Standing Mile Coming To Ohio in 2012

wagner

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would run without a cage, no question. (if it were allowed)

Driving a caged car on the street without a helmet is more dangerous than taking a car that (from the factory) does 150-160 for a run on a closed course IMHO.

When Car and Driver, Motortrend, any magazine, or even the factory tests these cars for max speed they sure as hell are not putting cages in them for the test.

I used to think this way, but I saw something recently that changed my mind and I have a friend who is still alive. No I'm not going to elaborate, but a cage will find its way into my car soon.

And people forget that if you pass THIS tech, you will be good for pretty much any sanctioned racing body that has a tech, anywhere for all types of racing. Nothing wrong with Safety- and I have found "cheap" alternatives to most of the rules when Ron and I were planning to prep the Colt for the First Hot Rod street car Challenge.

Would you WANT to do 154 without a cage is the question.

Maybe if I were going that fast all the time...

Better get cages on the motorcycles. At the very least showroom stock cars shouldn't need any additional equipment, that's retarded.

ECTA is very strict on rules but they have also had fatalities at there events where Texas has not (hopefully never does). It comes down to the insurance, and some of you really don't see the importance of that or what it event takes to get one of these events approved, let alone run..

Do I think it sucks for a cage going 135+ and 150+....YES....but they race worse case scenario. If something does go wrong and your 130+mph OEM car leaves the course, I don't care who you are.....you won't walk away.

Just because you trap 100+ in the 1/4-mile doesn't mean you'll run 130+ in a full Mile either....LOL...

I used to think this way, but I saw something recently that changed my mind and I have a friend who is still alive. No I'm not going to elaborate, but a cage will find its way into my car soon.

+1 cages save lives, and as far as running on the street, they make padding for roll bars for a reason.

And people forget that if you pass THIS tech, you will be good for pretty much any sanctioned racing body that has a tech, anywhere for all types of racing. Nothing wrong with Safety- and I have found "cheap" alternatives to most of the rules when Ron and I were planning to prep the Colt for the First Hot Rod street car Challenge.

True, but building out the STI is not what I want for it. This would be the only race that would require a cage. AutoX and Track days would not. I want to keep the car as a "street car" and making the back seats unusable isn't in that plan.

Who knows.... maybe by 2013 I'll have a new engine in the WRX and I'll cage that. But it's not likely. And the 818 would probably be gear-limited.

No, but if you are trapping 120+ in the 1/4, I don't think it's too far off the mark to consider you could hit 135+.

For some but most with the wild gears or close to stock vehicles aren't going to be anywhere close to 150+ like they think. A stock 335i or STi doesn't even run that....

....and that's on perfect conditions.

For some but most with the wild gears or close to stock vehicles aren't going to be anywhere close to 150+ like they think. A stock 335i or STi doesn't even run that....

I've seen my car pull past 150, so I think I'd be gear limited to around 170+, it's hard to figure out with a loose converter in the mix. Not sure if I'd get that high in a mile or not, things take a lot more space to keep winding it out.

You seem to be pretty involved in this stuff, what are the cars that show up like?

In addition to the front and side air bags, the Bentley has an overhead airbag as deployable rollover protection. Any idea if the rules would accomodate that? I'm guessing not.

Worse case scenario, Bentley has a bespoke roll cage and seat-mounting bracket made from T45 with heavy density padding, covered in rhino hide with hand stitching. The custom race seat has additional bolster travel but at the expense of deleting the A/C and massage features. And the rear mounting points require de-activating the surround speakers in the rear and blocks the rear passenger reading lights. I realize that it takes sacrifice, but I'm not sure that it would be worth it. :confused:

I've seen my car pull past 150, so I think I'd be gear limited to around 170+, it's hard to figure out with a loose converter in the mix. Not sure if I'd get that high in a mile or not, things take a lot more space to keep winding it out.

You seem to be pretty involved in this stuff, what are the cars that show up like?

What does your car run in the 1/4-mile and what gearing?

At Texas, there is pretty much anything you could dream up or imagine. They are a LOT more relaxed on the rules and understand people wanting to bring out there weekend toy without having to build a full on race car.

ECTA doesn't get that and think if you are going over 135mph+ you need a cage ++++....

III-2 ROLL BAR & ROLL CAGE: All cars in competition over 135 MPH, must be equipped with a roll bar or roll cage structure. All closed cars between 135 and 150 MPH must have a 4 point roll bar. All closed cars between 150 and 175 MPH must have a 6 - point roll bar. All closed cars over 175 MPH must have a full roll cage. All open cars are advanced one bar / cage category over closed cars. Any individual wishing to enter a vehicle which deviates from these rules MUST contact the ECTA 45 days before the event for approval.

New for 2006 - Current NHRA certified roll cage equivalents are acceptable.

If you just want to come out and run what you brung you are better off traveling to TEXAS...

http://www.texasmile.net/

They were going to try something like Texas does at Loring but people didn't want it or give enough attention so it was continued as an ECTA style event.

True, but building out the STI is not what I want for it. This would be the only race that would require a cage. AutoX and Track days would not. I want to keep the car as a "street car" and making the back seats unusable isn't in that plan.

Who knows.... maybe by 2013 I'll have a new engine in the WRX and I'll cage that. But it's not likely. And the 818 would probably be gear-limited.

I would also say in your case it would be a waste to tech prep a car thats going to struggle to hit 150 in the mile. For better or for worse, cars are all but purpose built for this.

In addition to the front and side air bags, the Bentley has an overhead airbag as deployable rollover protection. Any idea if the rules would accomodate that? I'm guessing not.

Worse case scenario, Bentley has a bespoke roll cage and seat-mounting bracket made from T45 with heavy density padding, covered in rhino hide with hand stitching. The custom race seat has additional bolster travel but at the expense of deleting the A/C and massage features. And the rear mounting points require de-activating the surround speakers in the rear and blocks the rear passenger reading lights. I realize that it takes sacrifice, but I'm not sure that it would be worth it. :confused:

Ship that thing to Texas and Run it there! AS IS

I never said 150+, I said 135+. That extra 15MPH can be a big hill to climb.

What does your car run in the 1/4-mile and what gearing?

Mine is a 3.42, best trap to date has been 122 in the 1/4. I think I could get 135+ in a mile at least. Though, i'm with many of the other people in that i'd love to see what it would do for the hell of it but i'm not gonna build it as a mile car.

why not just run your car to 130 and shut down. If you decide you want to go faster, at that time you can decide what route you want to go and make the needed adjustments.

If I make the effort to go, I wanna see what the top is not if it can do 130.

My car is also heavy, plus I'm not sure if I'd want to run my car for that hard and long. Dunno if the rod bolts could take it.

Stock 5th Gen's run in the 150's and you've got better aero so you should do fine...

No Doubt....Anyone have info on what iit takes to run something like thai and what kind of classes are available?

Check the links I posted...

• 6 months later...
This is next week, me and a friend will be driving our stangs up for a week to watch that weekend. Who all is going to this? Any meeting plans or anything? Also looking for possibly a little "fun" after the event.