When do you get rid of full coverage on a vehicle?

Trouble Maker

So, what triggers dropping full coverage for you?

I did not have Full Coverage on my Beater. Granted, I only paid $400 for it and put about $1k into it.

We have full coverage on the Lancer (still has a loan) and the Grand Am (paid off). I will probably get something w/ an agreed upon value for the Bug.

KillJoy

I drop full coverage when the car is only worth 2-3k.Of my 3 cars now, all three are paid off, still have full coverage on my 06 Mustang GT and my 04 Mustang, but not on my 00 Sable DD.

I usually calculate out the cost of how much full coverage vs liability only for a year and then see when it would be good to drop it. But I also keep cars until they absolutely die from being run into the ground.

Depends on cost for me, but when a car isn't worth a couple years premiums I don't bother. I only carry liability and comprehensive on my Camaro because dropping collision saved me a good amount, and since it isn't driven much its a risk I'm willing to take.

I never buy collision insurance. Why would I want to bet that I am going to have an at-fault accident?

Nobody's perfect. I did have an at-fault in 1976 and caused about $1500 damage. Considering that right now collision insurance on all my vehicles would run 6-8 grand per year, I'd say my decision not to have collision has paid off many, many times over.

I have 3 cars which I payed $600, $500, ands $1800 for. I still have full coverage on all. For me its only $20 more per month for full coverage so I just go with it.

Depends on cost for me, but when a car isn't worth a couple years premiums I don't bother. I only carry liability and comprehensive on my Camaro because dropping collision saved me a good amount, and since it isn't driven much its a risk I'm willing to take.

This ^

Obviously I wouldn't pay for full coverage unless I had to seeing as how I'm sure that I'm a better driver than Doc and Brian.

j/k hahaha. I would consider keeping it more in Houston than in Columbus due to the higher number of illegal/uninsured motorists.

I carry Liability with uninsured motorist. My brother had his car hit last year from a guy with no insurance and it saved his ass.

I base it on replacement value of car. Anything over 3k dollars I will keep full coverage on. Less then that its liability.

I have full coverage on everything because its only a couple hundred more per year than basic liability and I'd lose thousands if I didn't and had an accident. Even if its not your fault the other person has to have insurance for your car to be fixed, and working in insurance I see many people get hit, don't have collision, and them be up shit creek.

Obviously every ones situation varies but I keep comprehensive on my 18 year old beater. It added $10/month but its well worth it. Has a $0 deductible for any glass/weather/animal related incidents. Alot of people dont even consider this when dropping full coverage.

I used to only carry liability, then I realized that comprehensive was worth the extra few bucks. I've hit two deer and had someone smash into my parked truck and run off. Sucks when other people/animals fuck up your shit, and you're the one stuck paying for it.

When my Cost of replacement to fucks given ratio reaches homeostasis

:lol:

I always carry full coverage on all cars. I got fucked years ago when I had only liability on my Grand Am when it got totaled. Unless it's a $500 beater, I will carry full coverage. My wife's 11 year old CRV has full coverage for $35/month because it's still worth $3-4k.

I have full on my bike and Scion but liability only on the GMC.

For me its when I think the car is worth so little that I might end up junking it instead of fixing it. I COULD drop full off my cars as all are paid off but you just never know. I don't think it would save me a lot either so why bother.

I have full coverage on everything because its only a couple hundred more per year than basic liability and I'd lose thousands if I didn't and had an accident. Even if its not your fault the other person has to have insurance for your car to be fixed, and working in insurance I see many people get hit, don't have collision, and them be up shit creek.

This is not always the case. Uninsured Motorist Property Damage will take care of the damage to your car if someone without insurance hits it, and usually will carry a very low deductible (between $200 and $300 is what I usually see). In most states it's a very cheap coverage to have.

The general rule of thumb is that if you know you would not bother fixing the car if it were totaled out, then there isn't much point in carrying full coverage. If anything, keep comprehensive on at a high deductible but with a $0 glass deductible. UMPD will often cover hit and run incidents as well, but it's something to check with your company.

I had full coverage on the 95 Regal my wife had that I paid $1500 for. A few years later a tree fell on the back roof, broke the rear window and scratched the paint and broke the antenna. Insurance gave me $2k for the damages. If I didn't have full coverage (only a few bucks more a month), I'd be pay for all of it.

The cost difference just isn't enough to drop full coverage IMHO. Of course I don't have a beater so that may be why it works out that way for me.

BTW...you guys who get less coverage because you think you are somehow a better driver than the other people on the road...wow. Think of it this way...how often do you drink from a glass? Have ever done that thing where you tap your teeth or pinch a little bit of lip between the glass and your teeth....usually followed by a loud "Fck!"? You'd think you were pretty damn good at drinking from a glass by now wouldn't you? But actually things we do every day become things we pay less attention to because we can. That is where mistakes come from. Same holds for everyday driving. I'm sure you are Mr. Special at the track or (gasp) on the road when you need to be. But I contend there is no such thing as being a mistake-free every-day driver. Get the full coverage dude. Consider it the smart fiscal thing to do and ignore the tweek to your ego.

So, what triggers dropping full coverage for you?

Nothing. Having full coverage vs less is not much less per year, at least in my experience. It is great when you get hit by someone who is uninsured. Also if your car is stolen it is all taken care of. Only time I would have liability is if my monthly insurance bills took away from putting food in my stomach. Since I started driving that has never been the case.