CLEETUS IV: First Ford!

zeitgeist57

Big THANKS to Rick (LT1Rick) for coming back over on Saturday to help me get the engine and tranny married...and then put into the truck! I didn't take any pics, and tried to get more connections completed on Sunday but the tornado warnings and impending weather doom forced me back in.

Big beeyotch to the RockAuto shipping center for sending me the wrong lower coolant hose. Srsly dood...LOOK AT THE PN# BEFORE DROPPING IT IN THE BAWKX! :mad:

WAFFLING UPDATE: After momentarily getting excited talking to Matt (Tinman) over the weekend about a Crown Vic front suspension swap to lower the truck, I realized it would be a lot of work (and money to have Matt do it!) that I'm not willing to spend on this truck. Looking for used Dream Beams now: least amount of modifying hassle to drop the front end down. Cut springs are still on the table as well. :)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=669&pictureid=5977

Haven't seen floorboards that rust-free since Cleetus 3!

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=669&pictureid=5978

PEEK-A-BOO!

I had to...ahem, "CLEARANCE"...the floorpan to accomodate the T18. The crossmember wasn't the correct one for the transmission either. But, I spotted the transmission mount bolts and drilled a couple of large holes. Problem solved.

I worked on it a bit this afternoon. Got it buttoned up enough to at least fire the engine up and run it for 30 min to break in the cam. Clutch linkage connected and secured, exhaust downpipe from manifolds bolted up, starter motor connected, radiator in, hoses clamped, all electrical/sensor connections complete, fluids filled...

However...

When I went to kick off the engine, NOTHING. Not even the click of the starter solenoid. I thought it was a dead battery, so I left my Odyssey running and connected the battery terminals (battery went to Advance Auto for an overnight charge) and still no clicking. Oil light comes on the dash, but nothing else (including lights!).

So, I figure I'm missing a connection somewhere, or a ground...no big deal. Wrapping up the day and I thought that just jumping the starter motor wouldn't be a bad idea...I take jumper cables from my running Passat now to the (-) engine block via alternator bracket, and (+) to the cable directly to the starter. Still, nothing. I'm clearly missing something major here. Will investigate further this week...

I learned - err...was reminded of - the importance of electrical grounds last night...

Picked up a new starter solenoid with my charged-up battery. Installed solenoid on firewall and connected battery. Turned key and solenoid clicked :thumbup:. Happily turned hey off/on a few times, and solenoid stopped clicking. :( Hit the turn signal stalk, no lights. Battery is fully charged??????

Remembered a ground strap running from firewall to the engine block. Found the strap lying on the driveway under the truck (probably been there since pulling the engine in November...classy!!!) and bolted it back in. Get back in the cab...interior lights pop on, turn signals work, solenoid clicks loud and proud. HOW ABOUT THAT?!?!? Little old stringy wire strap made a big difference in grounding the interior circuits!

However, the starter motor didn't turn a lick. I took JUMPER CABLES, grounded the starter housing, and tapped the positive lead to the starter terminal. Nothing. Going to take the original starter to Autozone for a test and possible replacement as necessary; found an Autozone gift card from Xmas when I was doing my taxes last night. :)

Engine is tight, everything hooked up...ready to go! I'm hoping the starter will crank and I can break in the cam...

IT LIVES!!!

Woohoo! Saturday afternoon, replaced starter solenoid and cranked it for a bit, tweaked dizzy, fired up but had a really lumpy idle. Loud as sh!te at the y-pipe. Got it up to what I thought might be 2000-2500 RPMs (no tach!) and put a rock on the gas pedal. Let it break in the cam for 30 minutes. Good times. Neighbors came over to congratulate me like I had another child. :)

Saturday was very therapeutic for me. After several months of on-and-off working on the truck, to hear it run really made me happy. I went with my wife to a party Saturday evening, and I was glowing; part was my sunburn, part was getting the truck started. :) For some reason, I lost sight of this thing actually being transportation. I know that sounds wierd, but with it staying in one spot the whole time, I think my mind started treating it like a stationary hobby: like a train set or something. After checking some loose bolts and going over the truck while it ran, it genuinely started to hit me that I have another truck to drive again!!! Good feeling for sure.

Talking to Columbus Joint and Clutch regarding driveshaft options now...

Meh...Columbus Joint and Clutch want's $391.75 for parts. $0.70 an inch in tubing for a two piece, all new driveshaft. Definitely not what I want to settle on for a driveshaft. :(

I'm going to start searching for Ford trucks that have my transmission...see if I can't get something used...

FRIDAY: I get back from Pennsylvania, and immediately balance digging into removing the T18 4-speed bolted into the truck, and also taking care of the family. :) By 6:30pm, I had the trans out - feeling optimistic - but it took until 1am to get a new 3-speed floor shifter bolted onto the old RAT-H 3-speed and get it back in the truck. driveshaft back in as well, and everything (except speedo cable) bolted in, ready to go!

I spent a long time on the shifter: after looking at the design of how the shift tabs and linkages are supposed to go, I ended up reversing the shift tabs (hanging down instead of vertical) and fine-tuning the neutral-gate setting. I've driven a few of these floor-shifter conversions and I've never felt a better setup that what I have now. Really nice, snickety-shifting action. I hope it holds up.

SATURDAY: Missing a couple of last minute items, I go to Cars and Coffee in my Passat. By 10am, it starts raining. It never stops. :( 6pm, my wife and I go to an Ovarian Cancer Association fundraiser. No work for today, but I'm eyeing the "sunny and 80" forecast for Sunday...

SUNDAY: After church, I finish a few things and fire up the truck...

SUCCESS! SHE'S A DRIVER!!!

Clutch takeup is beautiful, and after a run around the block, I take off down the street. PROBLEMS: I can't get her to idle, and runs prety rough. I filled up the tank with fresh gas, but the idle is doo-doo. After it's warm, it cranks and cranks without firing, right until you let off the key and then it spits momentarily. Then, crank it again and it stumbles to life. Also, when I'm going on a steady speed, the engine note changes tone slightly. I'M PRETTY CONVINCED IT'S THE STOCK COIL or DISTRIBUTOR GOING BAD. Sparkplugs look tan and show good coloration, if not a little on the rich side. Gonna replace coil/dizzy next (cheap, and look like they could be retired from duty!) :)

I have an JEGS "Red Hot" coil you can have for free if you feel like making the trek to Delaware.

Thanks, brotatoe. I just picket up a new Accel Super Coil at Advance yesterday for $28.

But...I'm now out of town for the rest of the week. We'll see how the weekend pans out with the new coil.