So when your car gets worked on...

Cordell

I've been thinking about general maintenance on cars, and how half assed it gets done by most people. I'm not talking about car guys, just the general public. Not so much how often it gets done but how shitty it gets done.

Take every shop I've ever worked at, there's alays some lazy fuck who won't clean out funnels, doesn't make sure the filter is tight, or the drain plug for that matter. Now I'm not perfect I've made the mistake of having an oil leak, but it never leaves my bay because I double check stuff. In the 2 years I've worked here we have replaced over 5 engines because our lube rack is horrible.

2 points to this, how can people go in blind and trust that their car will get worked on properly, and don't get your oil changed at Dave Gill unless you request someone you know.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty damning assessment of your own place of work.

I wouldn't want the oil they pull out of their 30 year old underground bulk tanks, I wouldn't want the junk ass graphite additive they put in every car, and I sure as hell wouldn't want these lazy ass numbskulls working on oil change. I don't even know what oil they use, but I've pumped it with dirt in it.

We could talk for hours about stuff we've seen in our shops. Haha.

But it's hit and miss. There are some really good techs at quick lubes, franchise, and dealerships. And there are very lazy people who sell work and don't complete it.. Or half ass it.

But there are just as many people that do it themself thinking they are doing it the right way, or saving money. And it ends up at the dealership because they screwed it up.

I've worked at a quick lube, we had one accident in the year I worked there.

I worked at Midas for 4 years.

And been at Toyota for 2 years now.

You see a lot of shit come through. Lol.

I too would not use the oil from the pumps. As no one knows what kind it is, and it's probably not the best.

Problem is most businesses hire young kids as oil changers to learn. Everyone has made a spill every now and then. But unlike us, they don't check twice. Hell even if I can't remember if I tightened the drain plug I crawl under and make sure.

I've been thinking about general maintenance on cars, and how half assed it gets done by most people. I'm not talking about car guys, just the general public. Not so much how often it gets done but how shitty it gets done.

Take every shop I've ever worked at, there's alays some lazy fuck who won't clean out funnels, doesn't make sure the filter is tight, or the drain plug for that matter. Now I'm not perfect I've made the mistake of having an oil leak, but it never leaves my bay because I double check stuff. In the 2 years I've worked here we have replaced over 5 engines because our lube rack is horrible.

2 points to this, how can people go in blind and trust that their car will get worked on properly, and don't get your oil changed at Dave Gill unless you request someone you know.

It's because they don't care. To most people, their car is nothing more than an appliance. It's there to the job of commuting, grocery store runs, kid-carting, etc. and nothing more. As long as they do the minimum that impacts their time the least (Jiffy Lubes, etc.) that they think keeps their cars running, all the better.

You have to remember the people on here are the 1%.

It's because they don't care. To most people, their car is nothing more than an appliance. It's there to the job of commuting, grocery store runs, kid-carting, etc. and nothing more. As long as they do the minimum that impacts their time the least (Jiffy Lubes, etc.) that they think keeps their cars running, all the better.

You have to remember the people on here are the 1%.

The 1% LOL

I realize that most of this shit goes on, it just doesn't register with me. You'd think people would want to take care of their cars, but people don't wash them, don't do anything but oil changes.

The biggest improvement for me going to the dealership is that I don't have to deal with these cheap ass worthless fucks face to face anymore. I have little to no respect for people who don't want to take care of their stuff, of course lots of these people didn't have to work for their shit either.

I take my Odyssey to Roush Honda, but only because we have an extended warranty on it. Whenever the warranty expires, it's getting RockAuto.com parts and Clay service! :)

Most people go to a dealership because they don't care, or there is a perception of better service than an independent shop. Little do they know...

What blind trust? You replaced the engines for free, right? I imagine there was a loaner car involved as well?

If I took my Kia in to get an oil change and the stupid techs frag the engine, I really don't care. It's a transportation appliance. Give me a loaner, replace the engine, and I pretty much stop caring at that point. Most places probably do many thousands of proper oil changes for every 1 that goes awry, so the odds aren't worth worrying about it.

Only two shops I would go to. One is a sponsor on this site and one is local in my town. I have only been to a dealership a few times for work to be done and that is only because the vehicle was under a warranty and both times became a nightmare. Had a 99 vette with a leaky rear axle and they had the car forever after ordering the wrong part I received it back dirty on the inside with dirt and gravel on the mats and a nice little scratch on the back bumper. Z71 pick up had a idler pully going out under warranty,well they replaced it and I went on a trip right afterwards. I made it to tennessee and that is when the serpentine belt came off,what a mess.

This is why i hate our Nissan dealership up here. My wife had a 2.5l Altima and they forgot to fill the engine back up with oil. They sent her on her way and when she started hearing a ticking noise she found her dipstick was bone dry. Dealer didn't do shit. She traded it in the next week for another Altima, so now I still have to deal with these worthless fucks. They cross threaded her lugnuts too and I had to bitch up a storm for them to do anything. I want to get rid of this car so bad, just so I never have to go back.

My mom use to take her altima to the nissan dealership for everything and they always treated her nice. They never tried to sell her something she did not need. How rare is that ? Then again it is a Nissan and I now have this car with 229,000 miles.

That is rare. Everytime I go in it takes over an hour for an oil change, even when no one is in front of me. I've had people that come in after me leave before me, all because they strip my car down and bring all my air filters to the waiting area. Then they leave all the stuff from my glove box on the passenger floor. That shit drives me nuts. Plus I pointed out that both front shocks were leaking when I was in for an oil change. They said, oh you're at 37k miles and the warranty was only until 36k. We'll replace them for $xxxx.

What blind trust? You replaced the engines for free, right? I imagine there was a loaner car involved as well?

If I took my Kia in to get an oil change and the stupid techs frag the engine, I really don't care. It's a transportation appliance. Give me a loaner, replace the engine, and I pretty much stop caring at that point. Most places probably do many thousands of proper oil changes for every 1 that goes awry, so the odds aren't worth worrying about it.

So maybe they don't frag the motor. Let's say I'd rather bullshit with my buddy in the back room so I just slap a filter on it and don't change the oil or even worse just wipe the filter off because it is the same brand we use.Your oil is the same oil from 5 oil changes ago and slowly beats down your engine and wears it out. I just bump the heads on the alignment machine instead of aligning the car. Your tires wear out sooner. I strip the pan putting the plug back in and you are on a trip or not at the same place you use every time (because you go wherever is cheapest, closest, etc) and the next place doesn't replace your pan for free. I don't rotate your tires as requested. Your tires get cupped and need replaced. I don't check the brakes. Your pads wear out halfway to Florida and you end up grinding into the rotors and destroying them preventing you from doing a pad slap or turning the rotors.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of things I have seen working in the field for only a few years.

So maybe they don't frag the motor. Let's say I'd rather bullshit with my buddy in the back room so I just slap a filter on it and don't change the oil or even worse just wipe the filter off because it is the same brand we use.Your oil is the same oil from 5 oil changes ago and slowly beats down your engine and wears it out. I just bump the heads on the alignment machine instead of aligning the car. Your tires wear out sooner. I strip the pan putting the plug back in and you are on a trip or not at the same place you use every time (because you go wherever is cheapest, closest, etc) and the next place doesn't replace your pan for free. I don't rotate your tires as requested. Your tires get cupped and need replaced. I don't check the brakes. Your pads wear out halfway to Florida and you end up grinding into the rotors and destroying them preventing you from doing a pad slap or turning the rotors.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of things I have seen working in the field for only a few years.

Whoever does this needs fired and punched in the face.