CR Review: 2012 VW Passat

zeitgeist57

Last week in between calls I found myself near MAG, so I thought I would stop in to check out the new Passat. Unlike car blogs/mags, I don't seek out the fancy stuff: gimme a stick shift, and all assorted kit I can get for the least amount of money. Would've LOVED to drive a stick-shift TDI, but they only had a TDI SE with the automatic. They did have a base-model 2.5L with a stick available. Took it for a spin.

First of all, the 2.5L is a horrible car engine. With less than 50 miles on the odo, this thing cold-starts worse than my 125kmile '00 Passat. It sounds like it's grinding coffee, and the RPM's hunt for a sweet spot to warm up in a very unsettling way. Once on the go, it does offer decent torques, and held itself reasonably well.

That aside, I was solidly impressed with the car...defintely a huge improvement in previous Passats for the last 10 years. It was far more solid-feeling that the 2011 Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima's I drove, it handled well for having tiny steelies. The big thing was the INTERIOR; truly looked/felt better than cars I've driven costing $32k and up. Definitely the most impressive $20k new car I've driven in recent memory overall. The standard kit was excellent: Power everything, dual automatic climate control, Bluetooth phone AND radio, cruise, etc...more than I would expect from a car in this price range. No navigation: really? you're not using your phone for this? No XM radio: I've got a premium Sprint plan. With the Apple iPhone, and VW's Bluetooth Radio, I can play Pandora/XM through my phone, through my car...no need for another subscription to pay for!!!

Lastly, this thing is HUGE on the inside. I set the front seat comfortably for my six-foot frame in the drivers seat, and then moved to the back seat. I could reach down to touch my toes and tie my shoelaces without hitting my head on the front seat. Yeah, it's got a lot of interior room. :)

I like the fact that it's built in Chattanooga, TN. What really made me stop from seriously considering buying it is the price premium for diesel: at least $5k. While not unexpected, I really would be kicking myself for buying a replacement for the Passat (and ultimately leap-frogging my plans for a used CTS-V!) of this daily-driver caliber without getting a diesel engine as well. Even though I cover a lot of ground for work, I don't think I'd be able to recoup the $5k premium in fuel cost savings in owning this thing.

CLIFFS: For $20k, THE BEST new family sedan/DD/commuter car you can buy. I'm not ready to go $25k for the awesome diesel/stick holy grail...yet. :)

Good feedback. I'm not a fan of the styling at all. Boring if you ask me. However, as a DD'er and commuter as you would be using it, I can see it being a strong value. I'm not in the market in that range, so I can't comment on other rides. Glad to hear there's still value to be had out there.

The flip side, clay, is for the 27k that the tdi costs, what car is as big, offers 40mpg and has a stick shift? Nice cars for sure, and with the large wheels, look very classy. I couldn't get the seat in the right spot, kept feeling like I would slide off the front, and its too bad the v6 doesn't offer awd. 35k for a loaded 280 hp awd dsg sedan would be bad ass!

I really feel vw is missing some good awd options in cars.

The passat requires euria refills where the jetta/golf/sportwagen do not.

For the size, and price, its a fantastic car.

After some thought over lunch about used CTS-V/diesel Passat, I did come to the realization that the aftermarket may come up with some serious BPU+ options for this car, which would totally max out the sleeper scale.

250hp/500tq six-speed manual, gets 40+MPG? Me gusta, indeed. VAG phags, keep me updated. THX.

The passat requires UREA refills where the jetta/golf/sportwagen do not.

Meh. Get drunk, piss in urea reservoir. Problem solved......like a bauce.

OR, gut the exhaust and ditch the Urea injection system, reflash ECU? Save weight, ditch complex tree-hugging, maintenance-required system? SHIKKIN DINNAH! :lol:

Cool review, Clay. But come on, broski, you know you're made for the CTS-V.

:fuckyeah:

BELIEVE THE INVERSE OF YOUR HYPOTHESIS, MAH BROTHAHH!

^^^How do you blow up the font size? Like all the kool kids are doing on the CR intarbutts these days?

BELIEVE THE INVERSE OF YOUR HYPOTHESIS, MAH BROTHAHH!

^^^How do you blow up the font size? Like all the kool kids are doing on the CR intarbutts these days?

You put brackets around "size=10" at the beginning and then "/size" at the end. Like this:

CHECKIN IN AT GYM NOW ABOUT TO DO WORK LITE WAITE

If you plan on reselling it anytime the diesel VWs typically hold their value much much better. If you're going to keep it forever or drive regular miles, get the shitbox 2.5.

The Jetta Sportwagen is supposedly not the shitbox US-spec crappy Jetta like the sedans are. Highly recommend against DSG for any modding though.

The golf/gti/beetle/sportwagen are all based off the german mkv platform, and are not specific to the us. The jetta and passat were americanized for greater slaes, and the passat is us specific. Not sure if the jetta is though.

I like my 09 Jetta TDI. It's not fast by any stretch of the imagination but in 50/50 driving is getting right around 42 mpg. I'm happy with the quality of the car as well. 30k miles and nothing wrong yet (knock on wood). I don't think you can go wrong with a diesel vw, as long as you use it for it's intended purpose. It's not fast, flashy, or luxurious. But seeing the mpg read out on the dash over 50 makes up for all of that.

There are a few companies tuning and making exhaust mods but the gains don't outweigh the cost yet. The most I've seen out of the CR-TDI is 170 hp and 350 ft-lbs to the wheels. That's after about $2800 in mods, mostly tuning, exhaust, and DPF delete.