Porting your number to Google Voice....?

Putty

As far as I know, your phone number belongs to you so legally you can take it with you wherever you go.

I don't see the point in porting your existing number, because it cancels your plan with your carrier, and then you still have to get a new plan and number with your carrier for it to work. I just got a google voice number.

People who use GV don't port a number to it; it was really helpful back when cell companies didn't port numbers like they do now. People used their GV number as their cell number that way it never changed even if they swapped carriers. People would call your GV number and your cell would ring on ATT, Verizon, Sprint, T Mobile etc..

Also is nice when overseas to have GV and a iPhone or smartphone with GV on it bc you can make free calls back to the US if needed. I have it on my iPod touch and am going to take it to Europe with me so when I'm on wifi if I need to I can call stateside.