I love you HTC

unfunnyryan

All of their phones, from now on, will have an unlocked bootloader. Essentially, this means loading custom roms and rooting your phone will be a painless process, with almost zero risk.

Won't see THAT with an iphone :fuckyeah:

http://www.softsailor.com/news/80946-htc-all-our-devices-will-feature-an-unlocked-bootloader-from-now-on.html

In before Verizon can't make up their mind about supporting or blocking the phones with this feature. Same goes for Sprint.

They can't tell unless you modify the radio, doesn't matter. Offering warranty support on the other hand...

Very happy. I need a new phone soon what would you recommend? I have a moto droid and constantly rom and custom theme it. Plus I am comfortable running adb and commands in a terminal window.

Guest Spam
Just because the bootloader is unlocked doesnt mean recovery will be easily cracked. Especially if they keep with the plan of 236 bit encryption. Im praying too. I just put in my 50 for the evo 3d when it launches. Hopefully in two weeks. We shall seeeeee.

what exactly does it mean when you root your phone? what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Rooting gives you super user privileges on your phone. Imagine it like kinda being the system administrator on your work computer, you can do whatever you want, like change the ROM, install APK's directly from the SD card (APK's are Android Marketplace app files), use certain programs that require being rooted, like that one program that lets you use a nintendo wii controller on your phone to control emulators. There are no cons to rooting....

And the HTC announcement about the unlocked bootloaders..... previously all HTC's bootloaders where also unlocked. Then they went and locked down a couple phones bootladers, and their customer base complained enough to where HTC did the right thing and made this announcement. So yes it is a good thing, but its nothing new, its just like HTC phones have always been, they just brang it backl!

They can't tell unless you modify the radio, doesn't matter. Offering warranty support on the other hand...

Or they can tell HTC to get bent and get phones from a different supplier. Ain't like HTC has a lock on Android phones.

As long as Verizon/Sprint/et al charge for tethering, I can't see them tolerating this.

Rooting gives you super user privileges on your phone. Imagine it like kinda being the system administrator on your work computer, you can do whatever you want, like change the ROM, install APK's directly from the SD card (APK's are Android Marketplace app files), use certain programs that require being rooted, like that one program that lets you use a nintendo wii controller on your phone to control emulators. There are no cons to rooting....

And the HTC announcement about the unlocked bootloaders..... previously all HTC's bootloaders where also unlocked. Then they went and locked down a couple phones bootladers, and their customer base complained enough to where HTC did the right thing and made this announcement. So yes it is a good thing, but its nothing new, its just like HTC phones have always been, they just brang it backl!

This. Except you could always install APKs directly from your SD card unless you had failT&T who locked their Galaxy phones down.

Be HTC, Be Awesome.:fuckyeah::fuckyeah::fuckyeah:

The next nexus phone better be an HTC phone.