VW whizzes..I have a question

Mace1647545504

I am looking to buy a stick as the son is wanting to learn now he has driven for a while.

It will be a cheap car as it is strictly a learning machine.

I've been looking at VWs(jettas and such non diesel but possibly a turbo) but dont now much...hell nothing about them.

I do know a little about turbos as I had an early 90s awd turbo talon, but info on those would be helpful also.

What should I be looking for??

Thanks

Mace

Id just get a 2.0 those engines are amazing and the manual transmissions will go forever. Just change the tbelt...if not oh well they are non interference.

The 1.8 is a great engine if maintained. The 5 speed trans is the same so no problems there only difference is a dual mass flywheel. The engine it self as long as oil is changed with synthetic then you are good. If has common leaks as far as cam seals on front of motor and then then chain tensioner seals on the back side..look like a valve cover leak but more expensive/time consuming to replace.

They are a mess, and will probably be difficult for you to find an acceptable one in a "cheap" price range. Always ask about timing belt service on 1.8T and 2.0. Horrible coolant leak issues, suspension problems, flex pipes which include catalyst replacement, the list goes on.

On the other hand we do have 1 customer that has made 194K miles on her 1.8T Jetta, but she has not missed a single maintenance mark and is religious with her oil changes.

Worked on vw for about 7-8 years never seen coolant leak issues on jetta/golf/beetles except coolant flanges on side of head which is a 50 dollar repair. Sometimes the afterun elec coolant pump will leak but very rare. There are a couple wheel bearing issues with age but replace them like anyother front wheel drive car. I have owned 15-20 volkswagens personally and all of them were great cars to own. If you find someone who borderline took care of a 2.0 car then you will be golden! There are great German parts stores online cheap for parts... Mjm autohaus, pap parts and ecs tuning to name a few

I've got a stick-shift Passat V6. Honestly? Stay away. Get a cheaper car with cheaper parts for your son to learn on.

Annnnnd bingo, what most of our customers say. We hardly see them anymore, because they have sold them off.

Both my wife and sister learned to drive a manual on VWs, and neither had any problems. For a kid's car you want to stay away from a 1.8t, and look for a 2.0. If you're just looking for a beater $1000 car for a kid to kinda thrash and learn on you might be able to find a 1990s VW for that price.

Guest Spam
They are a mess, and will probably be difficult for you to find an acceptable one in a "cheap" price range. Always ask about timing belt service on 1.8T and 2.0. Horrible coolant leak issues, suspension problems, flex pipes which include catalyst replacement, the list goes on.

On the other hand we do have 1 customer that has made 194K miles on her 1.8T Jetta, but she has not missed a single maintenance mark and is religious with her oil changes.

^^^^This... Unless you know the owner and they've serviced it on time, I would stay away from them..

Why not a 5 speed honda?

I tell new drivers to always look at toyota or honda.. throw a timing belt and water pump on it and it will last 200k miles..