Acura of Columbus

Dr. Pomade

They said they would sell me a loaded 2012 MDX for $1500 over invoice. Earlier in the thread Josh said in Houston he could get one for $500 over invoice. I realize on a $50k+ vehicle $1500 is not a ton relatively speaking but still - $1500 is $1500.

Thoughts?

Also, thanks Alex for chiming in - your insight is always appreciated.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They said they would sell me a loaded 2012 MDX for $1500 over invoice. Earlier in the thread Josh said in Houston he could get one for $500 over invoice. I realize on a $50k+ vehicle $1500 is not a ton relatively speaking but still - $1500 is $1500.

Thoughts?

FWIW in todays market I don't see $50k vehicles flying out the doors much. Someone should be able to hit you with a better deal than that. Just shop around with the phone and have them do courtesy delivery at Lindsey, then rub it in to them when you pick it up :gabe:

FWIW in todays market I don't see $50k vehicles flying out the doors much. Someone should be able to hit you with a better deal than that. Just shop around with the phone and have them do courtesy delivery at Lindsey, then rub it in to them when you pick it up :gabe:

I know I keep talking about the Acadia Denali BUT out of our inventory of nearly 50 Acadias, all but two are the Acadia Denali. They start around $44k and go up to around $51k. We sell about 20 of them a month. On top of Acadias we sell about 10 Enclaves a month and 5-6 GMC Yukons and Yukon Denalis. Almost all of them are over $45,000. Granted, we're close to UA, Powell, and Dublin. We also don't turn down any viable offers. Some dealerships run off of volume, some run off of gross. To get the best deal possible, call the new car manager. For the most part, we're all whores and will drop our pants.

I still think you should look at a GMC product :gabe:

Pretending that the dealership is making you a good deal by selling 1500 over invoice is horrible. Large dealership include a "pack" into every invoice paper that you get to see. They sometimes hide it as "advertising" or "shipping" on the invoice. It is neither of those. It is strictly profit for the dealership. On a new car you will pay anywhere from 400-3000 depending on price of car. So if they are saying 1500 over invoice they are making anywhere from 1900-4500 dollars profit.

They also wont want to negotiate as much on the price if you are not financing. They hide even more profit within the financing numbers if you go thru them for financing. Even your own bank will do the same on your financing.

I could type a book on the ways a large dealership makes money.

Example your bank tells you hey great news we can do 2.9% for you. When the bank will actually finance at 1.9%. 1% profit directly in pocket and no one except for dealership or the bank is wiser to it.

I kinda skimmed thru the thread but I dont think the Dr. is financing.

To expand on the above. Most salesman will honestly not know anything about a dealership "pack" So when they say that they are only making 1500 dollars they will only make 10% of that 1500 and will not get any commission from the rest of the profit that the dealership hides in the price.

I know I keep talking about the Acadia Denali BUT out of our inventory of nearly 50 Acadias, all but two are the Acadia Denali. They start around $44k and go up to around $51k. We sell about 20 of them a month. On top of Acadias we sell about 10 Enclaves a month and 5-6 GMC Yukons and Yukon Denalis. Almost all of them are over $45,000. Granted, we're close to UA, Powell, and Dublin. We also don't turn down any viable offers. Some dealerships run off of volume, some run off of gross. To get the best deal possible, call the new car manager. For the most part, we're all whores and will drop our pants.

I still think you should look at a GMC product :gabe:

I'd love to see the green sheets for dealers here locally and compare that to when my family was in the business. Business today is not what it used to be. That I know. You work at Tobin? Don't get me started on that place. Nothing against you as I don't know you. FWIW, there's no comparing a Acadia and MDX. On paper and specs perhaps, but not actually owning one. Besides, GM's 3.6l is no where at all what the 3.5l-3.7l Honda motor is. Again, in numbers but not quality.

I'd love to see the green sheets for dealers here locally and compare that to when my family was in the business. Business today is not what it used to be. That I know. You work at Tobin? Don't get me started on that place. Nothing against you as I don't know you. FWIW, there's no comparing a Acadia and MDX. On paper and specs perhaps, but not actually owning one. Besides, GM's 3.6l is no where at all what the 3.5l-3.7l Honda motor is. Again, in numbers but not quality.

