What would you do? Car buying

wnaplay1647545503

Found a 2000 mustang I was condsidering buying for my son. The car is a v6 which we decided would be best and its an automatic, super clean.

The downside is the seller wants $200 more than I swore I would spend.

Good:

its clean

well maintained

great price even with what the seller is asking

I wont find another one at this price

Bad:

Not the best color

Its an automatic

$200 more than I want to spend

Oh and its a v6 but nothing I can do about that

So do I just spend the extra loot?

make your kid pay the extra 200...in the grand scheme of things, would you really want to let the car go because it s 200 over your budget?

also, does it HAVE to be a mustang? if so, you'll be spending some extra cash on winter tires anyway if you like your kid

I would buy it. Long as it's clean, well maintained, $200 wont be enough for me to not get it. Find something else that is right color but not as well maintained, gonna spend that $200 real quick in just getting it up to speed.

I just bought a 04 Mustang V6 for a commuter car about a month ago and I looked for close to 2 months. But I wanted a very specific color and options. Ended up getting one with 40k miles, auto and exact color I wanted for $7500. Even though it was well maintained, once I got it home I went over it with a fine tooth comb and had to replace the battery, clean the MAF and drain/refill the tranny fluid.

Seriously;

Tell the dude no and walk away, one of two things will happen.

1) you will get the car for the price you were looking for

2) you dont buy your MALE child an automatic v6 mustang.

I learned on a stick. One of the best parenting choices my rents ever made. Dont buy your son an automatic unless your too lazy to teach him how to drive a standard. Then you become a bad parent.

I have been negotiating with this guy for 2 weeks and hes not coming off that price. I am a decent negotiator and have pullede out all my cards. I got him to come down $1200 already but its hard to negotiate when a guy comes down to what he has in it and thats as low as he will go.

I dont know if the automatic/stick thing is that big a deal. In all reality he wont be leaving reynoldsburg in it in a good while. Hes really not into the whole car thing much so he wont know the difference until someone who is, points it out. Same goes for it being a v6.

I have been a parent for a long time, I dont see giving a kid, male or female, a auto/stick as being a good/bad parenting decision.

I have been negotiating with this guy for 2 weeks and hes not coming off that price. I am a decent negotiator and have pullede out all my cards. I got him to come down $1200 already but its hard to negotiate when a guy comes down to what he has in it and thats as low as he will go.

I dont know if the automatic/stick thing is that big a deal. In all reality he wont be leaving reynoldsburg in it in a good while. Hes really not into the whole car thing much so he wont know the difference until someone who is, points it out. Same goes for it being a v6.

I have been a parent for a long time, I dont see giving a kid, male or female, a auto/stick as being a good/bad parenting decision.

I see no problem with your point of view and don t let anyone tell you otherwise here :thumsbup:

winter is fast approaching though...do you want him out there on non-winter rubber?

I'm making my son earn his car. So far he's saved up around $600 from working over the summer for only a weekend job. He pays for the car and if there are repairs that need to be made I will pay for them and he will help me fix it. That's just me. I'm trying to find a decent crap car for about a grand that way if he wrecks it it's only a grand. Not like a $5000 car and he totals it and he's (or I) is out of the money.

I see no problem with your point of view and don t let anyone tell you otherwise here :thumsbup:

winter is fast approaching though...do you want him out there on non-winter rubber?

I have never driven a car on anything other than regular tires so I dont see any difference. Hell in all the years I have been driving I have only bought one set of tires and that was for my wifes van last year. I did have a friend who worked at a tire shop put new rubber on my old van 10 years ago for helping him put a fence in, but other than that its just been whatever the cars have come with. I live a weird life. The mustang I can get for $2200. I am on my way to look at a 1998 a4 I just got a pm about from another cr member.

I'm making my son earn his car. So far he's saved up around $600 from working over the summer for only a weekend job. He pays for the car and if there are repairs that need to be made I will pay for them and he will help me fix it. That's just me. I'm trying to find a decent crap car for about a grand that way if he wrecks it it's only a grand. Not like a $5000 car and he totals it and he's (or I) is out of the money.

i saw a 1996 yota that needed a battery for 1100. looks pretty nice. ill see if i can find it.

edit;

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2541986684.html

2 things.

1. Buy him an automatic. Haters gonna hate. But a stick is just something else to distract a n00b driver.

2. Dont buy a mustangf. Especially that body style. The hood seems to go on forever in my opinion. They are pretty ass happy cars in the snow. Just a bad first car imo.

• Downvote 1

The mustang I can get for $2200. I am on my way to look at a 1998 a4 I just got a pm about from another cr member.

I would highly recommend against the A4 for a kid's car. They're sensitive to maintenance, expensive to buy stuff for, and suck with an auto.

That A4 is a helluva deal for someone. It is a stick which he doesnt want. The guy would take $1k. It needed detailed pretty bad but it would clean up nice. Bad thing it is white which would give us 3 white cars in the driveaway. He has an extra set of good rims(s4 rims on it I believe), everything overhauled(with receipts) 5 years ago from MAG. EAsily repaired spot on the seat where the stitching came undone. Newer tires, brand new battery, all synthetic fluids ect.. It does need a windshield which is $400 I think he said and the abs system needs work. If the windshield wasnt crack so bad it would be in my driveway right now. My son didnt like it but I would drive it and give him my suv. I am afraid after I fixed the windshield and looked into the ABS system I could have just bought the car he wanted with easier maintenance in the future. My son is so layed back I could pull out a brand new cobra and he wouldnt crack a smile. I am starting to think it would mean more to me to give him a car than for him to receive it.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1419930&postcount=10

That A4 is a helluva deal for someone. It is a stick which he doesnt want. The guy would take $1k. It needed detailed pretty bad but it would clean up nice. Bad thing it is white which would give us 3 white cars in the driveaway. He has an extra set of good rims(s4 rims on it I believe), everything overhauled(with receipts) 5 years ago from MAG. EAsily repaired spot on the seat where the stitching came undone. Newer tires, brand new battery, all synthetic fluids ect.. It does need a windshield which is $400 I think he said and the abs system needs work. If the windshield wasnt crack so bad it would be in my driveway right now. My son didnt like it but I would drive it and give him my suv. I am afraid after I fixed the windshield and looked into the ABS system I could have just bought the car he wanted with easier maintenance in the future. My son is so layed back I could pull out a brand new cobra and he wouldnt crack a smile. I am starting to think it would mean more to me to give him a car than for him to receive it.

V6 or 1.8T?