My 12yr old son shot a monster buck today!

LPFSTheFett

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/9906/chrisdeer.jpg

For those that don't want to read my book, skip to the bottom for the video. ;)

I greenscored the deer at 158 gross, 152 net. It will shrink some, but should make Ohio Big Buck for sure. Deer had a 24" spread. Not bad for his first deer.

So as any deer hunter will tell you, some seasons are rougher than others. I have been hunting my butt off this year and the biggest buck I had an opportunity to shoot was a small 10 pointer. I hadn't had a real opportunity to take my son out because of his school etc, and the place I go on the weekends would be nearly impossible to get him in there with me w/o spooking the deer.

I had plans on taking him out for the youth gun weekend that starts tomorrow, but needed to get him up to the Farmer that lets me hunt his land so he could sign his permission slip and meet my boy, Chris. We got there a little later than I had hoped (3:30), but Chris got to meet the farmer and sign the slip. I had all intentions on taking my son out to the farmers 100 acre spot that I have patterned the deer on, but it was taken tomorrow by another guy, and the farmer was insisting that this little patch of woods that was only 7 acres was a hot spot(keep in mind I've passed this spot up 15+ times). He said he sees deer sign in there all the time, so I figured why not give it a shot, worst case, I can do a little scouting before tomorrows hunt.

So we walk back there and I set up the ground blind. After about 30-45 minutes, I just wasn't happy with the whole setup. Didn't like the way the wind was blowing, didn't like that we weren't brushed in, just didn't like it at all. If a deer would have came through, it would have spoted the blind and taken off. So we tear the blind down real quick, and go sit inside the corn rows. Much better! better field of vision, less worrying about sound because the light breeze would mask any sound my son would make, and the wind was much better for us.

About an hour goes by and boom, this monster comes out. I tell my boy to get ready there's a monster, and he doesn't even believe me. Doesn't get his bow up. I'm like, get your bow up now, there is a MONSTER. He get's it up, I place the steady stick under it to help steady his shot. Deer comes in 40 yards and he nails it!

Here's a video. I could have done a better job recording, but this was his first ever deer kill and trying to tape that and make sure he's getting everything done that he needs to. The whole time having this HUGE deer in front of us. It's a lot going on.

That's awesome! Great video too, he will cherish that when he gets older. It surely got my heart pumping. The deer are moving like CRAZY today with the cold. I saw a buck today in the same spot today 4 times in a 7 hour span. It was 25 off the road. I also spotted 4 does and a buck chasing them three time today at my house/shop/hunt spot. The sad thing is, I haven't had the chance to get out once yet. Today got me going though. I'm pumped.

Did you have to track it far?

Congrats to your boy. Too bad he could spend the rest of his teenage years chasing deer that might never come close to matching the size of that one.

I know this sounds stupid, Ive never been deer hunting or know jack about it. But can you eat the male deer ?

Sure can, they pretty much all eat the same. Though one this old won't be as nice as a younger deer. The meat will be tougher.

Did you have to track it far?

Congrats to your boy. Too bad he could spend the rest of his teenage years chasing deer that might never come close to matching the size of that one.

Didn't have to track it too far at all! I was slighly worried at first because I saw that the arrow hit a little lower than I was hoping. But in the video, the last spot you see the deer, is right where we found him. And there was a pretty big blood trail leading to him. We gave it 20-30 minutes before going to the spot where he entered the woods. I didn't want to push him. Was one hell of a drag though, even though it wasn't far. Deer had to weight 250-275 field dressed. I could barely get it into the back of the truck.

I don't think he quite realizes what he accomplished with that deer and the shot he made. Plus the circumstances. It's hard enough to hunt as it is and it's 10x harder getting a kid on a deer at all let alone a big buck. Getting them to sit still. Then they'll never see the deer first, so you have to spot the animal, relay the information to them, help them get setup the best you can and hope they can pull it off.

Just last year I had him on a decent non typical 10 pointer, but it came from behind us. I had to get him turned around in the blind, help him get the crossbow steadied, all while the deer was looking at the blind like "wtf is that? havne't seen that before" He goes to pull the trigger, and damn if we didn't take the safety off. Deer gets spooked and bolts. Needless to say that was the first thing I did, the second I saw the deer. Get that damn safety off lol.

I will say the insides of the deer were different than any other deer I've had to gut before. There was a webbing connecting all of his organs to the chest cavity. This carried through all the way up towards the asofocous(sp) area. So much so, it was difficult to do. Was really odd.

Thanks for all the compliments, I'll share it with him when he gets up!

Jason

Nothing grilled yet. I'm actually giving the meat to the farmer that lets me hunt his land. I try to get him 2-3 deer. And I just now got my doe back that I killed a couple months ago. Perfects in Johnstown took forever this year.

Thanks again for the comments. I'm back out again tonight. Had to run off some trespassers squirel hunting, so don't have high hopes. But you never know!

I call it an 8 point framed buck with 10 total points. One is a non typical point, 10th point is a non semetrical point. Had the deer of had that non semetrical point matched on the other side, it would have put it in an entirely different class.

Like mine last year was a 15 point on a 10 point frame, with 4 non typical points and the 15th point being a non semetrical point.(which btw is VERY rare, and crazy we both have one) My deer grossed a higher score than his, but his deer is way bigger. It's not even close, I'm so excited for him.