99 honda si help

gt-titan

working on a guy from works 99 honda civic si. when driving it is cutting off like the fuel is shuting off but if u stand on it it picks back up and it dont do it all the time... theres no engine light on and it runs fine with it just sitting and running.and when i say it cuts off it is like i turned the key off and turned it back on....any idea where i should start....thanks..jeff. oh if u need to know what motor its a all stock b16 five speed...

Is this while under any load or when you're coming to a stop? Can you be a little more specific about when it decides to cut out?

it is under a load... and when it happens if i stand on it power comes back on

Edited by gt-titan

You could check the TPS sensor, I don't usually work on Hondas but you should be able to read the voltage output with a multi-meter and see it change smoothly through the throttle's range. Just a thought off the top of my head, don't really know what's common on those.

You could check the TPS sensor, I don't usually work on Hondas but you should be able to read the voltage output with a multi-meter and see it change smoothly through the throttle's range. Just a thought off the top of my head, don't really know what's common on those.

ok its on the list also....keep it comming guys....

ok its on the list also....keep it comming guys....

Maybe you should try a couple things on your list before we start throwing out every possible cause for your issue. Report back with results.

sounds like its something in the ignition switch, but the common things with older Honda/Acura cars are: 1. electrical portion of the ignition switch 2. main relay 3. coil or igniter. I've never seen a bad TPS on any Honda/Acura car but that doesn't mean it can't fail

ok thanks i will have the car back this weekend to work on it.. i will post what i find out...thanks everyone.....

sounds like its something in the ignition switch, but the common things with older Honda/Acura cars are: 1. electrical portion of the ignition switch 2. main relay 3. coil or igniter. I've never seen a bad TPS on any Honda/Acura car but that doesn't mean it can't fail

Im gonna have to agree with above statement and say it is the main relay prolly. If you do not give the car gas will it just stall out? And is it sometimes hard to start up?

Main relays just go bad. I think.. Try replacing that though. Its a $20-$30 item.

yep that is what is doing.push on the gas it will go then cut off....almost like u turned the car off then turn it back on and if u lift off the gas it is off...but it will stay on sometimes also.

Im gonna have to agree with above statement and say it is the main relay prolly. If you do not give the car gas will it just stall out? And is it sometimes hard to start up?

Main relays just go bad. I think.. Try replacing that though. Its a $20-$30 item.

What plugs and wires are in the car?

find out if it has had a coil or ignitor replaced and with what brand!

do not buy a new main relay resolder it.

i would lean away from the main relay and look more of a spark or fuel issue. how is the timing? doe sit have aftermarket timing belt or cam gears ? has the head or block been milled?

We need more info on the car and some better descriptions of the problems. is this stock? doe sit have an obd-1 ecu swap and been tuned? need more variables.

What plugs and wires are in the car?

find out if it has had a coil or ignitor replaced and with what brand!

do not buy a new main relay resolder it.

i would lean away from the main relay and look more of a spark or fuel issue. how is the timing? doe sit have aftermarket timing belt or cam gears ? has the head or block been milled?

We need more info on the car and some better descriptions of the problems. is this stock? doe sit have an obd-1 ecu swap and been tuned? need more variables.

1st post said the car is all stock

sounds like a typical crank sensor problem on any car that has a crank sensor

crank sensor is not a common issue with Honda/Acura cars.

I did over read that, but it says motor is stock nothing about wiring and computer!?

yeah everything is stock on it... i will start truble shooting and let u guys know.if theres anything else i should check let me know.....any chance there could be a short at the fuel pump...

TPS is a possibility on the GM stuff I work on, you're the guy I'd call if I was having issues with a Honda/Acura.

• 3 weeks later...