I've been there seven years. Started out as a sales person and have moved up through the dealership. About a year and a half ago we went through a lot of changes. New general manager, new sales manager (me). Things are way better than they were. Who would have thought if customers were happier, we'd sell more cars and make more money? Novel concept...

I've been there seven years. Started out as a sales person and have moved up through the dealership. About a year and a half ago we went through a lot of changes. New general manager, new sales manager (me). Things are way better than they were. Who would have thought if customers were happier, we'd sell more cars and make more money? Novel concept...

Good to hear. Back in 2006 when I tried to buy my GXP there the place was a hole. I worked there in College when it was Gill. Ronny Delma was my GM. Good guy. My family exited the business back in the 90's but were tight with the Gills and Chesrowns.

Where did you get the figures on what they cost invoice? I'm in the process of negotiating with Lindsay Acura and want to know who to quote.

Cars.com, Edmunds, truecar, etc... all have it!

Just make sure you double check because some sites list options that are standard in packages. So if you aren't careful they will add a few hundred here and there that aren't suppose to be when its already included in base price....

When it comes down to it, make them show you the invoice....a good dealer should offer it up!

Thoughts?

I'd laugh at them for that price and especially this time of year. You should have no trouble getting a better price and if they don't want to sell it for that, I wouldn't personally want to do business with them.

Remember they are still making 3-4% profit on the MDX even if you pay invoice. Not to mention that doesn't include any dealer kickbacks, programs or incentives Acura gives them that you don't know about.

I would tell them straight up, this is the last model year of the car before a total redesign. Invoice or nothing! If you are paying cash or bringing them a check (at invoice price) you essentially are paying them $2,000 to unload it off the truck, do a pre-delivery inspection and file a few papers. Its not like they spent hours looking at cars with you, selling you on it, custom ordering what you wanted, blah...bla...bla.... It's an Acura, essentially the options are base, Nav or DVD players, that's it...

If you want to light a fire with them, email about 10 dealers within driving distance. Send out a blanket email, I want a NEW MDX Advance w/Entertainment in ____ color with ____ interior and I'm willing to pay INVOICE today! I bet you get at least 3 that jump on it if they have the color combo/options in stock.

I don't even dick around with these idiot salesman anymore especially when 99/100 I'm educating them on the product THEY sell. Once I know what I want, I just do the internet deals and start emailing. 30-minutes of searching/emailing and I can have the deal without any BS. Show up with a check and drive away,.....I don't have time for all there little games they want to play....

Pretending that the dealership is making you a good deal by selling 1500 over invoice is horrible. Large dealership include a "pack" into every invoice paper that you get to see. They sometimes hide it as "advertising" or "shipping" on the invoice. It is neither of those. It is strictly profit for the dealership. On a new car you will pay anywhere from 400-3000 depending on price of car. So if they are saying 1500 over invoice they are making anywhere from 1900-4500 dollars profit.

They also wont want to negotiate as much on the price if you are not financing. They hide even more profit within the financing numbers if you go thru them for financing. Even your own bank will do the same on your financing.

I could type a book on the ways a large dealership makes money.

Example your bank tells you hey great news we can do 2.9% for you. When the bank will actually finance at 1.9%. 1% profit directly in pocket and no one except for dealership or the bank is wiser to it.

I kinda skimmed thru the thread but I dont think the Dr. is financing.

I didn't see this...

+1 .....all good points!

If you are paying cash or bringing them a check (at invoice price)......I don't have time for all there little games they want to play....

exactly. growing up and having sold cars, we used to joke around with people who just wanted a price because in reality, if they aren't buying it right now, the number is meaningless anyway; so just show up ready to play.

I Bought all three of our current vehicles that way. Works if you are paying for them up front. Not many dealers will even debate someone ready to just do the deal.

exactly. growing up and having sold cars, we used to joke around with people who just wanted a price because in reality, if they aren't buying it right now, the number is meaningless anyway...

