Acura of Columbus

Dr. Pomade

They have a loaded 2011 (new) MDX - with technology and entertainment package (including rear DVD), the upgraded wheels and tires, fender flares, ski rack thing on the top, etc., etc. for $56k out the door - tax, title, everything.

They also have a loaded 2012 TL - AWD, upgraded package, etc. - for $46k out the door.

Good deals, bad deals, or about right?

Your money and obviously your wife to make happy, but in those dollar ranges, your best bet is to find either one of those 1-2 years old with low mileage. The only reason I say that is the initial depreciation hit on cars basically means you're pissing away $10k. Hell even our minivan with only 4k and 8 months on the ODO saved us $10k.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have a loaded 2011 (new) MDX - with technology and entertainment package (including rear DVD), the upgraded wheels and tires, fender flares, ski rack thing on the top, etc., etc. for $56k out the door - tax, title, everything.

They also have a loaded 2012 TL - AWD, upgraded package, etc. - for $46k out the door.

Last week, I met with an old friend who is looking to get out of his '05 MDX into a nicer ride...he's a single, Regional Manager-type who puts 50k+ miles on a car in a year covering the midwest. He knows I'm a car nut so we did a few test drives and then had a beer to discuss.

Since he owns his ride and puts so many miles, I suggested a diesel and he was interested. We went to Crown Mercedes and MAG, test drove the 2012 ML350 CDI, a used 2010 E350, 2012 BMW 335d, and a 2012 Passat TDI. All were unbelievable cars (especially the ML).

I am shocked that people buy MDX's for anything above $40k. The fully-loaded ML, with the most amazing seats I've sat in and awesome torque, was $56k sticker. Even if that cost goes higher with TT&L, I would take that 50x over a new MDX. I didn't realize Acura's pricing has crept up that high.

Definitely agree with Tim...look for at least a demo, if not a 1-2 year old lightly used model. Depreciation is a bitch.

If you can get it from Lindsay, go there. I am on vehicle 2 purchased from them, and Acura number 3. Always had good luck with the service and sales staff. They get a five star rating from me.

Agreed I bought my Jeep there and was very happy with the process.

I am shocked that people buy MDX's for anything above $40k. The fully-loaded ML, with the most amazing seats I've sat in and awesome torque, was $56k sticker. Even if that cost goes higher with TT&L, I would take that 50x over a new MDX. I didn't realize Acura's pricing has crept up that high.

The new MBZ ML's are pimp. My brother in law and I drove one when he was looking. Still can't believe he crapped out and bought a Lexus SUV :dumb: He's Japanese, so I ride him like a bitch on that decision. :gabe:

Definitely agree with Tim...look for at least a demo, if not a 1-2 year old lightly used model. Depreciation is a bitch.

The reason people now buy acura and lexus over MB is the same reason on a larger scale that honda and toyota out sell gm- too many problems. An acura drives like a german car fwiw imho. Lexus cars do not- short of the ISF. Which is why we bought an RL over the GS.

Thread jack /over.

The reason people now buy acura and lexus over MB is the same reason on a larger scale that honda and toyota out sell gm- too many problems. An acura drives like a german car fwiw imho. Lexus cars do not- short of the ISF. Which is why we bought an RL over the GS.

What? I thought it was because they really liked their toaster, I mean accord, but they got a raise and wanted something their kid wasn't driving.

I'd say they aren't great. The 2012's have been out for a couple months so with the MDX you are essentially paying invoice for a 1-year old car (2 once it leaves the lot) vehicle. If the dealer was smart, they would give you the 2012 (w/same accessories) for the same price....if that's what you want. I just don't think they are worth that kind of money...

If she really wants one, I'd get the base model $40k and install iPad holders in the back for TV/Video needs. She'll probably change wheels anyway and I'm not a fan of Acura Nav's.

Holy shit, $56k for a fuckin ACURA? WOW!

Have you been car shopping lately?

You can't get much decent in a mid-size+ suv these days without spending $55k+...

Even a loaded 4x4 Tahoe stickers over $55k. The same in an Escalade starts in the $60k's and goes over $80k+ very quick...

Since he owns his ride and puts so many miles, I suggested a diesel and he was interested. We went to Crown Mercedes and MAG, test drove the 2012 ML350 CDI, a used 2010 E350, 2012 BMW 335d, and a 2012 Passat TDI. All were unbelievable cars (especially the ML).

Only problem is the ML is in the RDX class which is a much smaller SUV. You have to spend GL money to get an MDX size vehicle and they start $62k for a base model. A loaded GL550 is $90k...

Not to mention, if you want an ML to have the same features as the $56k MDX, you are talking $68k. That's why people buy the Acura's over other brands...

Thread jack /over.

Acura's drive and feel nothing like a German car. I have loved my Acura's but they are nothing like my German cars...

Only problem is the ML is in the RDX class which is a much smaller SUV. You have to spend GL money to get an MDX size vehicle and they start $62k for a base model. A loaded GL550 is $90k...

Acura's drive and feel nothing like a German car. I have loved my Acura's but they are nothing like my German cars...

ML is larger than the RDX, much. the RDX is Q5, GLK, X3 size. The ML is a class larger.

And agreed on them feeling NOTHING like a german vehicle.

Y U NO TELL HIM TO GET 550DX?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/22/2012-bmw-550dx-to-be-awd-torquemonster-with-516-lb-ft/

ML is larger than the RDX, much. the RDX is Q5, GLK, X3 size. The ML is a class larger.

And agreed on them feeling NOTHING like a german vehicle.

I'm sorry, you are correct in class...I was thinking GLK. BUT...interior size/dimensions wise the RDX is comparable to the ML front/rear room but the ML does have a bigger cargo hole with the seats down.

Drove my bro-in-law's '09 X5 4.8i Sport for a month...constant electrical glitches and 100hp "limp home" modes? :fuckthat:

No thanks, Brojangles.

I meant the Q7, but whatever. :dumb:

Had my cruising @ the 135 limiter and took it on several multi- mile 120+ runs during a trip to the east coast.

It had ZERO issues.

I've driven the both and I'd buy the RDX over the MDX any day.

So much more lively and fun IMO.

If given a choice, I'd buy neither and get an Q5 / X3/ or Q7 / X5.

The RDX is fun but usability, its tiny inside....

I agree, that's why the wife wants an X3 M-sport or X5M. Just can't see spending X5M money on a DD not to mention a new X5 will be out very soon. We'll probably end up with the X3...

Drove my bro-in-law's '09 X5 4.8i Sport for a month...constant electrical glitches and 100hp "limp home" modes? :dumb:

No thanks, Brojangles.

Will hold judgement on diesel Q5/Q7...

I haven't heard many problems with them other than the early HPFP issues. Otherwise, they aren't bad IMO....what ended up being wrong with your BIL's?

Jones the RDX is a turd, OP when you go to test drive the MDX make sure you drive it at low speeds around 30-40mph been seeing a ton of these come in the shop with torque converter vibrations.

Also Acura of Columbus's service dept isn't that good, A lot of their customers are heading over to us because of repeat come back issues, ask Andrew how they took care of his ATF leak on his RL