Lost vats key question?

lcz06

Happy New Year everyone! So long story short, I went out with this girl I been seeing and lost her car keys. It's for an 01 trans am and she does not have a spare set. So I been looking at all of my options for getting a replacement key made when their is no key to copy from but would like some input in all possible options. I did call a chev dealership because Pontiac went out of business and they said it would be around $80 and there's no refund or guarantee that the replacement keys would work or not. So is their a way I can read the vats code without the key from the ignition? I have access inside the car? HELP PLEASE!

you can get the keycode from the VIN i believe. Take the VIN along with proof of ownership to anywhere that makes keys (sears comes to mind first) and they should be able to make one. Maybe even a chevy stealership.

edit; quick google yielded this: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091215211729AADe5nE

http://www.ehow.com/how_4830847_make-key-you_ve-lost-original.html

you can get the keycode from the VIN i believe. Take the VIN along with proof of ownership to anywhere that makes keys (sears comes to mind first) and they should be able to make one. Maybe even a chevy stealership.

Yeah, but once I figure out the proper vats code, I have no key to copy from?

I don't know that you can get the ign. cylinder out of the column without a key. I believe that is where you verify the key code? Scott will have to clarify, specifically.

The way GM usually does ign. cylinders is if the cylinder goes bad they re-key it to the key you have (OEM). So, if you provide a VIN they can make the key from scratch according to what the ign. cylinder is keyed. It costs what it does because of the chip in the key, plus they charge you to "look up" what the code is because I believe they are charged to access it.

Again, you may want to PM Cordell for the best answer.

The dealership should be able to look up the key code and vats code so long as it has never been changed, however there have been cases where the vats code is not available. I beleive you can only look up key codes back to 2000, the parts department deals with that. If you can not get a vats code it would have to be hooked up to a tool to simulate the vats and figure out what it is, thats assuming you have a valid key code.

Worst case scenario you have to buy a new lock cylinder, and have the dealership test the car for the vats code. Honestly this happens more often then not, and has to be done at the dealership because of the special tools. The lock cylinders for VATS come pre-coded and cannot be changed (maybe by a locksmith, but we don't).

I was a parts manager at a chevy dealership years ago and Scott is correct. Take your VIN in with a copy of your registration and they can look up the vats #. They will fax off your vin and it will fax back a key code for the dealership to cut the key. The process takes like 10 min unless they have changed it.

I was a parts manager at a chevy dealership years ago and Scott is correct. Take your VIN in with a copy of your registration and they can look up the vats #. They will fax off your vin and it will fax back a key code for the dealership to cut the key. The process takes like 10 min unless they have changed it.

they have gotten a lot more anal about proving ownership, make sure you call first so you have the correct documentation. GM tends to be pretty hit or miss on stuff thats 10 years old or older, its all on computer now.