Wait, wat? Are you saying the price of the car doesn't matter... if you aren't paying in cash right now?

Cars.com, Edmunds, truecar, etc... all have it!

Just make sure you double check because some sites list options that are standard in packages. So if you aren't careful they will add a few hundred here and there that aren't suppose to be when its already included in base price....

When it comes down to it, make them show you the invoice....a good dealer should offer it up!

I'd laugh at them for that price and especially this time of year. You should have no trouble getting a better price and if they don't want to sell it for that, I wouldn't personally want to do business with them.

Remember they are still making 3-4% profit on the MDX even if you pay invoice. Not to mention that doesn't include any dealer kickbacks, programs or incentives Acura gives them that you don't know about.

I would tell them straight up, this is the last model year of the car before a total redesign. Invoice or nothing! If you are paying cash or bringing them a check (at invoice price) you essentially are paying them $2,000 to unload it off the truck, do a pre-delivery inspection and file a few papers. Its not like they spent hours looking at cars with you, selling you on it, custom ordering what you wanted, blah...bla...bla.... It's an Acura, essentially the options are base, Nav or DVD players, that's it...

If you want to light a fire with them, email about 10 dealers within driving distance. Send out a blanket email, I want a NEW MDX Advance w/Entertainment in ____ color with ____ interior and I'm willing to pay INVOICE today! I bet you get at least 3 that jump on it if they have the color combo/options in stock.

I don't even dick around with these idiot salesman anymore especially when 99/100 I'm educating them on the product THEY sell. Once I know what I want, I just do the internet deals and start emailing. 30-minutes of searching/emailing and I can have the deal without any BS. Show up with a check and drive away,.....I don't have time for all there little games they want to play....

I can't fault you for pointing out what in many cases is true, but don't talk about a dealership making profit as a dirty thing. Would you do your job for free? Profit is not a dirty word, and a car dealers as a business trying to make money shouldn't be frowned upon as something unethical.

Wait, wat? Are you saying the price of the car doesn't matter... if you aren't paying in cash right now?

He meant people would just come in and BS for a price with no real plan to ever buy. They just wanted to talk a mean game never to be heard form again...

I can't fault you for pointing out what in many cases is true, but don't talk about a dealership making profit as a dirty thing. Would you do your job for free? Profit is not a dirty word, and a car dealers as a business trying to make money shouldn't be frowned upon as something unethical.

I have no problem with them making a profit but them making $4-10k+ for a 30 minute transaction is a freaking joke. I'd be glad to pay them by the minute for there service, they sure as heck wouldn't be making what they make if that's what you mean.

My real problem lies in the dirty dealers that want to charge full MSRP or some other idiotic amount and then play games with the buyer. Messing with peoples interest rate, low balling the trade-in, scare tactics, "oh what do you want your payment to be".....typical BS,....I do frown upon it and will NOT let someone get taken advantage of. You may see an uneducated consumer but there is a difference between making a profit and plain ROBBING someone....

wrong

Feel free to correct me...

Most models have BASE, TECHNOLOGY(includes Nav) and ADVANCED as the three options. You are stuck with whatever comes in those packages and that's it. The only exception is the TL/RDX if you want FWD or AWD.

You can NOT single out certain options like a Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc...etc...and personalize your order. For instance you can't order Adaptive Cruise Control on a base MDX, etc.

I have no problem with them making a profit but them making $4-10k+ for a 30 minute transaction is a freaking joke. I'd be glad to pay them by the minute for there service, they sure as heck wouldn't be making what they make if that's what you mean.

My real problem lies in the dirty dealers that want to charge full MSRP or some other idiotic amount and then play games with the buyer. Messing with peoples interest rate, low balling the trade-in, scare tactics, "oh what do you want your payment to be".....typical BS,....I do frown upon it and will NOT let someone get taken advantage of. You may see an uneducated consumer but there is a difference between making a profit and plain ROBBING someone....

Again, I agree with what you're saying in regards to dirty dealers, but we all have to operate in the same world whether we're ethical or unethical about our business.

You say you refuse to deal with someone who low-balls you on trade and asks for full value for their car; do you see the hypocrisy in that?

