons, I make them safe before storing them and keep the ammo hidden far from the guns.

My children understand they are dangerous and I have taught them to respect the power they have when they have a gun. Adults must be present and if they are at a friends house and a gun comes out without an adult present, they are to leave.

This is one of those things that will give you 1 million opinions and possibly no "right" answers.

As for my thoughts, and that's all they are, it's no different than your kid at 14/15 and starting to learn to drive. Do you take them out on back country roads to practice and get the hours required for their temps or do you hide the keys from them?

Think about it. How many 15/16 year old kids steal their parents car b/c they never get to drive, don't know much about it, and are curious? Do we treat the car as we do guns? Nope. Keys are left where everyone in the house knows it and cars sit in the driveway just begging to be driven.

Pop quiz. What kills more people every year, including teens, cars or guns?

Knowledge is power. If you have your kids respect and you use common sense concerning safety guns in the house are perfectly safe. How many eons did houses have guns and 14 kids in 1 little cabin? Today is no different.

Just my .02 though.

EDIT: And FWIW I grew up in a house where dads gun cabinet, with a glass door, displayed his shotguns, pistol, and rifles. Guess what? He taught me right, taught me safety and functions of the guns at a young age, and I NEVER touched them or wanted too. I also never stole the car or went into their bedroom without permission.

Your experience is admirable, but IMO a little foolhardy.

You can teach your kid to respect and handle guns carefully, just as you can teach them to drive a car carefully and to respect their knowledge --or lack thereof -- of the road. In fact, your kid may be the most knowledgable and safest driver and shooter in the world, but that's only part of the battle.

Kids make bad decisions; its part of being a kid. Its the experience of thinking that you know all about something because someone, like your father, has told you that you've been trained well. As a 16 year old I was a very confident driver, never got in any accidents and was never really in any danger of hurting myself or others from my point of view. However, I did drive too fast, and I never considered that other drivers out there are absofuckinglutely insane and could kill me regardless of how in control I was.

Its the same with guns. I'm confident that I could teach my kid not to do stupid things, but kids under peer pressure will do stupid things, or their untrained friends may be less respectful and careful. All it takes is one mistake.

You can teach your kid to respect and handle guns carefully, just as you can teach them to drive a car carefully and to respect their knowledge --or lack thereof -- of the road. In fact, your kid may be the most knowledgable and safest driver and shooter in the world, but that's only part of the battle.

Kids make bad decisions; its part of being a kid. Its the experience of thinking that you know all about something because someone, like your father, has told you that you've been trained well. As a 16 year old I was a very confident driver, never got in any accidents and was never really in any danger of hurting myself or others from my point of view. However, I did drive too fast, and I never considered that other drivers out there are absofuckinglutely insane and could kill me regardless of how in control I was.

Its the same with guns. I'm confident that I could teach my kid not to do stupid things, but kids under peer pressure will do stupid things, or their untrained friends may be less respectful and careful. All it takes is one mistake.

Teaching a kid the power of a gun and letting them shoot under supervision is the best way to satisfy their curiosity IMO. First time I shot a .410 and blew up a pumpkin I thought "holy shit" and knew then that it was a powerful weapon and not a toy.

Eric

Teaching a kid the power of a gun and letting them shoot under supervision is the best way to satisfy their curiosity IMO. First time I shot a .410 and blew up a pumpkin I thought "holy shit" and knew then that it was a powerful weapon and not a toy.

You both make fine points. I think Yenner is on when he says no one answer is right. Kids are all different, and we all have a responsibility to gauge which way is safest for our children, and anyone else in our homes.

That's what I meant. It's really a case by case scenario. I have friends who grew up sons of huge hunters and the "game room" had shotguns and rifles lining the walls. Not one of them or their friends ever had an accident. Not saying it COULDN'T have happened, because that would be absurd. Anything can happen. They all just grew up hunting and had their own guns so they weren't mysterious toys to them.

On the flip side, I know someone who grew up in a very nice suburban area and weren't taught anything about guns. Finds one, pulls the trigger, friend is dead.

Yes anything can happen. Yes kids are stupid. Yes peer pressure is a factor. Raise your kids right, teach them right, do YOUR part to keep the firearms safe and as inaccessible as necessary, and that's all you can do.

Just my thoughts though.

~50 kids killed per year by unintentional discharges. 50 more than there should be, but just be smart and nothing will happen. Safes are great, use them.

I grew up in a house with pistols, shotguns, and rifles just sitting in my dad's bedroom closet. The ammo was in his night stand. It didn't take a 10-12 year old long to figure out those facts.

I was shooting all of the above when left alone and it scares me what could have happened. That led me to be MUCH more careful about guns in my own house now.

I grew up in a house with pistols, shotguns, and rifles just sitting in my dad's bedroom closet. The ammo was in his night stand. It didn't take a 10-12 year old long to figure out those facts.

I was shooting all of the above when left alone and it scares me what could have happened. That led me to be MUCH more careful about guns in my own house now.

No offense, but your dad was extremely irresponsible, as were you, but at that age of course you were. We all were.

No offense, but your dad was extremely irresponsible

Really, captain obvious? :)

Different times, my man. He grew up the son of a sheriff, shooting shit day in and day out around farmland, and then shooting whatever moved in Vietnam.

Think Hank Hill's dad... with shins though, and you're getting close to Dad.

I also drove mopeds at 9, cars at 13, stayed at home without babysitters at a young age, and somehow, here I am doing just fine. Most of the country is pushing the sissy side of raising kids, my Dad was probably a little too far the other way. :)

I can't change it; I can only learn from it.

I have 5 kids and I am constantly worried about it. I keep mine hidden with a gun lock on it and the keys hidden in a different location. I'm not gullible enough to believe my kids dont go in my room when I am not home so I figured educating them is the best bet. My oldest are 15 and 12 and I have taken them both shooting and try to educate them as best as possible.