Cigarette smoking on gov't assistance

zeitgeist57

Aside from being a great husband, father, and provider - as well as a god on CR :) - I am a volunteer for Lifecare Alliance. We are rolling out a new "AniMeals" program, where we can deliver dog and cat food to shut-ins and clients who cannot get out or can't afford to buy pet food for their pets.

Yesterday afternoon, I did my first run. Needless to say, the clients who are participating in this program are very appreciative. One guy's got a service dog as he is pretty immobile so it felt really good to give his awesome dog Quincy some Pedigree and pig ears for snacks. It's a great program, but I have to admit something I hated...

Despite serious health problems making mobility very difficult, or severe poverty, EVERYONE I MET WAS SMOKING. If my "client" wasn't smoking, then they were in a household that stunk of cigarettes, meaning someone else living with them smoked......

Call me crazy, but with cigs approaching $5-6 a pack - and of course the well-known health risks with smoking and second-hand smoke - YOU SHOULDN'T BE RECEVING ANY GOV'T ASSISTANCE AND STILL BE ABLE TO SMOKE. If you say you can't afford pet food, but you CAN afford cigarettes, then there is something wrong. I never thought about this before, but it's bugging me now!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has bothered me for quite some time. Where is the fiscal (or even moral)responsibilty? If they weren't getting government assistance would they quit smoking or would they starve and continue to smoke? I see this all the time at the grocery store and gas station. People that can't afford to fill thier tank or feed their children, but they buy smokes. It's upsetting.

Agree completely. Accountability and a plan to change thier lives are what most people is this country lack.

Worse than smokes and beer though are kids. I feel so bad for their kids. They can't afford to care for themselves, now they need assistance for thier pets, yet they make a decision to have kids. Sad.

Hey, even the working stiffs do the same though. How many drive nice cars yet bitch about or can't afford to take care of them? Worse yet they drive a car that equals their annual income and live in the hood. Their one step away from your clients.

I have a friend who is out of work right now, living is assisted housing. She can't afford a cell phone which is a must while job searching, but she can afford her puffy treats.

At least she has no kids or pets to deal with, and she is the only one who directly suffers for her decisions.

Smoking is the most worthless thing ever. It does nothing for you and shows that you are a weak human.

Actually, smoking does a few things for you. Not all negative. Secondly, it makes you no more or less weak than any other craving or habit. Of course, I'm sure you have zero craving or habits that you ever give into. I mean, you wouldn't generalize and disrespect an entire group of people out of ignorance and bigotry would you? :rolleyes:

Think before you speak.

BTW, I don't smoke. :)

Actually, smoking does a few things for you. Not all negative. Secondly, it makes you no more or less weak than any other craving or habit. Of course, I'm sure you have zero craving or habits that you ever give into. I mean, you wouldn't generalize and disrespect an entire group of people out of ignorance and bigotry would you? :rolleyes:

Think before you speak.

BTW, I don't smoke. :)

Smoking is for pathetic people. If you can't quit smoking you might as well get cancer Of the asshole and die. Weak minded ppl smoke.

Where is the fiscal (or even moral)responsibilty? ....gas station. People that can't afford to fill thier tank ... but they buy smokes. It's upsetting.

I always find it funny when people pay for gas in cash and can't afford to fill up their tank, doubly if they put a $20 down and buy cigs or whatever else and use the remainder to not fill up their tank.

I just gave a speech on this.

ill play devils advocate for a sec. if you were almost immobile and you got enjoyment out of a cigarette wouldn't you smoke?

But heres a few more facts..

did you know you can buy with food stamps

energy drinks

5 hour energy shots

any candy any ice cream

even frozen drink mixers as long as there is no alcohol.

virtually anything with a nutrition label you can buy.

that pisses me off..

I just gave a speech on this.

ill play devils advocate for a sec. if you were almost immobile and you got enjoyment out of a cigarette wouldn't you smoke?

But heres a few more facts..

did you know you can buy with food stamps

energy drinks

5 hour energy shots

any candy any ice cream

even frozen drink mixers as long as there is no alcohol.

virtually anything with a nutrition label you can buy.

that pisses me off..

the stuff that you can buy with food stamps is ridiculous. they even take food stamps at gas stations and udf's! because that's a great place to buy nutritious food *eye roll*

they even take food stamps at gas stations and udf's! because that's a great place to buy nutritious food *eye roll*

Well, if that's the only place you can reasonably get to, then it is what it is. The problem is access and knowledge about what is healthy. That corner store being your the place to get food is a problem for not just people who are on food stamps but also people who work for every dime they spend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_desert

Over-processed foods have been forced into our lifestyles until it's the only thing some people know.

I understand food deserts. That's why columbus has made an effort to move farmers markets into areas like that.

I think the food stamp program should be a little more like WIC where they you can only buy certain items and certain amounts. Most items are store brands, you can't get sugary cereals, they make you buy whole grain bread and they give you an allowance to buy fruits and veggies. I think there should be some control with food stamps instead of letting people just buy whatever they want. It should be structured to reflect a healthy diet.

So is "AniMeals" a government assisted program that provides food for poor peoples dogs?

It's not a formal gov't program...Lifecare Alliance has been working with a lot of major companies for food donations, and now they are getting lots of animal food as well. Sooo...they are developing a database and delivery schedule in conjunction with Meals-on-Wheels and Groceries-to-go "clients" to give them food for their animals.

I do love the fact that some of the older shut-ins really don't have anyone else in their lives except for their pets...so this plan is great. Plus, those people frequently feed their dogs or cats from their meals, which hurts their nutrition. It's just rough to see the abuse in the system. We have so many social programs to help people, and the WRONG people are taking advantage of the system. Tough to control and regulate, tho... :(