You shop around a car and DEMAND that a dealer accept less that they want to on it, yet when a dealer asks you to consider doing the same for your trade in it becomes robbery or bad business?

I'm not saying you're wrong for doing what you do. I get paid to work with people who are educated and uneducated about the auto finance world, to inform them of their options and to help them reach the most financially viable solution to their transport needs. Its every person's right to ask for a better deal. Its also your right to badmouth us for not accepting a deal, but I ask you to keep this in mind too:

Its my job to make money for the company and myself, not an easy task when I get a customer who sees every dollar that goes out of his pocket and into mine as robbery. I only ask you, for manager's and salespeople's sake, to not treat dealership employees like scum. You'll find that a lot of your vehicular problems can be solved simply by having a dealer that you can connect with. People will go to great lengths to help someone they really WANT to help.

Again, I agree with what you're saying in regards to dirty dealers, but we all have to operate in the same world whether we're ethical or unethical about our business.

You say you refuse to deal with someone who low-balls you on trade and asks for full value for their car; do you see the hypocrisy in that?

You shop around a car and DEMAND that a dealer accept less that they want to on it, yet when a dealer asks you to consider doing the same for your trade in it becomes robbery or bad business?

I'm not saying you're wrong for doing what you do. I get paid to work with people who are educated and uneducated about the auto finance world, to inform them of their options and to help them reach the most financially viable solution to their transport needs. Its every person's right to ask for a better deal. Its also your right to badmouth us for not accepting a deal, but I ask you to keep this in mind too:

Its my job to make money for the company and myself, not an easy task when I get a customer who sees every dollar that goes out of his pocket and into mine as robbery. I only ask you, for manager's and salespeople's sake, to not treat dealership employees like scum. You'll find that a lot of your vehicular problems can be solved simply by having a dealer that you can connect with. People will go to great lengths to help someone they really WANT to help.

This x's 1,000,000

It's your job to get paid, and my job as a consumer to not get hosed....

There is no hypocrisy in my deals. I take care of my vehicles and my cars look NEW. Some dealers want to offer below trade in value on a car that will be turned around and sold as a CPO, that's ridiculous. I'll just sell it myself and save GIVING them a $4k+ profit. Its one thing if the vehicle is beat to death and/or know its going straight to the auction.....its another thing to try and screw someone over to line your pockets. MSRP is just that, MANUFACTURE SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE....its just more fluff built into the price to go into a dealers pockets. Don't get me started on dealers charging a market adjustment or some other BS on top of MSRP...

I don't treat dealership people like scum, when they come at me like scum and play games....they are treated as such.

This was never directed at you and still isn't. This is about the MANY dealers I have dealt with that are complete CRAP! If you aren't doing any of these shenanigans, then you have nothing to be mad about. If anything it will make you go to work everyday and prove to people you are NOT one of these dealers....

This was never directed at you and still isn't. This is about the MANY dealers I have dealt with that are complete CRAP! If you aren't doing any of these shenanigans, then you have nothing to be mad about. If anything it will make you go to work everyday and prove to people you are NOT one of these dealers....

I guess what I'm suggesting is that we need to do our part to make sure those crap dealers get squeezed out of the market. I work very hard at my job to not come across as a greasy car salesman. Yes, I offer people less than they'd like on their trades, and yes, I ask them to pay more than invoice on our cars. That's just part of the negotiation.

What I ask of you then, is to help us out in getting rid of scumbag dealers. If you do blanket emails and just give your business to the lowest bidder, you're indirectly feeding the system of greasy dealers taking advantage of consumers. You won't be sure if you're giving your business to a dealer that makes their living screwing people if you never walk in the showroom and deal with a salesperson.

I've got no problem calling out shitty dealers on their practices, but how are you sure which dealers are shitty because they simply cant afford to accept your deal, and which are shitty because they're legitimately trying to screw you? Spend half an hour to an hour in a dealership and the answer presents itself immediately. Make us EARN your business through good service and you'll not only get the best price but you'll also get a dedicated service team. You may get the best price a different way, which is good for you, but it may end up being bad for an ethical dealer.