what fullsize/compact handgun to buy?

HotCarl

I know i'll get the typical answer, "go out and try each one" but i want opinions here. Im 90% sure i want to get a Glock 17 or 19. I currently have a glock26 as my ccw so i like the fact that the mags will be interchangable and I think im turning into a Glock fanboy.

Might be open to a 1911 as long as it didnt cost me an arm and a leg. I like sig's but they can be pricey also and i have yet to shoot one. So any suggestions? sig p226? M&P? XD? 1911? kahr? black powder revolver?

oh and my price point is around $500 give or take, i would spend a bit more if it was something i really liked. And I'd like to stay with a 9mm but could be swayed to a .40 or .45, blackwing currently has brand new Glock 21 on sale for $479 i believe.

If you go to look at a glock 19 make sure you check out the M&P as well. I went to buy a glock 19 and came home with an M&P9 for what it's worth, has been good for the past few thousand rounds although magazines are more expensive.

I'd stay away from the cheap 1911s. I thought the Springfield "mil-spec" 1911 was a mediocre deal at $400, and they've gone way up. In my experience a cheap 1911 is nothing but jams, broken parts, and warranty work even from a reputable manufacturer.

I always prioitize the safety scheme of a gun prior to purchase as well. My primary gun is a SA 1911. It has a chambered round indicator, grip safety, half-cock hammer position, No-fire when the magazine is removed, keyed disablement mechanism and a very positive-action standard safety switch that even rotates up and blocks the slide. Lots of guns besides 1911s have some or all of these. I don't dislike "trigger safeties" but I would never personally want a gun that relies on that as the primary safety. I know they offer revolver-like fire-ready times to autoloaders and that is important. Just not my thing. I bought a Walther P22 for my wife. It is a really fun plinker but I neglected to notice it uses a safety switch motion oposite of the standard 1911. When I shoot it I always have to remember that. Another example....I grew up shooting air guns and still do. Most of them use a button safety...quick hit with your trigger finger and you are ready. So, when I shopped home defence shotguns I made sure I found one with that safety scheme. Every time I've had to use it under pressure I've been happy with that decision. I'm trying not to be a Glock or XD hater here. I know they are reliable as hell, light, sweet trigger pulls, smooth operating in all ways. But when I think of myself maybe waking from sleep or maybe injured grabbing for a gun...or my wife needing a gun in a pinch....I worry about the safety scheme as much if not more than stopping power, sight visibility/geometry, ergos, etc...

...oh and all that being said....my LCR is slowly becoming my favorite gun. It's only safety is a looooong trigger pull. Does anyone know if the internal hammer on an LCR is in contact with the pin or does it have the typical blocking mechanism ruger does so well? Or maybe it just backs off the pin once it resets and the trigger is fully forward? I guess I'm somewhat of a hypocrite not knowing that.

there are cheap 1911's out there

Ones worth owning? I've usually always believed the theory "you get what you pay for" especially when it comes to guns. That being said I love the kimber ultracarry's, i think its the 4inch barrel? But from last i saw they were pretty expensive.

What are you buying it for? That might help narrow down the field...

I want a larger frame handgun. Like i said before i already have a G26 as my ccw. The gun im looking to purchase will be mostly used at the range, i might carry it in the winter aswell. Id love to get into some IDPA matches or 3 gun stuff but its hard to find the time.

As for ergo's ive handled the XD and loved it, same with the M&P. Scotty, i thought about going with a G21 but the tradeoff between having 17rounds of 9mm available in the mag and 13 available in a .45 mag, aswell as i already have a 9mm handgun are probably the deciding factors. As i aquire more and more firearms im trying not to have a bunch of different caliber's so it wont cost me an arm and a leg when i go to the range. Found a guy who wants to buy my Taurus Judge for $400 this saturday so i'll probably go shopping sunday for a new piece, im giddy like a school kid.

I'm intriqued by the Judge...is yours the PD? How is it to shoot?

Honestly, i got it a few months ago and its sat in my closet since then b/c powder room said i couldnt shoot it there and i havent made it up to blackwing. I like it but i just cant see myself ever carrying it as a ccw. Then someone asked me if i would sell it so i said sure? why not?

oh and it shoots a .410 shell or a .45 long colt, ive heard the latter kicks like a motherfucker, add to that its the 'public defender' edition so its a pretty small frame so im sure it kicks hard, but i have yet to shoot it like i mentioned.

Ones worth owning? I've usually always believed the theory "you get what you pay for" especially when it comes to guns. That being said I love the kimber ultracarry's, i think its the 4inch barrel? But from last i saw they were pretty expensive.

I'm of the opinion that you are more likely to find an overpriced 1911 these days than a piece of shit. 1911's got the reputation of being very fidgety from poor build quality, but in the past 10-15 years their popularity has skyrocketed, and as a result the manufacturers collectively got their shit in line. I bought a fullsize Rock Island a couple years back, I've put maybe 4,000 rounds through it, and it only gives me trouble when I go about 1,500 rounds between cleanings, it gets to the point where I have to tap the slide closed. Otherwise, its only jammed twice, once was the first mag I ran through it, the other was when someone else was shooting it and limpwristing. Otherwise, its been perfect and is far more accurate than I am. I paid $350 for it and couldn't be happier unless I move up into Wilson Combat territory.

The RIA 1911s used to be wildly inconsistent. Maybe they've cleaned things up in the last couple of years, but back when I was looking at them (2 years ago) most were unreliable, horribly inaccurate (8" groups at 25 yards), sloppy, and built with junk parts. Given it is/was a bargain basement 1911. I hope they've gotten better.

Copperhead when did you buy yours and what ammo/mags have you been using to get 4000 rounds through it so well? How many parts have you replaced in 4000 rounds?

Dad's FNP9 or FNP40 (NOT FNX9/FNX40) is hands down and by far the best full size pistol I've shot. Just so you know that I haven't handled Hi Points and Jiminez Arms my whole life here's a list of guns I've shot regularly (and recommend also) that didn't compare IMO. These are guns I've handled on a regular basis, not just a rental once at a range or shooting 10 rounds from a buddies. Either I've owned them or very close friends or fam have owned them and I've put several hundreds of rounds through them (save the .44 and 50 calibers. That gets pricey. :))

- Colt 1911

- Glock 26

- Glock 19

- Ruger SR9c

- Ruger P95

- Ruger LCP

- Ruger LC9

- Ruger LCR

- S&W .44 revolver

- S&W .38 Special

- S&W M&P

- S&W .357 mag

- S&W 500

- Desert Eagle

- Springfield XD (both full size 9mm and compact .40)

I would recommend any of these (again, save the 50 cals for obvious reasons) as a great shooter. Once again though, and this is JUST my opinion, the FNP pistols by FN are the finest and most comfortable. It's like shooting a Cadillac (or insert fav luxury car here).

Went to Blackwing today to try out some different guns and see what grips felt best. Ironically i liked the G19 better than the 17. the sales guy was really helpful and after i told him what my price range was recommended i grip a sig 2022 in 9mm, holy shit it was perfect. As much as i didnt want to buy anything other than a glock that sig made me reconsider. I ruled them out b/c ive never seen them cheaper than 800ish but this was brand new for $529. I know nothing about the sig models, all i know is this was a double-action, polymer framed 9mm and felt fucking perfect. I have a good friend in law enforcement who said he would look into what kind of discount he could get, just waiting to hear back.